Von Krieger

A VK returns! Giant/Halloween Contest Entries of Flesh Golem and Hydra!

I found my little red fan, which means combined with the fact that it snowed today means that the upstairs is no longer a thermonuclear hellhole, and thus I can paint minis again, yay!

Since I'm a bit shaky, I figured that I'd get a nice big couple of figures for a couple of board contests underway.

So of the Halloween-themed contest, I've got the Flesh Golem and the Undertaker, and since I'm a bit shaky in the hands and have painted all of one human mini thus far, that narrows it down for me.

And for the Year of Giants contest, well, why not paint the biggest figure I own at the moment, the Hydra. HAIL HYDRA! *reflexive salute*

I also super glued together a couple of my minis that needed it since I had the glue out for the Hydra, and thus as a result if anyone needs any burglaries committed in the next few days, I'm currently lacking fingerprints.

So I didn't get much done before my back started being achy, just get down a base layer of Ginger Cookie. Mostly because the Hydra *reflexive salute* took a good three hours and a quarter bottle of paint. Why Ginger Cookie? Because I have about six bottles of the stuff from Xmas.

Mr. Five Heads gulped down a huge amount of the stuff, and was rather unhelpful with having tiny white specs appear in his scales every time I changed viewing angle on him. I'm not going to be slathering on a solid coat of paint onto a such a large and scaly beast any time soon. The dried glue on my hands also managed to get stuck to the dry paint, resulting in my removable of a few small chunks of paint. Not only do I have no fingerprints, the tips of my fingers now look like they're rotting off.

I'm thinking of painting the flesh golem in ashen blue, with this being Minnesota, a hypothermic quasiundead just makes sense.

For the ginger cookie addict? Not sure yet, Maybe keep with the Xmas goodness by splashing some Xmas Wreath over the ginger cookie. I think it'd be nice to have a Tiamat-hydra, but I'm not sure my limited experience will be up to the task of trying to blend five colors down into brown or try and make nice neat stripies down the back.

post-13030-0-01404800-1412378024_thumb.jpg

post-13030-0-18113500-1412378026_thumb.jpg

post-13030-0-03986100-1412434420_thumb.jpg

post-13030-0-50811400-1412434423_thumb.jpg

post-13030-0-56100200-1412434426_thumb.jpg

Edited by Von Krieger
  • Like 9

So looking over all the paints I have, the lightest blue seemed to be Weathered Bone from the Halloween Ghoulie Bag. So I decided to make that the skin tone for my frozen-to-death flesh golem.

post-13030-0-16024400-1417390912_thumb.jpg

post-13030-0-63987600-1417390915_thumb.jpg

And of the paints I had on hand (about a dozen bottles, plus the ones I put in my Bones learn to paint kit) an unnamed dark brown sample paint provided the pantaloons.

I painted the drawstring of said pantaloons with Leather Brown from the L2PK. I think I've got it done here in these images, but can't be certain.

I painted the base Pure White for snowy goodness as well.

post-13030-0-06602800-1417390920_thumb.jpg

post-13030-0-89429000-1417390922_thumb.jpg

I touched up the torso and the hands where I'd gotten a bit of brown and leather from the pants, and then slathered on a wash of 1/3 Blue Liner to 2/3 Flow Improver and used Blood Red for his eyes.

I also had wash leak down onto the base, which I covered once the wash dried.

post-13030-0-11419800-1417390929_thumb.jpg

post-13030-0-26695000-1417390932_thumb.jpg

And here he is complete!

post-13030-0-22228600-1417390670_thumb.jpg
post-13030-0-77148000-1417390671_thumb.jpg
post-13030-0-21520300-1417390673_thumb.jpg

Biggest issue I had was with my wash wanting to make bubbles, which I managed to tamp down by using a smaller brush, though I still kept getting bubbles here and there.

I think I need to add a bit more onto the base to cover up the wash incontinence, though.

post-13030-0-21280400-1417390926_thumb.jpg

Edited by Von Krieger
  • Like 5

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rigel
      As every space-cadet knows, life exists just about everywhere it can. Our spiral arm is just teeming with sentient species, Space Monsters, and things in between.

These silicious stalagmen, the Slishans of Titan, are probably in-between. They're from Hydra's Retro Raygun series, and their grumpy expressions and rugose crusts are delightful. 

Meet Gak and Yurk: 

And their colleague, Vork. Wait! Vork's got a gun! How did it get a gun? IS it actually a gun? Does it know how to use it--and if so, will Vork be a benevolent leader? 

