Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

2027 posts in this topic

Guardians 2 on the menu for tonight.  Saw the first one in the theater when it came out, so I'm really looking forward to this one. A bit annoyed with some "news" websites that have been spoilering it already. 

2 people like this

Few more films watched:-

Independence Day: Resurgence - Not only was it pretty terrible, it was also pretty boring too. Only got to the end of it because I had literally nothing else to do at the time.

Phantasm: Ravager - Not the film I was hoping it was going to be. Instead of helping the franchise make a bit more sense, it actually made it more confusing. And with the actor who played The Tall Man dead, there's no possibility of them making another one. Guess I'll just have to accept I'll never know what the heck the whole thing has been about.

One Piece: Gold - Good but not as good as the last couple have been. Not a huge fan of elaborate plans that only really work because it's in the script. Also a bit annoyed they neglected the villain (what snippets were shown made Tesoro look like a pretty interesting guy) in favour of cameoing a few fan favourite characters (I know that's kind of the whole point of these sort of movies, it's still annoying though).

1 person likes this

A recent Canadian release I saw today:

Bon Cop, Bad Cop 2. Sequel to the original from 2006 (a buddy cop movie that parodied the French-English language and cultural differences, notable for bilingual movie). The sequel lost a bit of its originality for the bilingual angle, but you do see how both characters evolved over the last decade. The main plans of the baddies went from standard criminal activities to pretty implausible terrorist ones.

The movie was only showing for one week in my town and today was the last day. We were only three people in the theater, so it was lacking the audience reaction you'd expect of a comedy.

Went to Guardians 2 last night.  I enjoyed it but not as much as the original. That seems to be a common reaction. I felt it was lacking the energy of the first movie and the script wasn't as tight. The first half of the movie just kind of flailed around.  It also suffered from too many characters on the same path, there wasn't enough diversity in the individual story lines.  I was disappointed with Kurt Russel's performance. I don't know if it was because they gave him bad material to work with or if he just wasn't into it, but I felt it was flat, and far from his best work.  Karen Gillan was good, but didn't have a lot to work with most of the time.   I felt the best parts of the movie were with Yondu, and the guy who played Kraglin had some of the best acting scenes. 

Awesome mix 2 was a little less awesome for me. A few very good tunes, a few I didn't connect with, overall I didn't feel the music was as well placed in this movie. 

The scenes allegedly taking place in Missouri weren't filmed here. Nobody around here talks like that. That's a Georgia accent. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Watched in-game cut scene of Injustice 2. That's some crazy facial expressions for a video game cgi. 2.5 hours. That was fun. Story was great from beginning to end.

Edited by pcktlnt
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, pcktlnt said:

Watched in-game cut scene of Injustice 2. That's some crazy facial expressions for a video game cgi. 2.5 hours. That was fun. Story was great from beginning to end.

Hubby has gone through both story sides (the story ends differently if you pick superman or batman at the end). The story was really good and both endings were awesome, though in different ways.

Hubby mostly enjoyed playing, but it seems like they went a little overboard on the complicated moves. There's a few that sound really neat, but are so complicated that very few people are going to use them. Then there's the issue of the character you're playing not doing what you wanted when you pressed the right buttons. But the last injustice game and a few of the mortal kombat games have had the same issue. Hubby never has that problem with street fighter or marvel vs capcom.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, Inarah said:

Went to Guardians 2 last night.  I enjoyed it but not as much as the original. That seems to be a common reaction. I felt it was lacking the energy of the first movie and the script wasn't as tight. The first half of the movie just kind of flailed around.  It also suffered from too many characters on the same path, there wasn't enough diversity in the individual story lines.  I was disappointed with Kurt Russel's performance. I don't know if it was because they gave him bad material to work with or if he just wasn't into it, but I felt it was flat, and far from his best work.  Karen Gillan was good, but didn't have a lot to work with most of the time.   I felt the best parts of the movie were with Yondu, and the guy who played Kraglin had some of the best acting scenes.

My wife and I just saw Guardians 2 last night.  I really enjoyed the film! It was very comical and action oriented. It was a silly film and I think that was the main difference from the first one. The first one was definitely more serious. I do think the overall plot was not the strong, but it was a fun story. I too was let down by Kurt Russel's performance.  As you said, it was very flat.  Overall though I had fun watching it, which to me is the most important part of going to the cinema. The biggest disappointment was the lack of interesting film previews before the movie. The only one I wanted to see was the next Star Wars, and I have already saw that trailer before. There are no original movies coming out.  Everything is a sequel or a re-made version of a tv show or an older movie.

3 people like this

I saw moana last night, and now I have all the feels.

7 people like this

Just got home from seeing Alien: Covenant.  It wasn't bad.  Bit predictable...answered some questions with Prometheus...Also created more questions...
Best in the series?....no...3rd place at best...

2 people like this

Watched The Last Witch Hunter this evening.  It wasn't half bad for a cheesy fantasy action flick. If you're into occult conspiracy type stuff you might enjoy this.  Vin Diesel plays a medieval warrior cursed with immortality who becomes a witch hunter in modern day New York. The plot's not complicated and neither is the dialog. Bring popcorn. 

5 people like this

3 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Watched The Last Witch Hunter this evening.  It wasn't half bad for a cheesy fantasy action flick. If you're into occult conspiracy type stuff you might enjoy this.  Vin Diesel plays a medieval warrior cursed with immortality who becomes a witch hunter in modern day New York. The plot's not complicated and neither is the dialog. Bring popcorn. 

Apparently it's based on his D&D character, or something like that.

2 people like this

30 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Apparently it's based on his D&D character, or something like that.

And I could easily see myself basing an RPG scenario off this movie. 

1 person likes this

The Last Witchhunter was a great cheesy fantasy movie, we enjoyed it a lot.

Tonight we watched Outlander with Jim Caviezel again, it is an awesome yet underrated sci-fi/viking/monster movie.  It has THE coolest monster I have seen on any movie, great viking sword fights and it's set (but sadly not filmed) in Norway.

Also watched Epic, a very beautiful animated film about an epic battle between good and evil in miniature scale.   We loved it, great for the whole family.

3 people like this

Not a movie, but I went to see Twelfth Night on the big screen. This adaptation had 21st costume/set.

Curiously, this was probably the best comedy I've seen this year. There were tons of laugh out loud moments. I saw the play once over twenty years ago, and back then the humor escaped me (probably a lousy production)

1 person likes this

I watched Monster Trucks last night and highly recommend it. It was funny and entertaining.

I'm going to try to watch Barbarella again today, every time I start it the crazy gets too out of hand here and I have to stop.

1 person likes this