haldir

Pathfinder Adventure Path: Iron Gods Part 1 Fires of Creation

The old dwarf replies

"Ratfolk have been a problem but they are more like their vermin namesake. Picking over the trash & finding whatever they might need. Only way I could see them being a threat is if they all got together as a huge band & attacked us."

"Wyvern? I've never seen a wyvern in all my life living here. Must be something else. Probably overheard a drunkard's tale or maybe there is one in the area."

"Actually you mention Crowfeather Palace. That is where the entrance to the network of caves is located at. Khonnir was taking a sample of the water to see if  the water toxicity hadn't changed due to the outage & he noticed a few sets of footprints near the shore. He then found more, a rather large group of them, they went into the pond, but he couldn't find any that came out.  The entrance is underwater. You'll have to swim to the entrance. I see that none of you are of the water breathing folk. No worries, Joram Kyte (Ralif, you've heard of the man, you may roll local or religion for more detailed info) will cast water breathing upon the party to help with your journey."

"Hopefully your team can succeed where the others have failed."

Sartus knocks on the door timidly. Pokes his head in "ummm excuse me,I just got in 2 days ago from Tamran in Nirmathas. I was kinda hoping to finda ummm, somoene to apprentice under that could teach me how to smelt and wirk skymetal." Sartus looks embarrassed. "I was told that the torch was ... Malfunctioning, and to come here to get it working again."

He looks around, "who do I talk to about getting it fixed?"

Sartus is a human, about 5'6" brown hair, neat, in a "bowl cut". He is timid and mousey in his mannerisms. He has a large nose that looks like it was broken multiple times. He is wearing black pants with a blue shirt.

The elf said nothing, but did arch his eyebrow slightly with a look of minor amusement at the interruption. Wondering if whoever sent this person either knew something that was not readily apparent, or was unaware that this meeting was taking place.

Ralif glared at the stranger's sudden interruption with suspicion. Now was not the time for outsiders to know of the recent "malfunction" and Baine's disappearance. He especially didn't want the Technic League to get word of it though it was only a matter of time. But he wasn't foolish enough to refuse additional help. "Aye, t'is the place to offer help."

Returning his attention to Dolga Freddert, "I know Joram, I wasn't aware of that particular talent, but if we have to go..." he sighs, "...underwater, it'll be useful."

"But what do you mean by... 'The others have failed'? How many people went down there?"

Darvil's head snaps up from whatever daydream he was enjoying when the newcomer opens the door and interrupts the meeting.  With a roll of his eyes and a sigh of exasperation he comments, "I know you're new to town, but usually when you interrupt an important and dreadfully interesting meeting with an offer to help, you at least introduce yourself."  

With a grin he points to himself, "Darvil" and begins to point to everyone in the room, "Ralif.  Abriel.  Anton.  Anton is an android, but he's not one of those 'kill all human' types."  

"Um, you're not one of those 'kill all human' types right?"

"Oh yeah, that's Dolga.  She's not coming with us.  I think.  And she's going to help us breathe underwater.  It sounds like some people tried to do it and failed, so I hope you can really hold your breath.  And now you're caught up.  I bet there is a way to breath underwater without spells, or being a fish..."  A small notebook appears with a puff of smoke and a flash of light (Prestidigitation is fun!) and Darvil begins sketching completely oblivious to everything else around him.

• Like 1

"Even if he was a 'kill all humans' type, you would be safe" he said to the gnome before muttering under is breath, in elven "even if he was a kill all sentients, I imagine you would be safe" 

• Like 2

Anton sputters in shock, "I, err, I don't...I haven't..." He freezes perfectly still for a moment, then continues more calmly, "I have not and do not intend to kill anyone." His expression is perhaps less sure than he would like, as he thinks to himself at least not in the two weeks I have memories of.

"Oh, offer help? There isn't a switch or draft opening that you guys can just.... Open?"

He looks to the gnome, "im sorry, Sartus, my name is Sartus Parda. I'm from...BY TORAG'S HAMMER! what is that?" 

Starring open mouthed at Ant1

Edited by davor

Darvil, nose still in his sketch book, chirps, "He's a fully sentient machine man forged through science and magic.  He's cool."  

With a sigh, Darvil looks up and closes his book.

"Oh yeah, almost forgot.  If you're going to join us, close the door, you're letting in a draft.  You should also probably close you mouth, it's rude, and you're probably hurting Anton's feelings."

• Like 1

Even after a mere two weeks of sentience, EnT1 is less than surprised by Sartus's outburst. He gives a small tired sigh, but is interrupted by Darvil before he can say anything. He colors slightly at Darvil's compliment; in his case, this means the barely-visible tattoos on his face glow blue momentarily.

"That is...likely a better explanation than I could have given. Thank you, Darvil."

"Yes, yes of course!" I'll walk in, slam the door accidentally while looking at Ant1 while very poorly trying to not look like I'm looking at him.

Sartus goes around shaking everyone's hand introducing himself again. Then settles himself a little behind Ant1 watching him when he can.

"essentially a construct then? Like some sort of golem, only with a mind? Is it fair to presume that with the mind comes something akin to a soul as well?" He cast his gaze back and forth between Darvil and Anton as he spoke. "Interesting." With that he turned his attention back towards the elderly dwarf "I do not suppose there are any maps avaliable of this place we are going to look. It would be nice to have an idea of the place when scouting it out"

As Ralif shakes Sartus's hand, "A smith of Torag, aye? You are good reliable people. Even Brigh recognizes their talents as being arguably the best".

Ralif suddenly tightens his grip on Sartus, "But I will not have you, nor YOU!" as he turns his eyes on Darvil, "show disrespect to beings like Anton here."

He releases Sartus's grip. "Asking if he kills?! Bah! The Technic League would have you believe that. They see all constructs as mindless tools to be used for conquest and destruction."

"But from what I heard in the past days, Anton here was seeking guidance from Baine. He is like a youngster still seeking his purpose in life. And that means he has something that no other 'tool' has... Freedom."

He holds up his hammer. "A hammer cannot be anything else than a hammer. Each tool is created for a unique purpose. And if someone does not have a purpose, then he is *not* a tool and has the freedom to choose his own path for his *own* purpose. I've heard tales of androids doing great works for themselves. Some  are explorers, some are researchers in both arcane and divine mysteries, some are artisans. And I've even heard of rumours of one who became a farmer, so grateful he was to being alive that he wanted to be part of it and nurture it for everyone else."

He looks at Anton, "Today it looks like you are choosing the path to help others, or at least help Baine. That is your choice to make, and it is a choice I appreciate. But... be warned that though you say you do not 'want' to kill humans, we may be going somewhere where that 'choice' may be put tot he test."

• Like 1

I will put this one up

Cranky Dog 100 xp for great role playing.