Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

2192 posts in this topic

I think I remember seeing that when it came out. 

3 people like this

Dunkirk was very good, and very loud.

2 people like this

Started watching Mr. Peabody and Sherman the movie last night. The wife and I were enjoying it, but little man (4 YO) made us shut it off as it was too scary....he was scared of the little mean girl in Sherman's class. 

I am debating if I should reinforce this fear to save me future dating headaches :devil:

5 people like this

Just got back from It. I've never read the book, so can't compare that. The film amused my wife, in the funny ha-ha sort of way. She found Pennywise to be a good chuckle, and not scary at all. There was a single jump scare that got her, but the rest she felt were telegraphed well in advance. The jump scares got me every time, and got the willies on every foreshadowing or sudden change in reality.

So, maybe a decent movie. It is a little hard to recommend it or not. One thing I will say I thought was done very well was the trailers. They didn't give much away from the actual movie. For example, Georgie and Pennywise talking at the drain. It was much different than I thought it would be based on the clips I've seen.

Edited by Pegazus
singular 'wife'
5 people like this

A discussion about Guardians of the Galxy vol. 2 - with role players....

Eventually getting around to the scene where

Drax jumps down a monster's throat - to attack it from the inside.

No fewer than three of the folks that had played Werewolf, back in the day claimed that they had done the exact same thing.. :blink:

I will admit, I was not surprised by Jon or Q doing that... but Jen?

I swear... those movies really are just like a role playing game... And I mean that in the nicest way possible - I am already looking forward to vol. 3!

The Auld Grump

4 people like this

Megan and I tried to watch the recent re-remake of The Mummy last week. (Re-re-remake, if you count the Hammer version.)

It was... bad - and not in any good way. It was... boring. An exciting yet idiotic flop would have been better.

Neither as engaging as the Karloff version, nor as entertaining as the Fraser version.

Cruise can act - but didn't. And he was the best performer this thing had to offer.

Just ... not enjoyable on any level. We got to about half an hour, forty five minutes in, then went and did something else.

I have to admit - I have no idea why Universal thought they could launch a franchise with this, didn't somebody think to run it past an audience, at some point? Any audience?

*EDIT* It reminded me a lot more of Lifeforce than The Mummy - but without even that amount of entertainment value.

*EDIT 2* Oh, and the Mummy is in Iraq! Freakin' stupid, stupid movie....

The Auld Grump - a week later, and I can't remember a single good line....

Edited by TheAuldGrump
3 people like this

So that's why it flopped hardcore. I could tell, from the previews, that tom cruise was supposed to end up as "the mummy" that would be in the series.

2 people like this

On the plus side - GotG vol. 2 is hitting DVDs this week, we are soooo getting that for our collection.

The Auld Grump - I was hoping that my dislike for The Mummy would fade, so I took a while before writing about it... but, nope - it is just bad. And I am somebody that enjoyed the movie Van Helsing....

5 people like this

Recently watched Raid and Raid 2 in a row with a friend. Man, those movies are awesomely mean. Well shot and choreographed, but absolutely hard and brutal. I think any action movie I know would be getting a FSK 12 rating against those ::D:

Considering their budget was rather small, they did a great job.

I for my part felt quite entertained!

2 people like this

Just finished watching Moana. I enjoyed it too much. Couldn't get through Zootopia, too many moments made me cringe.

5 people like this

I disliked Zootopia. If I never see it again I'll be content. I liked Moana quite a lot. I've seen it a few times now.

What Happened to Monday on Netflix is worth the watch, in my opinion.

I watched IT this weekend. I liked it a lot. Except for the three tweeny girls who sat in front of me and screamed, and talked, and snapchatted through the whole movie. Bill Skarsgard was never going to be Tim Curry, and I'm glad he didn't try. His take on Pennywise was fun. I will probably see it again and buy it when it hits Blu Ray. Not strictly faithful to the book, but very faithful to the story if that makes any sense. Having read the book multiple times I was not surprised by any of the "surprises." 

4 people like this

The Mummy movies with Brendan Fraser were pretty much perfect--first couple, anyway. Never watched the third.

I figured out what makes them so good, so obviously one not need be a genius to do it. You'd think Hollywood could figure it out, too.

Yet here we are.

Ywm3qMr.jpg

2 people like this

Note exactly a review of IT -

i-dreamt-of-clowns.png

Okay then....

The Auld Grump - and I though my dreams were weird....

2 people like this

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

The Mummy movies with Brendan Fraser were pretty much perfect--first couple, anyway. Never watched the third.

I figured out what makes them so good, so obviously one not need be a genius to do it. You'd think Hollywood could figure it out, too.

Yeah, you didn't miss much on the third, there.  The first two really are all you need.

3 people like this

On 9/10/2017 at 4:39 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

And I am somebody that enjoyed the movie Van Helsing....

Hey, I thought Van Helsing was entertaining brain candy....:poke:

2 people like this