Last but certainly not least, Old Grandcestor One-Tusk. I got a Roper in one of those WotC random boxes, and then never used it for a year. So I got some Green Stuff and put lips, tusks, a tongue, and an extra pair of eyes on there. 

What great spacebastards they are!

• By Rigel
      A wonderful piece of pulp adventure terrain, suitable for the Serpent Men of Valusia, the Yuan-Ti or Lizardfolk, or any game with dinosaur cults or a reptilian civilization. @Glitterwolf might find this useful--and it's a very painter-friendly sculpt.  

For scale, we have a 28mm Kirangozi and a 32mm safari explorer. 

• By Rigel
      If anyone looks qualified to declaim the Litany of ZAREK into an Omnicrophone from atop a golden hover-chariot, it is surely 62107, the Aeon Priest from Reaper's Numenera line. Look at this robed and jowled hierophant!

I feel like I should put more patterning on the robe, besides the Eye of Marduk. Any suggestions? 

There was also a Githzerai Monk I got in a grab-bag some years back and never used. A quick repaint and a pair of chainmail rings later, and hey presto! an Imperial assassin. 

And here's the landing party in total. If they need to conquer a *second* planet in the same day, they might ask for backup. 

(A lot of alien worlds look like the southern California Desert; this is well-known.)
    • By Rigel
      The Hype Priest spoke, his amplified voice shattering windows for blocks around.

"Who is like unto ZAREK?" he said, "Or who dares to oppose ZAREK?
      ZAREK, the Ineluctable! 
      ZAREK the Subjugator!
      ZAREK, the Undefeated! 
      ZAREK--merciful to his vassals! 
      ZAREK--cruel to the rebellious!
      ZAREK of the Shining Hawks! 
      ZAREK of the Galactic Throne! 
      ZAREK the Ever-Living! 
      ZAREK the Conqueror of Suns! 
      Prostrate yourselves before ZAREK and live! 
      Surrender your abject planet to ZAREK and live!
      Resist ZAREK and be swept from existence!
      Glory to ZAREK!" 

Any good spacefuture game needs an expansionist god-king with a cult army bent on planetary conquest, and Lord Zarek of Hydra's Imperials seem up to the task. I went with blue skin partly to emphasize them as aliens, partly to evoke blue-skinned gods and demons of multiple cultures (and also the Kree, various X-Men and Smurfs), and partly because I'd already used a lot of non-blue color schemes. 

The green and gold and metallic red are garish, but garish in a way I could see Frazetta paint, or imagine from Buck Rogers or Ming the Merciless.

Zarek is seen here with his Psi-Mages, Nodens and Oannes.

Better views of the Psi-Mages: 

Commander Shamash  keeps the legions in line with draconian discipline: 

Lugalbanda and Urartu, a pair of troopers. 

They drop out of the sky, take over a world, run it for a few hundred years, and set off for the next one. No one is quite sure why, but most of the sentient species in this sector have a cultural memory of the blue conquerors that came from the sky at the dawn of civilization. 

One such species, apparently very far advanced technologically, just up and *vanished* in the galactic recent past. Their ruined crystal sky-cities hung abandoned over a planet whose crust had been cracked into the familiar Eye motif. Glyphs a hundred kilometers long overwrote the main continent. Xenolinguists are still working on the translation, but have come to a consensus that one of the letter-groupings translates roughly to 

CONSCRIPTION.

• By Rigel
      Hydra's Robot Legion is fantastic. These are considerably taller than 28mm scale, and are big even on a heroic-scale standard.

These 'bots are how we learned tinkering with the First Law is a bad idea. Older models popular for security applications came with rheostats that would adjust "how harmful does a thing have to be to be Harm" and "how human is Human, anyway?" This allowed them to rationalize the use of nonlethal force to protect Earth (and Company) interests.

Hoooo boy. THAT was a lesson Earth learned in short order. Half of the Kuiper Belt is under the Moravec sphere of influence now. 

Here is a Heavy Support Legionnaire on patrol with a Neural Inhibitor. Be prepared to prove you are, in fact, human. or it will shoot. Documents are not sufficient as proof.

And an Optio out with a Legionnaire on perimeter duty. 

Their commanding officer, the Centurion (memetic viruses have become widespread on the outer settlements, and some of the robots have developed...eccentricities.)

And the entire hegemony under the literal iron fist of their gracious hierarch, Queen Mechanika.

ALL THE BOTS! 

• Who's Online   37 Members, 2 Anonymous, 108 Guests (See full list)