Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

2141 posts in this topic

Dunkirk. It was good. Not something I'd go watch twice, nor buy on DVD, although I may get overruled on that. Being an aircraft fan, those were the scenes I enjoyed the most, and especially when I had my feet on the floor (we've got reserved recliners). The thumping that came through the floors was heart racing. Of course, in real life, that heavy thumping didn't actually exist, but eh, it was fun.

2 people like this

Finally watched John Wick 2 last night, it was a pleasant distraction.

Overall the action was well paced, except the bit with Cassian dragged a bit. Just when we had started having enough of it, it ended. And we like that they left it open for another movie. Apparently the guy who wrote the first two is writing a third.

I really love the way they do the subtitles in the John Wick movies. Makes them feel more like comic books.

2 people like this

Saw Dunkirk this week. It was ok. I'm not sure what kind of movie it was trying to be. It wasn't really about the war. The drama focused on three groups of people in the days and hours leading up to the final evacuation of troops. I have heard people say they were confused by the way the story flipped back and forth, I did not have that problem. 

This was an opportunity to tell a powerful, emotional story and it fell short.  The preview makes it sound like a tense and dramatic film, and it's not. The pacing is often slow, and there are long stretches without dialog. There are some good actors, but most of the scenes just felt flat.  I think they were trying to portray a sense of anticipation, soldiers waiting for ships, waiting for aerial attacks, the slow chug across the channel, but mostly it was boring. 

2 people like this

Tonight it was Atomic Blonde.  Not what I was expecting.  I saw that it was based on a graphic novel and was expecting something more comic book action hero.  It's an 80's cold war spy thriller, almost film noir in style.  The acting was good, the plot seemed a little confused in places, but then I realized it wasn't, it's just twisty.  It's very dark in style, everything is black or blue or grey, except when there is blood, and there's plenty of that. It's grim and there's sex and plenty of violence.  I don't normally like those kind of movies, but the plot kept me in suspense trying to figure out who was backstabbing who, right until the very end. 

7 people like this

I'm watching Samurai Cop 2.

I'm already beginning to regret this.

4 people like this

Saw Spider-Man: Homecoming last week.

Quite satisfying. Going in, I didn't know of any other villain cameos. There were some very nice surprise plot twists. And I LOL'ed at the final end credits scene trolling us.

I'm glad we didn't get an other rehashed origin story. Just a quick mention of "Bit by a spider, now got powers".

Not so glad about the Stark made Spider-suit. Waaaay too advanced.

2 people like this

On 8/13/2017 at 8:17 PM, NebulousMissy said:

I'm watching Samurai Cop 2.

I'm already beginning to regret this.

This is on my list to watch with some other aficionados of bad cinema.

I watched Star Trek: Beyond the other night.  A decent movie compared to the other two in my mind.  I'm just wondering how many times Star Fleet is going to give Kirk a new ship in this timeline, he seems to keep losing them.

Not sure what is next on my list to watch.  There are a bunch of series online that I watch that are about to get new episodes and a couple new series as well.

1 person likes this

22 hours ago, Sergeant_Crunch said:

I'm just wondering how many times Star Fleet is going to give Kirk a new ship in this timeline, he seems to keep losing them.

But he seems so trustworthy!

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

But he seems so trustworthy!

cute =/= trustworthy LOL

I watched a real stinker last night on Amazon Prime Video.  Moontrap Target Earth.  Oh. My. Lord.  If you have a group of people you get together with to riff movies, put this one on.  I need to see if MST3K has a suggestion box or something to recommend it to them.

1 person likes this

So last time I was at knarthex's playing Frostgrave, he sent me home with The Gamers, and The Gamers: Dorkness Rising.

Watched The Gamers last night.  I think I would have liked it better if I had seen it while I was younger.  Most of the humor fell flat for me.  I did somewhat like the twist ending.

Started watching the second one, and am liking it quite a bit more.  The production values are much better.  I still need to finish it though.  It was late and I wasn't sure if I had work or not.  Will finish tonight.

1 person likes this

Bought tickets for Castle in the Sky, Nausica of the Valley of the Wind, The Princess Bride, and Spirited Away. Waiting to see if they're going to offer Howl's Moving Castle on Sunday, but I want that to be my birthday movie. 

Like, I'll be devastated if I don't get to see Howl's Moving Castle in theaters ::(: