Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

2198 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Indeed, Friday matinees are pretty roomy.

I saw Star Wars VII and Rogue One on their opening Fridays, in IMAX, matinee. I could get tickets one day before and still take any seat I wanted once there even though it's supposed to be "reserved seating".

Maybe I should try it with GotG.

Edited by Cranky Dog
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

The problem is that it needed to be BETTER than the original, if it was going to catch on.

Instead, it was just not as good, which was nowhere near good ENOUGH.

Grump on the other hand can name its faults at length, even though he wanted to like it. <_<

He thinks that if it had been a spinoff then it WOULD have been good enough. But as a remake, it just needed to be Better.

For me it just never got me to believe in it enough to care. The Grump is less of a fan of the original than I am, I must have watched it a hundred times on VHS. For me the original is family.

Hey, to be fair, a lot of my griping came down to 'That's Boston. If they are going to film it in Boston, why not just say that it is Boston? Heck, do a whole spinoff series set in Boston!' And if they were going to say it was New York, they really needed to do a better job of avoiding Boston landmarks. (There are very few statues of James Michael Curley in New York....)

Deep in my soul, I am still Boston born and bred, and would really enjoy to see a Ghostbusters series set in the Hub of the Universe!

Here's to dear old Boston, home of the bean and the cod.

Where the Lowells speak only to Cabots, and the Cabots speak only to God.

The Auld Grump - which reminds me, I kind of want to get back to our Ghostbusters New England campaign....

*EDIT* I just fixed a problem where apparently autocorrupt came up with 'Ghostbustiers'... Eep! :huh:

Edited by TheAuldGrump
5 people like this

My transatlantic plane ride movies were:

Arrival

Shin Godzilla (ugh!)

Star Trek Beyond 

Office Christmas Party

Pete's Dragon

Could have gone to see Guardians because it was out a week early in England but decided to do other things instead

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Knowing why you loved this more than Civil War isn't complicated or at least the reason I liked it more isn't.

Guardians of the Galaxy was just like a really good game of Star Frontiers, with a really good GM and a bunch of players that like hanging out together!

It was like those games where you can't help but talk about it afterwards, getting better with each retelling!

Wow, now that I think of it as a game... I can't help but think of it as a game....

And, yeah, it's the first session or two, when they are putting the party together. :blink:

The Auld Grump - just, wow....

3 people like this

On 5/1/2017 at 4:39 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

Wow, now that I think of it as a game... I can't help but think of it as a game....

And, yeah, it's the first session or two, when they are putting the party together. :blink:

The Auld Grump - just, wow....

There's a joke story going around tumblr for a while suggesting that "Guardians of the Galaxy" was a Scifi/supers game being played by the Avengers.

Ah, here's a good short description: http://www.tor.com/2015/01/07/guardians-of-the-galaxy-avengers-dungeons-and-dragons/

5 people like this

I watched Underworld: Blood Wars last night.

It was OK, but it seemed like it was setting up another movie that we probably won't get.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

On 5/3/2017 at 11:55 AM, John Fiala said:

There's a joke story going around tumblr for a while suggesting that "Guardians of the Galaxy" was a Scifi/supers game being played by the Avengers.

Ah, here's a good short description: http://www.tor.com/2015/01/07/guardians-of-the-galaxy-avengers-dungeons-and-dragons/

When I watched it, all that I could think was 'Wow! This is what a Lensman movie would be like!'

Now, yeah... players around a table.... (For the record - The Thing from the Fantastic 4 is a DM in some of the comics from the nineties? I think?)

*EDIT* And this in no way makes it a worse movie! Now it just looks like it was a really good game! Dang you Megan!

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
2 people like this

I am Groot!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Guardians of the Galaxy volume 2 was better than volume 1!  And I loved volume 1!  Also, there are a LOT of scenes during the credit. 

Edited by Erifnogard
2 people like this

9 hours ago, Erifnogard said:

Guardians of the Galaxy volume 2 was better than volume 1!  And I loved volume 1!  Also, there are a LOT of scenes during the credit. 

I agree, although I personally did not like Volume 1.

1 minute ago, etherial said:
9 hours ago, Erifnogard said:

I agree, although I personally did not like Volume 1.

I loved Vol. 1, and thought Vol. 2 was a worthy squeal, and one I will see at least once more in the theater.

2 people like this

On 2017-05-05 at 10:43 AM, David Brawley said:

I loved Vol. 1, and thought Vol. 2 was a worthy squeal, and one I will see at least once more in the theater.

If this is an auto-corrupt typo, then it is quite appropriate.

3 people like this

i loved Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 1 - vol. 2 was good, but not as excellent as the first. (Merely getting a 4 out of 5, while GotG v1 got a 4.5 - but I am a bit like the Russian Judge... it is hard to get a 4. A 4 puts it level with The Incredibles. 4.5 puts the first GotG equal with Civil War.)

Plus, I really, really wanted to kill the teenagers that were being complete donkeycaves in the first row - they eventually got tossed out.

The Auld Grump - ten legs, no brains, making enough noise for sixteen mouths.

3 people like this

Z5zC6tJ.jpg

Meh. Not terrible. Good in the way the other smaller Marvel movies are but feels rather uninspired. Someone's clearly been studying Nolan, but Inception and Batman Begins already did all this better. Good cast in largely boring roles.

Watched the Mighty Morphing Power Rangers from 1995 last night. I thought it was pretty bad, the first 30 minutes was campy fun, but after that, bleh.  At least the movie was good for several laughs, especially when watching Everything Wrong With said movie on YouTube afterwards.

1 person likes this