Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

2233 posts in this topic

Was lazy this weekend and got some movies in between kids TV shows.

Hologram for the King. I am apparently the only one in my family that didn't mind this. However it really id not feel like a film. More like someone just filming an average high level manager trying to figure out the world when thrown into a new environment. 

The Magnificient Seven remake is pretty much what folks around here have said. A decent movie and worth watching, but the characters were not nearly as engaging as the original.  The indian character and old mountain man were my favorites. (I guess that is telling that I can't remember their names). 

Cowgirls and Angels was better than I expected. About what you would expect from a well done TV special though. Sappy story line with a mix of acting ability, but harmless to watch with a four year old running around. 

Next up is the Ben Hur remake. 

4 people like this

My fiancee and I watched Rocky Horror Picture Show in an interactive screening on Monday. It was her first time watching the movie at all and my first time for the Experience (second time watching the movie at all). I did warn her before we started that the movie itself was bad, but she still was complaining about it afterwards, saying that the audience callbacks made it bearable...

3 people like this

6 minutes ago, sumbloke said:

My fiancee and I watched Rocky Horror Picture Show in an interactive screening on Monday. It was her first time watching the movie at all and my first time for the Experience (second time watching the movie at all). I did warn her before we started that the movie itself was bad, but she still was complaining about it afterwards, saying that the audience callbacks made it bearable...

Aww :( 

It should have been fun!

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, sumbloke said:

That was pretty much my first experience with it. I walked out after about 15 minutes.  I did see it later on video,  and enjoyed it much more without the audience participation. 

4 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Aww :( 

It should have been fun!

Sorry if I didn't communicate it well enough - she was saying the movie itself was bad, but the Experience was what made it okay.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Well, yeah.... The movie is terrible, lol.   Any Rocky Horror fan will tell you that.... ::D:

(I was on the Rhode Island cast for eight years and used to perform at the national conventions. I have the lips and movie title tattooed on my right shoulderblade.)

Nobody likes Rocky Horror because it was a well-made movie. It was an excellent musical stage play, but the movie was utter crap. That's why people started doing the callbacks in the first place.

And speaking of seeing things for the first time, I have just found a dvd copy of that Russian superhero film Guardians...  I'll be watching it sometime this weekend, and will give a report.

As a superhero movie (and a foreign one with subtitles at that) I'm not expecting it to be much more than flashy eye candy, so we'll see how it goes. I know from the trailer that at least it looks pretty, so we'll see how entertaining it is.

Edited by Mad Jack
3 people like this

We have watched a couple of movies lately.  The Grey, with Liam Neeson, a survival horror movie about the survivors of a plane crash in Alaska that are being bounded by wolves.  We thought the movie was terrible.  The wolves did not act like normal wolves and the special effects were pretty bad.

And yesterday we watched Steven Spielberg's Lincoln, and it was excellent.  Worth watching for everyone.

2 people like this

I enjoyed Lincoln very much. 

We watched Support Your Local Sheriff last night. An oldie but a goodie.   "He put his finger in your what, Pa?"

4 people like this

We watched both Kingsman movies yesterday. The first as a refresher and the second as a birthday jaunt. The second movie had more room to develop the world since it wasn't an origin story, but I'm sad about [redacted]. Definitely worth watching if you like spy movies or Elton John.

3 people like this

Hubby and I watched King Kong: Skull Island on Friday. It was quite enjoyable, lots of monster smash, and of course I got all weepy when Kong got beat up. 

I also really liked that it ties in with Godzilla, and there will be more monster smash movies ^_^

3 people like this

I was pretty pleasantly surprised by Skull Island. John C Reilly pretty much made the movie for me.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Loim said:

I was pretty pleasantly surprised by Skull Island. John C Reilly pretty much made the movie for me.

Yeah, his character was great. I loved his sarcasm directed to Sam Jackson's character (who was less repugnant than I expected, based on the trailers).

1 person likes this

The fancy theater in town is running the original Blade Runner for a week, before Blade Runner: 2049 opens. It is still an amazing movie and not only holds up, but is weirdly relevant in some ways. A great movie to see again on the big screen.

Of course as you probably know there are many recuts of Blade Runner, so technically it isn't the original original, but this latest version is great, and the restoration looks great as well. 

I just hope 2049 doesn't disappoint by comparison since I'll go see it this weekend at the same theater...

3 people like this

We watched the sci-fi action movie The One.  It's bad, and not in a good way.  It featured Jet Li as an interdimensional murderer, and Jason Statham and Delroy Lindo as the cops out to bring him in.  They have to capture him and bring him to face trial, and throughout the movie they come face to face many times but can't simply shoot Li to bring him down.  No one thought to bring a taser or stun gun. 

Jet Li is a delight to watch in his martial arts sequences, but  The One was filmed a couple years before The Transporter,  so Statham  hasn't got his moves yet. 

3 people like this

Going to see the new Blade Runner this weekend. Not expecting it to be as good as the original but the trailers convinced me they at least got the feel right.

2 people like this