Girot

CAV:SO - Force Group Examples

The first four images are CORE SET ONLY models.  There are enough models to easily build four distinct (and relatively balanced) non-faction Force Groups.  OR you can field a full Malvernis force and three non-faction forces, again with relative balance.

In any event here are the graphics you've been waiting for:

blackrosepiratesfg_by_girot-d7zr0wg.jpg

redspadesmercs_fg_by_girot-d7zr0w6.jpg

malvernislegion_fg_by_girot-d7zr4ug.jpg

terranlegion_cfg_by_girot-d7zr0w1.jpg

rachhuntingparty_fg_by_girot-d7zr0wa.jpg

Edited by Girot
  • Like 5

Oh, the above reflects where we were at with the Core Set as of 1100 (AZ time-zone) on September 20th.

If we clear the rest of the Terran/Rach stretch goals there will be enough to get three or four full squads of those factions.

Looking at your Malvernis 432nd legion example, Attack Squad 1 and 2 contain the identical set of units.  Is there some sort of convention people use when playing the game to help keep track of which units belong to which squads? 

I suspect at the beginning of the game it's easy since they're probably grouped, but as the game progresses, that may be not be the case.  You could use colored dice (all AS 1 units use blue dice for tracking dmg) but that doesn't work unless the unit has taken some damage.

Edited by Slashhamster

If you consistently use the same squads, then you can differentiate with the paint scheme, either on the model itself or colors/numbers/etc on the base edges. If you want something more flexible, some Warlord players use little pipe-cleaner rings to mark various models--just slip it over a missile pod or gun barrel.

Wouldn't all but the first and third violate the "A force group cannot have more secondary squads than primary ones.

When creating a new squad" (pg 16 in the sneak peek)?

Edited to answer the squad ID question.

I keep different color sets of D12s for each squad. Group 1 is green, group 2 is blue. The dice sit on the table next to the model so if you have identical models in the same squad you can tell which is the one that has taken damage.

There may be a project to make colored hexes to go under the Reaper bases in the works. They may also have a spot for unit #. But any more details would probably be seen as commerce and not be allowed.

Edited by Ludo
  • Like 1

I keep different color sets of D12s for each squad. Group 1 is green, group 2 is blue. The dice sit on the table next to the model so if you have identical models in the same squad you can tell which is the one that has taken damage.

Yeah I mentioned that as one possibility; I'm just not sure how that works if you have a lot of undamaged units.  If it was a D10, you could just put them all out initially on the 0 side.  Actually, looking at the sample Dictator B data card in the rules again, it only shows 10 levels of damage.  Does this vary by model?  If it was 10 instead of 12, that would be this trivial to deal with.

Edited to add: If some of this is answered in the rulebook, feel free to tell me to RTFM.  I haven't had a chance to sit down and read through the whole thing yet, and only got as far as some of the basic overview of the mechanics.

Edited by Slashhamster

We have used the d12 to help with larger games. Using different colors for different squads and moving them from back to front once it has completed its actions. There is a multitude of ways to do this and you just have to go with what makes a better game for you.

@Slashhampster:  Keeping track of squads is best done by squad markings painted on, or by using different types of basing materials for each squad (i.e. one is desert, one is forest, etc).  Also using a different color d12 per squad works just as well.  ::D:

on that note prepare to have your mind exploded:

terrain34thlegion_fg_by_girot-d7zs2kc.jp

Edited by Girot
  • Like 1

@Girot care to make an estimate on the TV for that Terran force? It looks ridiculous

I have no idea, haha.  I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess 60,000?

EDIT:  The updated TVP values for the Terran and Rach models aren't available yet, otherwise I'd have included it.  ::D:

Edited by Girot