Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 1:04 PM, redambrosia said:

Everything is much more drab and gloomy than expected/ remembered/ experienced. It's all part of aesthetic.

Well, that's ALMOST good news.

I had just assumed that it was part of me turning into a grumbly, short-sighted old elfhead.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2018 at 7:49 PM, redambrosia said:

Well, it's comic book mythology. Plus Disney. I mean, it's not like they could really do Loki as Loki :lol: Not in this timeline!

Loki, why you walking funny?

Do you remember the giant's horse?

Yeah....

Well it was faster than I was. :blush:

On 4/22/2018 at 3:34 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

Hey, just because Loki got pregnant by a horse once doesn't mean anything!

He was just experimenting!*

loki-s-family-tree.png

The Auld Grump - the first book I ever read featuring Norse mythology was Day of the Giants by Lester Del Rey. It would be years later that I saw the comic book, and started mocking it immediately. ::P:

* It is worth mentioning that getting impregnated by a horse was not exactly part of Loki's plan to distract Svadilfare - it just turned out that the giant horse could run faster than Loki shapechanged into a mare....

Okay, you beat me to it.

But mine was funnier!

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Haha 3

Watched "It! The Terror From Beyond Space!" for the first time in forty years yesterday.

It was written by Jerome Bixby, who invented Star Trek's Mirror Universe and the Twilight Zone episode where Billy Mumy wishes people into the cornfield, among other things. And it was the first film that revolves around an extraterrestrial man eating monster who gets loose on a spaceship and begins picking off the crew, predating Alien by more than twenty years.

It's a fun, creepy little 1950s rocket jock movie that makes the most of its tiny budget, and holds up well even today, if one is indulgent. But I found two things that irritated me:

1. Whenever our heroes are in the control room? Background noise is heard of computers and machines running, as our heroes deliver dialogue. And one of those quiet, distant background noises is the electronic rattle/hiss sound made by the Martian war machines in War Of The Worlds (1953). Since It! was made five years later, I'm guessing they found it on a stock sound effects reel and decided it sounded like a spaceship noise. But to an old badfilm buff like me, it makes me expect the Martians to come dashing in any second now.

2. Most of the film occurs aboard a rocket en route back to Earth from Mars. We regularly cut to exterior shots of the rocket, and in several scenes, our heroes put on space suits and walk on the outside of the rocket, attempting to outmaneuver the alien monster. And every single scene that happens in space? We get this ooooeeeeeooooeeeeooooeeee sound effect. Apparently, back in the fifties, someone thought outer space sounded like a slide whistle.

But aside from that, if one can stomach elderly space rocket stories, I recommend it. It's probably where Dan O'Bannon stole the plot for Alien, and it's a fun comparison!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 6/18/2018 at 7:04 AM, redambrosia said:

Everything is much more drab and gloomy than expected/ remembered/ experienced. It's all part of aesthetic.

Well, that explains Zack Snyder, then, doesn't it?

The Auld Grump - the clues are subtle, but I do not much like Snyder's take on the DC super hero movies....

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Watched "It! The Terror From Beyond Space!" for the first time in forty years yesterday.

It was written by Jerome Bixby, who invented Star Trek's Mirror Universe and the Twilight Zone episode where Billy Mumy wishes people into the cornfield, among other things. And it was the first film that revolves around an extraterrestrial man eating monster who gets loose on a spaceship and begins picking off the crew, predating Alien by more than twenty years.

It's a fun, creepy little 1950s rocket jock movie that makes the most of its tiny budget, and holds up well even today, if one is indulgent. But I found two things that irritated me:

1. Whenever our heroes are in the control room? Background noise is heard of computers and machines running, as our heroes deliver dialogue. And one of those quiet, distant background noises is the electronic rattle/hiss sound made by the Martian war machines in War Of The Worlds (1953). Since It! was made five years later, I'm guessing they found it on a stock sound effects reel and decided it sounded like a spaceship noise. But to an old badfilm buff like me, it makes me expect the Martians to come dashing in any second now.

2. Most of the film occurs aboard a rocket en route back to Earth from Mars. We regularly cut to exterior shots of the rocket, and in several scenes, our heroes put on space suits and walk on the outside of the rocket, attempting to outmaneuver the alien monster. And every single scene that happens in space? We get this ooooeeeeeooooeeeeooooeeee sound effect. Apparently, back in the fifties, someone thought outer space sounded like a slide whistle.

But aside from that, if one can stomach elderly space rocket stories, I recommend it. It's probably where Dan O'Bannon stole the plot for Alien, and it's a fun comparison!

Not slide whistle - Theremin! (The inventor of the Theremin was later kidnapped by Soviet Agents, and returned to Russia.)

A Theremin can make any song Science Fiction!

The Auld Grump

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Not slide whistle - Theremin! (The inventor of the Theremin was later kidnapped by Soviet Agents, and returned to Russia.)

The Auld Grump

Are you sure? A theremin was used for much of the score for Forbidden Planet, and this didn't sound much like a theremin... admittedly, it didn't sound much like a slide whistle, either... and as cheap as this movie was, I wouldn't have thought they could AFFORD a theremin.

1 hour ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Are you sure? A theremin was used for much of the score for Forbidden Planet, and this didn't sound much like a theremin... admittedly, it didn't sound much like a slide whistle, either... and as cheap as this movie was, I wouldn't have thought they could AFFORD a theremin.

A theramin is literally just a magnetic field attached to a speaker. You can make one by dismantling just about any piece of electronics.

3 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The Auld Grump

They're also the only instrument where touching it breaks it.  Well, stops it from making noise anyways... 

4 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The Auld Grump

Leon Tremen 1896-1993, (My keyboard doesn't do Cyrillic, so apologies to Russian speakers), inventor of his namesake instrument, has a very odd history indeed:

https://www.encyclopedia.com/people/literature-and-arts/music-history-composers-and-performers-biographies/leon-theremin

Edited by paintybeard
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Or they could afford to rent/borrow/steal a Theremin - but not a trained professional to play it. (Which would be my actual guess.)

One of the comments on the Over the Rainbow video above was 'Anyone want to buy a used Theremin? I haven't touched it in years.' :lol: About half the people got the joke.

The Auld Grump - not all that long ago, I got to listen to a performer playing a glass harmonium. Invented by Benjamin Franklin, and almost as weird an instrument as the Theremin....

*EDIT* Looking online, it looks like at least some of the music was played on an electric violin.

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, etherial said:

A theramin is literally just a magnetic field attached to a speaker. You can make one by dismantling just about any piece of electronics.

I didn't know that.

I'm not sure ANYONE knew that in 1958, with the exception of that Russian dude.

That being said, the glass armonica is an AWESOME instrument, although I understand people who can PLAY one are kind of at a premium.

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 1

Jurassic World fully met my expectations.  Fun romp with dinosaurs and explosions. 

• Like 1