Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

1934 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

I'm also a fan of translation notes cards. As for will it get a blueray release, probably only if they have film masters for the show, otherwise the master copy's resolution is low enough that a bluray would likely not make sense. But who knows it's old enough there may be a film master somewhere.

But they HAVE the masters, and they HAVE released a Blu-ray version, but it's in Japanese only. No dub or sub. 

(They didn't upgrade the video quality much, they mostly tried to see how many episodes they could fit on one disc)

I could use one of the MFPs with a scanner feeder on the office to scan the liners, but... Yeah, too much work...

Or someone could google for 'Urusei Yatsura liner notes' and find them on Animeigo....

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

I had those AND MY ROOMMATE THREW MY CARDS OUT AFTER WATCHING THE VIDEOS ONCE!!!!!!

As if they were advertising papers or something, I guess.

I never forgave them.

I don't think I would either.

Ooh, anime!

I much prefer subtitles to dubs. I have strangely reached a point in my life that I leave TV closed-captions on when I watch english speaking shows.

One thing I sometimes hate about dubbed versions is what they do with Japanese honorifics (-san, -sama, -chan, etc.) Sometimes they completely ignore them completely and the tone sounds off. Sometimes they translate them into constant "Mr.X", "Mrs.Y", "Miss Z", and it sounds unnaturally polite or formal.

2 people like this

When I rip my Anime over to HDD I keep the Japanese audio and the English subs, Nothing else. 

2 people like this

Yay anime!

Recently saw 'Your Name.' in the theater - had a great time.  I keep hoping my wife will get well enough to come see it while it's still in theaters.

1 person likes this

Rented Assassin's Creed for my son tonight, but I'm not watching. I can hear it downstairs thou, :lol: 

1 person likes this

Still haven't watched the AC movie. Too depressing just knowing how they muffed it.

Meanwhile, rewatched Tropic Thunder and The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou. Because Netflix. Both actually get better with age. And Mortal Kombat, which is still maybe the best video-game movie, and Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, which is still maybe the worst movie of any sort.

In the middle of Jurassic Park right now, which never grows old. Jeff Goldblum, man. And those brachiosauruses still look good to me, even.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

29 minutes ago, Marvin said:

And Mortal Kombat, which is still maybe the best video-game movie...

I find this extremely depressing, because I agree.

Looking at the list of video game inspired movies (which confirms that MK *is* the best rated movie), you have to wonder how Hollywood consistently manages to destroy multi-million dollar franchises that *do* have established well loved stories. I mean, besides Uwe Boll.

Edited by Cranky Dog
1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

I find this extremely depressing, because I agree.

Looking at the list of video game inspired movies (which confirms that MK *is* the best rated movie), you have to wonder how Hollywood consistently manages to destroy multi-million dollar franchises that *do* have established well loved stories. I mean, besides Uwe Boll.

Ah! That list actually makes me feel slightly better. Though mostly worse. Man, have there been some clunkers.

But I do also like, kind of a bit actually, the first Hitman movie, though I never played the games; and I somehow didn't hate the Prince of Persia movie, though, again, didn't play the games. And the first Resident Evil.

Uwe Boll can, I don't know, take a hike or whatever. In the Name of the King might've been as bad as MK:A. Seem to recall Bloodrayne being about that bad, too.

I can't believe y'all think Mortal Kombat was better than Silent HillSilent Hill was actually good!

I saw Free Fire on Friday. If you want a 90 minute shootout/Mexican Standoff, this is your film. But don't count the bullets...

Finally watched the Last Witch Hunter last night (yeah free HBO & Skin err Cinema previews). Decent film thou I can see why it didn't take off in the theater. Also ended up watching again, We are Soldiers. Back when Mel wasn't crazy. Still a good flick thou.

1 person likes this

On 4/21/2017 at 6:38 PM, Marvin said:

In the middle of Jurassic Park right now, which never grows old. Jeff Goldblum, man. And those brachiosauruses still look good to me, even.

Jurassic Park is in the class of movies that I'll stop at when flipping through channels, because there's always a 'good bit' coming up.

Not a movie as such, but recently watched through all 12 episodes of Kemono Friends, a cute (if very low-budget) animated show about a girl waking up in a strange park where instead of animals there's various animal-girls wandering about.  The animal girls (called Friends) aren't sure what the girl is, so they name her after the bag she's wearing on her back and the Serval Cat friend (named Serval) who finds her helps her explore the island to find out what she is and where she belongs.  It's possibly the lightest and fluffiest post-apocolypse show you'll ever see - there's evidence that the humans haven't been around for a long time, although why isn't clear until nearly the end.  Subtitled on Crunchyroll, but nice to watch when you're not interested in anything terribly deep but still fun.  First episode is the weakest, so if you want to give it a try commit to the first three half hour episodes at least.

1 person likes this

Elder spawn says she is saving up her allowance so she can take me to see guardians of the galaxy 2. 

cause we both liked the first one so much, and then there was that squirrel girl tie-in...

SG steals numbers from a cell phone in avengers HQ and starts texting random heroes for advice.  Some are more helpful than others  *snicker* Rocket has a voice activated system, so GROOT puts in his suggestions as well. 

After reading (her) Squirrel girl book, (w/o pictures)  I realized I don't actually enjoy reading comic books .. but I do like movies (some) and books about superheros. 

I think its the mixed format of words and pictures + the length, I want to spend more time enjoying the story than it took to get the story. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
3 people like this

Love the Marvel movies! It's a couple hours of time that my son & I can enjoy time together. We've been going to them in the theater since Iron Man 2. We'll go to Burger King before the film & then head for the theater. I wanna say Avengers was the only time, daughter went with us. While of course I don't mind if I take both kids to a movie, just a special time we've carved out.

Oddly I burned out on Marvel & comics in general in the early 90s as I was big into collecting them. Way to many stories that I read, just got tired of the special covers, special guest starts (ex. I mean really Wolverine again? Why I bought his own to read HIS stories. I want Cap's stories!!!). Only book that survived the purge was Bone. I still don't read em anymore. I just focus on the movie story lines these days.

2 people like this