Girot

CAV:SO - Force Group Examples

For kicks and giggles, I wrote a spreadsheet that calculates the cost of adding each of these forces to your pledge.

Terran comes out to: 306 if you buy the core, or 258 if you do it without the core.

Rach comes out to: 241 if you buy the core, and 189 without the core.

Here's the sheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SofqxO46aLxr8O4GFJ46VrSl7EXE_cEEJStID-PWeXA/edit?usp=sharing

C&C welcome

Edited by wax_eagle
  • Like 2

That is excellent and swift work, good sir!  Thank you!

UPDATE:

I updated both "mega force group" graphics due to typos and to clarify that the models used are both unlocked and revealed (but-still-locked).

That is more than my current or projected pledge amount :(

Well... I mean that's way more than I intend to pledge as well. I think at least on first pass we'll probably end up with one of everything, and then figure out what we need exactly for our armies and maybe pick those up. But I'm thinking more manageable force sizes than 60k. (as a complete n00b I figure it will be a while before I want to run a game with more than a couple of squads).

• Like 1

There was never any expectations here. I only sought to demonstrate what could be possible. What any given general chooses to do is his own call.   :devil:

Edited by Girot
  • Like 1

Girot, with just the Red Spades, Black Rose, Rach Hunters, and Terran 35, it seems like you didn't allocate the 4 Wights, 1 Halberd, 1 Cougar, 1 Dictator, and 1 Warden...

would those just get reassigned to either Rach or Terran to make 4 close-to-equal-in-TVP groups to play 4P Battle Royale?  (or 2v2)

Edited by bhchan
  • Like 1

Girot, with just the Red Spades, Black Rose, Rach Hunters, and Terran 35, it seems like you didn't allocate the 4 Wights, 1 Halberd, 1 Cougar, 1 Dictator, and 1 Warden...

would those just get reassigned to either Rach or Terran to make 4 close-to-equal-in-TVP groups to play 4P Battle Royale?  (or 2v2)

If you want the Faction Doctrines, then no.  

Given what's available in the Core Set (w/o add-ons) I did what I could and ended up with leftovers.  Why?  There was a lot of interest in seeing what could be done with each Faction as opposed to just the balance of minis available.  As long as you meet the 75%/6 model limits you could evenly distribute EVERYTHING into three or four relatively balanced non-faction forces.  The possible permutations are endless, lol.  I simply didn't have time to do that many graphical examples.

I also want to point out that without unit cards for most of these I did squad organization based mostly on what was Bulky and their armament.  I strived for balance but went with what would be the most fun, lol.  After all, that's the point of playing a game!

• Like 1

the unit cards won't come with the minis but will come in the book that i'll have to purchase elsewhen, right?

or will they make the stats available as a free pdf?  (maybe just toss that in for us kickstarters at least?)

ok, i know nothing about CAV so I don't know anything about factions either... I don't remember units being not available back in BT land but then again, I probably didn't play with all the rules correctly way back when either. :) 

though now that I think of it... something about the innersphere is starting to perculate up the memory banks.

ok, basically for $100 we'll have enough to play 2 players easily, 4 in a pinch if we don't worry about canon.  Can't wait for the KS to finish so they can ship out teh minis!

In the past, datacards have been made available as a free download separate from the book, allowing for easy updates/errata/etc.

In CAV 2, about half of the models were designated 'open market'--equipment old and common enough that any faction could use it. Each faction also had about 12 faction-specific models, which were the best cutting-edge hardware available. Mercenaries could only use open market models, but had a faction doctrine allowing up to 25% of their force to consist of faction-specific models (including ones from different factions).

In CAV:SO, all models are faction specific with the exception of a handful of generic transports. I imagine this is going to restrict the style of play of each faction fairly severely, as certain model types are completely absent in some factions (for example, Adon lacks direct-fire anti-soft capability, and will have to rely entirely on indirect missiles from the Hornet and Bishop to deal with infantry, aircraft, and light vehicles).

• Like 1

In CAV:SO, all models are faction specific with the exception of a handful of generic transports. I imagine this is going to restrict the style of play of each faction fairly severely, as certain model types are completely absent in some factions (for example, Adon lacks direct-fire anti-soft capability, and will have to rely entirely on indirect missiles from the Hornet and Bishop to deal with infantry, aircraft, and light vehicles).

This may not be entirely accurate. While most of the cards I've seen kept the main function of a unit some varied greatly. They may in fact have some other units that now serve those purposes.

• Like 2

The data cards will be seperate and will be able to be downloaded for free once the book is released.

We will be filling in the holes for each faction as I need some reason to make new minis :) also there will still be some open figs that anyone can use for their faction, though they will tend to be more generic (such as the cruise missile launchers )

• Like 3