Over in the Randomness Thread, I was lamenting the state of my painting desk and how it was killing any interest I had in painting.  I finally bit the bullet and started organizing.  Ub3r asked for before and after pics, and I obliged.  While cleaning and stowing, I came across the case with some of my earliest minis and figured since I had the camera out already, I may as well snap some pics.  I didn't bother to set up my dedicated photo area, but they seem to have come out ok enough.

So without further adieu, I give you a pictorial timeline of my miniature painting.

DSC_0079.JPG

These two knights are some of the earliest example of my work.  They are either Heartbreaker or Citadel and have seen plenty of action over the years.  The swordless one on the left originally had a crescent moon crest on his helm that I promptly removed in what may have been my first conversion.

DSC_0077.JPG

These fine fellows are part of the Three Stage Fighters (from Grenadier? maybe Ral Partha I put them away and I'm too lazy to go check).  They were painted around the same time as the knights (late 80's).

Edited by Dilvish the Deliverer
  • Like 19

DSC_0075.JPG

Next up I have a pair of my favorite minis: some sort of 'Mancer from Earthdawn (Ral Partha I believe).  I never played Earthdawn, the fellow with the helmet was perfect to use for my Battle Mage Jelrek.  I miss that character; he created a spell that would assemble and then animate siege engines.  Good times.  Back the painting.  This marks the first time that I mixed colors.  I was using a mix of Armory and Citadel acrylics at this time (early 90's).

DSC_0078.JPG

Moving onto the mid and late 90's with some Citadel/GW minis.  Th Wood Elf Wardancers were painted in the mid 90's and were used for various PC's.  The red boots were magical and gave a bonus to initiative.  Te Bretonian Sorceress I painted in '99 after couple year hiatus from painting.

• Like 13

DSC_0076.JPG

In 2001 I tried to get my old high school gaming group to give the new DnD Miniatures game Chainmail a try.  It didn't take but I did paint up a pair of Hyenas and a Stonespike.

DSC_0081.JPG

In 2002, I had rejoined the Navy after a two year break and had discovered Reaper; and the boards.  I was stationed up in the Shipyards in Kittery MEhad read a post about a Black Lightning member who was hosting a paint and take at the Wizards Tower in Nashua NH.  I'm originally from a town right across the river so I figured I's drive the 45 minutes down and check it out.  While I was there I painted the above Black Legionnaires and met LadyStorm for the first time.

DSC_0080.JPG

And to conclude this trip sown memory lane, this is the first mini that I ever owned.  My folks gave me the Anti-Paladin (Mounted/Dismounted) and the Hireling boxed set, along with several 1E books for Christmas in '82.  However, I only got around to painting the dismounted version 4 or 5 years ago.  The rider from the mounted version is painted as well, but the horse is still just primer-ed.

• Like 14

These are great! Hopefully someday I'll be able to post minis from a long time ago. Everything's still so new to me! LOL!  ^_^

• Like 3

I love to see examples of people's earlier minis and how their painting has progressed. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By TheOldGuard
      "One of my favourite range of figures ever was Citadel's 1980's licensed "Lord Of The Rings" minis. I have finally decided to get all the miniatures I own painted up (over time) & try to acquire the ones which are missing from my collection (& paint them up too!)". Here is my next completed mini - Treebeard: Mighty Ent.

I tried to keep the colours as close to Treebeard's description in the book. I guess this mini sculpt may seem a little dated by todays wonderfully elaborate standards but I think it has it's own charm especially in his warm characterful face.

Comments & thoughts always welcome!

Thanks for looking & "Hrum Hoom"!

• By 72moonglum
      Good morning all,
      Here's a figure I just finished, from the Hackmaster/Kenzer & Co. line that Ral Partha currently owns, a Bob Olley Greater Satyr. It's a pretty large figure, more in tune with heroic scale, like most of the Hackmaster figures, fun and easy to paint.
      The only thing I noticed when I based him is that my base has a chip in the plastic but too late to do anything about, as I saw it after I super glued it to the figure.

I tried to give him mostly natural tones, but had to do a bit of gold in there as well for the decoration on the bow and his pan pipes, but they are softened with some browns and dark elf skin washes, so it's probably okay.  
      So anyhows, enjoy!

• By Pingo
      So, uh, these are actual actual Space Marines from Citadel. I got a little sprue of them at Free Comics Day a year or two ago. The date on the sprue said 2005, so perhaps they are obsolete models.

I had plans to do them up oddly, maybe sparkly purple or something, but then someone running a game I'm in said "Hey, do you have any space marines?"

So I said yes and painted them up bang-up average for Space Marines, going by random images I Googled.

Well, almost. The upside-down omega logo kind of insulted my linguistic sensibilities.

So I painted one with an upside-down omega, one with an upside-down lambda (symbol of LGBT rights), and one with an upside-down omicron (joke).

There's a little tiny bit of NMM gold on their can't-lift-their-shoulders-armor-pieces.

• By Pingo
      More Stuff I did on Summer Vacation.

PingosHusband gave me a set of Citadel "Sisters of the Thorn", female wood elves riding what are supposed to be deer, I think (although they have solid hooves and their antlers attach weirdly). Anyhow, they look pretty cool. The set also could make up some hunky shirtless male riders in creepy antlered masks, and I ended up making one of those along with four of the females.

And then there were parts left over.

Sooo ...  I had enough to make one more full male torso and one female torso lacking hair (and three male torsos that need hair and right arms, but that's a project for another day ...).

Well, what can you do with a torso?

Obviously, make centaurs (horse or spider) out of them. I lugged out my bin o' Bones and found 77264: Female Centaur sculpted by Sandra Garrity (There's a male centaur too, but interestingly the female "horse" part is larger and more robust than the male.) and 77182: Arachnid Archer sculpted by Gene van Horne.

I ruthlessly sliced off the human torso from the centaur and used a pin because I'm not sure how well epoxy adheres to Bones.

I carved the waist of the spider body a little to fit the elf torso, but I didn't take pictures of that. This is the figure fitted in but not yet glued. There wasn't any hair for this torso, so her face is only a hollow mask glued to the neck at a tiny contact point at the back of the chin, fragile and just a little creepy.

I mixed up some epoxy and drizzled little comma-shapes onto parchment paper, let them dry, and peeled them off. Then I mixed more epoxy and blobbed it into the back of the elf's skull and added dried epoxy commas until it looked more or less like hair.

Here are the two of them done:

• By Metalchaos
      Wizards of the Coast, Chainmail Miniatures Drazen’s Horde faction 88361, Ogre Trooper.
      This 42mm tall pewter model was sculpted by Mike McVey and I painted it with acrylics and inks.

• Who's Online   12 Members, 2 Anonymous, 66 Guests (See full list)