Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

Instead of gaming we had Movie Night. One of our members has a 13 yr old son, and he needed education in the classics, so we had a double feature with Princess Bride and Escape From New York.

I don't know if PB has been re-edited. I swear there were scenes missing.  

Escape looks really bad in high def. :(  

• Like 3

Finished a marathon of the Resident Evil films. I know they're considered pretty terrible films but I've always found them very entertaining, and the final film tied things up better than I thought it would, which was a nice bonus.

• Like 4

Went to see the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie.  I enjoyed myself in general, but the big set piece with Jack at the start was the best part of the movie, I thought.  (Although other details about the film made it interesting for Father's Day, especially given that I have a daughter.)

• Like 3

On 5/13/2017 at 9:11 AM, David Brawley said:

Yesterday watched Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 for the second time. My bride liked it, but not as much as the first.

Also watched the documentary What We Do In The Shadows (which I always mess up the name of, turning it into Things we do... or In The Dark). Bloody Brilliant!! I highly recommend it. 

On 6/2/2017 at 8:59 AM, Baldur8762 said:

Watched a movie called "What We Do In the Shadows" the other night.  I thought it was going to be incredibly stupid but it turned out to be one of the funniest films I have seen in a very long time.  Brilliantly done, very clever comedy! 

What-We-Do-in-the-Shadows.jpg

I have been keeping mum about this for a month because PingosHusband is on the boards, but Thanks! to David Brawley for bringing this to my attention.

Thanks also to Baldur8762 for a signal boost.

After DB recommended the movie I looked it up and checked out reviews and they seemed pretty good.  This sounded like a good gift for my husband because he is a fan of "The Young Ones," "This is Spinal Tap," and (in an ironic way) White Wolf vampire etc. games, and has been rather burdened by world events lately and could use some comedy.

So I got a copy and wrapped it and gave it to him at the first plausible opportunity (Father's Day, yesterday).  He was surprised and pleased.  We haven't watched it yet (he needs to be in the right state of mind), but looking forward to it.

• Like 4

Last night we watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows.  I thought it was extremely stupid, but husband and son both enjoyed it a lot.  I guess I just wasn't able to turn my brain off.  :blink:

Edited by Citrine
Spelling
  • Like 4

watched Wonder Woman,  It was great, but not perfect.  

After it got such good press my wife went to see it, although she skips more superhero movies than she watches.

She thought is was good, but her mind turned quickly back to more mundane life.

The amazons on the beach fight was a joy.  the rest was fun to watch as well, a cut above most superhero movies (and all of the DC ones)  not quite as good as the best of the Marvel movies.  Many, but not all the emotional moments were well done. 

i had some problems with Aries/ history - if he was driving the hatred and mindless violence behind WWI why did the peace get messed up so badly that the war started over again less than 20 years later? If he wasn't driving the war, why did everyone become so peaceful after he was killed?  

- I did like how young the german troops looked at the end.  After 6 years of devastating war, it was the under 20s or even under 15s doing a lot the fighting and dying. 

And the actor that played Ares should have looked greek. I can forgive the amazons, as they were a diff people.   It  would have been fine for the gods if they implied shapeshifting, but no -  in the flash back he had the same face. I never really liked the way the either comics handled actual myths. It wasn't until the modern movie era that I could see the comics version thor or loki (and his horrible hat) without recoiling. 

Then I went and watched WW fight scene in Bat v Sup.  that was a horrible mess of a movie, but the line "I have fought things from other worlds before"  has more resonance, implying WW had not been idle for the 90 years between films.  

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 4

One of the theaters in town is doing a "Ghibli Fest". One movie a month til November, shown on the last Sunday and Monday of the month. So on the 25th I'm gonna try to see My Neighbor Totoro. I've never seen that one before, though I have seen all the other films they're showing (not that that is going to stop me from seeing those in the theater!)

• Like 5

Watched the Matrix trilogy. It's been forever since I watched any of them, and aside from volume issues, I enjoyed all of them. 

Animatrix next up.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

One of the theaters in town is doing a "Ghibli Fest". One movie a month til November, shown on the last Sunday and Monday of the month. So on the 25th I'm gonna try to see My Neighbor Totoro. I've never seen that one before, though I have seen all the other films they're showing (not that that is going to stop me from seeing those in the theater!)

Theater chain here is showing Totoro as well, and my daughter is sad she can't make the screening. It's one of her favorite movies. Very cute movie, and hope you enjoy it!

• Like 3

Finally saw WW!

Very good; didn't feel dumbed down; loved the way they represented Diana as knowledgeable about many things (seeing her current career) yet innocent about the "world of men" (at first).

IMO, the whole "Ares is the cause of war" was the weak part of the story. The movie would've been just as good without it. And for elf's sake DC, stop it with the depressing monochrome environments. Themyscira was in full lively sunny colours, then everything went from shades of dark blue, to dark grey, dark brown, dark green, back to blue, etc.

Anyone else notice that Diana wasn't called Wonder Woman even once in the movie? Not even called "wonderful". Gotta wonder when she earns her moniker.

11 hours ago, redambrosia said:

One of the theaters in town is doing a "Ghibli Fest".

My local theater is also doing that. :bday: I've seen most of them (own a few too), except for Castle in the Sky.

• Like 7

Saw Mockingjay Part 2 over the weekend- not bad. Katniss has some fancy bowmanship.

Now I'm watching a youtube video of Myron Fagan's The Illuminati and the Council on Foreign Relations:ph34r:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sergeant_Crunch said:

I watched Shaolin Soccer earlier tonight. It had me in stitches almost the whole time.

If you haven't watched his other hit, Kung Fu Hustle, do so.  You won't be disappointed.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

If you haven't watched his other hit, Kung Fu Hustle, do so.  You won't be disappointed.

It's been a while, but I have seen Kung Fu Hustle.

Edited by Sergeant_Crunch
  • Like 1

watched startrek beyond on hulu.

I was pleasantly surprised by it. I had skipped this one in the theater because into darkness had been such a mess. But this one felt like a real return to form. Even though it was very actiony the characters felt right, and it got back to having a hopeful view of the future.

If they can manage to keep this going I'd be really happy to see another in the series.

• Like 4