Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

2198 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Loim said:

I'm looking forward to Castle in the Sky on Monday. I usually try to catch the Subbed version rather than Dubbed. It's not snobbery, I just enjoy the experience more, and Ghibli films are some of the best Dubbed films I've seen.

I'm the same when it comes to watching anime. I prefer subs to dubs, but usually at the movie level dubs are better made than at TV level.

Our Ghibli showings are Sundays for dubbed, Wednesdays for subs. Too bad I'll be out of town next Wednesday. Castle in the Sky is one of the few Ghibli/Miyazaki films I haven't seen.

2 people like this

Vudu rented the new Beauty and the Beast with my best friend. 

We found it thoroughly underwhelming and overhyped. Emma Watson is lovely but she just wasn't given anything fun to work with. The CGI was lackluster and over used. Things that worked when animated were too trite and under developed in live action, and this did nothing to beef up the plot. Gaston's actor honestly did the best part with his role, playing the narcissist perfectly, and his singing was spot on. The "controversy" was also overhyped, as Disney wanted brownie points over effectively two seconds of dancing. Just dancing. 

We're glad we saw it, but also glad we didn't waste money to see it in theaters.

I introduced Buffy to my friend afterward and made a linguine and tomato veggie meat sauce for dinner. That was good.

4 people like this

Castle in the sky today! :singsong voice: I'm so excited ^_^

2 people like this

Castle in the Sky was nice!  a bit too much "Joker" in "Mooska's" voice there, but oh, well.  Otherwise I liked the voices.

Leap was fine.  It didn't really surprise me in any way, but for a 5 and 6 year old girl (we brought one of Rose's friends along) it was the perfect film EVER!11!!

If you're going to remake the Karate Kid with ballet, you can do worse than to set it in Paris.  (well, okay, not exactly a remake of the Karate Kid.  But there's DNA there.)

3 people like this

Finally saw Kingsman, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Was expecting a bad James Bond knock-off, but it's not that kind of movie. 

4 people like this

4 hours ago, Argentee said:

Finally saw Kingsman, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Was expecting a bad James Bond knock-off, but it's not that kind of movie. 

It is James Bondy in the suits and spies and booze way. Except it is fun and better choreographed and with more likeable characters. I love that movie. 2nd out in a month!

3 people like this

Watched Harley Quinn and Batman last night.

I've been watching these animated DC superhero films for years now, and while they are not always good this was the first time I've actually considered turning one off halfway through.

Terrible, terrible movie.

2 people like this

41 minutes ago, aku-chan said:

Watched Harley Quinn and Batman last night.

I've been watching these animated DC superhero films for years now, and while they are not always good this was the first time I've actually considered turning one off halfway through.

Terrible, terrible movie.

That's disappointing :unsure:

2 people like this

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

That's disappointing :unsure:

Very much so, especially as it appeared to be some sort of sequel to Batman: The Animated Series.

But instead of a nice nostalgia-fest, I got Harley farting in the Batmobile.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, aku-chan said:

Very much so, especially as it appeared to be some sort of sequel to Batman: The Animated Series.

But instead of a nice nostalgia-fest, I got Harley farting in the Batmobile.

Ugh! Batman the animated series was fantastic! That and Gargoyles were my favorite cartoons in the 90s. 

I tried watching the reboot of powerpuff girls the other day and I couldn't stand it. I don't recall the original being that stupid. Or gross. And bubbles' and buttercup's voices were all wrong. 

Stop ruining the things!!!

4 people like this

Went to see Leap!  It was good. Not a terribly original story but beautiful graphics. Think Cinderella meets Karate Kid, a positive and inspirational story.    

6 people like this

Kids wanted to go to the emoji movie last night. It's about an emoji who is supposed to be a "meh" but can't control his emotions. Sadly for me the movie was "Meh". I've seen worse but it was pretty bland. Basic moral was be true to yourself and your friends.

3 people like this

Hubby and I Redboxed King Arthur; legend of the sword the other day. It was decent. Way different from the canon story, but fun. I liked the various characters, thought they fleshed them out well. The only thing that really bugged me was the way it was filmed. The shakey cam, close ups on running faces, super frenetic fight scenes just bugs me.  It was definitely a Guy Ritchie film. 

But yeah, decently entertaining, nothing that'll win awards. 

Oh but those giant elephants! Behemephants!

4 people like this

Just finished Outcast, starring Nicholas Cage and Hayden Christensen.  It's a Chinese action adventure featuring the two western actors, filled with all the fighting and bad dialog you could want in a standard good vs bad story.  Overall, not a terrible movie, except for the parts Nick Cage is in.  I have to wonder, does he ask his agent to look for bad scripts, or is it a curse?  If you're a fan of the genre and you have a few beers and some friends who like to make snarky comments on movies, this could be a winner. 

8 people like this

Rewatched Dark Angel (released as I Come in Peace in 1990) with Dolph Lundgren last night.  Very fun eighties action movie with a ridiculously young looking Dolph.  Action, humor, explosions and good acting all around (surprising I know).  The disk also had a neat interview with the director and the two main leads.

5 people like this