Sign in to follow this  
Generic Fighter

GF's Current Projects...OF DOOM!!!!!!!

So, I promised to show off my Current Projects in the Fall Exchange Thread, so here goes nothing!

So, first off, I have  been having troubles with my Camera. It cannot seem to take non-fuzzy pics of minis consistently, even in macro mode. I took about 30 pictures of my current project minis...11 of those pics came out okay-ish. But at least one of every mini was included in those pics, so here are most of those.

100_2565_zpse2206265.jpg

100_2567_zps1c9fcc71.jpg

Project #1: Dragonborn Barbarian! Been playing Wednesday Night D&D stuff and have become friends with a couple of regulars. Both have been impressed with my painting "Skills", so I'm making minis for them. The First is playing a Dragonborn Barbarian with a fire/Volcanic flare. So, I took to my Plasticrack Chop-Shop, and created the Abomination above.

100_2581_zpsf0245cb0.jpg

100_2584_zps0f17f7a8.jpg

And there he is with a coat of Primer and the first red Base coat on his scales.

100_2570_zps54fef9c0.jpg

100_2585_zpsbe3accf2.jpg

Project #2: The other Player at the Wed. Game Is fairly young, about 14-15 ish. He has come a long way though, especially since he decided to try playing a Dwarf Paladin. So, I'm making him a custom Mini. Again, I went to the Chop-Shop, but was a little more reserved this time. I chopped off the original Axe, added an Icy Warhammer from a D&D Mini and a Beer Stein I got at GenCon a few years ago at a Mini Class.

100_2580_zps04843273.jpg

Project #3: Diversify my Tieflings! And Finish old projects while I'm at it :P This Lady has been half finished for months. And Yes, the pink hair IS intentional.

100_2576_zps4daf1a3e.jpg

Project #4: Mari the Sniper Ranger. This one is for a PC in my F2F 4E D&D Campaign that I run on Saturdays. This mini is apparently Admiral Thrune from some Pathfinder Adventure done up for their Pre-Painted Minis. All I care about though is that this is a Female Human with a Crossbow! You would not think that would be something difficult to find, but you would be wrong. Original Paint job was in a kind of bright red. Looks very different in these colors.

Anywho, Please comment. I live on Kind Words and Good Advice:)

GF

• Like 5

It looks like your camera is too close so you are getting a very narrow depth of focus. Try holding it further back and then cropping the images to size.

• Like 1

It took me forever to figure out the picture part of this hobby, but here are a few tips I have picked up:

1.  Use the macro mode on the camera (it looks like a little flower icon).

2.  Use the timer and a tripod (or at least something to set the camera on).  That way you have no chance of moving the camera.

3.  Use a neutral background (grey or blue seems to work the best for me). 

4.  Build a photo booth.  You can find pretty good tutorials on this online... but in essence you need some foam core board, tracing paper, masking tape, and lamps.  Then, inside the photo booth, whatever you decide to use for the background medium, place it at an angle so that you do not have corners to create shadows.  I lost my old one in my recent move, so I just built one about three weeks ago for about $15.00.

Hands down, the photo taking is the most frustrating part of this hobby when trying to get proper feedback.  I hope these tips help.

MK

Falstius,

I usually hold the Camera about 8-10 Inches away from the Mini. Is that enough, too much or too close?

Mousekiller,

I use macro mode. Not sure how to set up a Timer on my Camera but I can check. think I have a Small Tripod somewhere. I'll check for it. also, I will search for a better "Background" as well. as for a "Photo Booth", unfortunately I do not have the space for one. But if that changes, it sounds like a thing to have available!

GF

Macro mode will make the depth of focus narrower, unless you know what you are doing and want to put a lot of effort into pictures you are probably better off not using it and keeping the camera about a foot back. It depends on your camera too. Try some experimenting, bytes are cheap.

I can't post the link from my phone but Doug sunsdeth has a great tutorial on simple but effective photography. You can build on that to do the higher end stuff suggested by mousekiler if you still need it.

Edited by falstius

I'd try pulling the camera back a little bit more like 12-14 inches away. Make sure it's focused on the face/head area, hold steady, then snap the pic and crop a little bit. I use my iPhone 5 camera for all my pics and touch the screen where their face is to make it focus the little yellow box there and they seem to come out really nicely. 

• Like 1

First Update with Pics. Found my Tripod and some blank gray-ish Cardboard and took some more Pics of my most recent Progress. The Paint was still wet on parts of one of them! All but one came out Much Better than my last ones! The Tripod has a swivel thing on it and while adjusting stuff, I uh, took a picture of my Table from about 2 inches away:P And no I'm not sharing that Pic!

100_2589_zps1a84cbb7.jpg

100_2590_zps71271aba.jpg

First pic is slightly fuzzy but much better than the last time a took pics of this mini.

100_2591_zpsc5d66c82.jpg

100_2592_zpsb5ee53f3.jpg

Mari the Urban Ranger needs a bit of work on her face and a couple of other details.

100_2593_zps4bef17e0.jpg

100_2594_zps490e1f20.jpg

Aeragon the Dragonborn Barbarian has several of his Base Coats started.

100_2595_zpsd8c03855.jpg

100_2596_zps3a5d1b09.jpg

Quynn The Dwarven Paladin is barely started except the first details on his Shield.

GF

• Like 1