Jump to content

Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

Recommended Posts

On 7/6/2018 at 9:00 AM, paintybeard said:

 

I loved this one, set in Pigsty Alley, and how the awful, slatternly wife of the landlord turns out to be a Kung-fu master!

For Gods' sake man - spoiler warning! ::P:

 

A seriously dumb fun movie. ::):

 

The Auld Grump

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got around to seeing Justice League. The third most depressing movie I've ever seen with superheroes in it, right after the last Superman movie and the last Batman movie.

Is it just me, or is there just no durn FUN in the DC movies? Watching them feels like a chore.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

themanwhoshotliberty_1962_mp_6sht_1200_072820111120.thumb.jpg.687d4e03dea7c0db100ac0833f94d5d2.jpg This one, on the other hand, is STILL a stone classic.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5C5319A7-D1E3-4C5E-A1F8-245A9B369730.jpeg.f0d76e1fb5fdb9363b42cdbf11821272.jpeg

 

Finally watched this since it hit Netflix. Movie was bad, man. The folks running things do not understand the property. Shame what they've done with it.

  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2018 at 11:20 AM, Dr.Bedlam said:

Finally got around to seeing Justice League. The third most depressing movie I've ever seen with superheroes in it, right after the last Superman movie and the last Batman movie.

Is it just me, or is there just no durn FUN in the DC movies? Watching them feels like a chore.

Wonder Woman.

 

Let me repeat.

 

Wonder Woman.

 

Fun. Enjoyable. Hopeful, in spite of sacrifice.

 

It's not the source material at fault - it is the overall 'artistic vision' that is at fault.

 

Wonder Woman gets away from that - in spite of being set in WW1!

 

The Auld Grump - but somebody decided that making DC movies grim and grey was a good look for the films... (But did I mention Wonder Woman?  ::P: ) Megan and I own exactly one of the recent DC movies? Care to guess?

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 Found a copy of Rendel, the Finnish superhero movie, at the Goodwill recently...

It was... Finnish.

Very dark, not really a superhero film as much as a standard citizen-pushed-too-far revenge film, a bit confusing at first because you don't find out any of the "why" until about halfway through and you don't get the hero's complete origin story until at least three quarters of the way through it (although you can figure it out pretty quickly), overall just a somewhat generic film.

 

Also watched The Hitman's Bodyguard and The Shape of Water recently. Both were very good.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Wonder Woman.

 

Let me repeat.

 

Wonder Woman.

 

Fun. Enjoyable. Hopeful, in spite of sacrifice.

 

It's not the source material at fault - it is the overall 'artistic vision' that is at fault.

 

Wonder Woman gets away from that - in spite of being set in WW1!

 

The Auld Grump - but somebody decided that making DC movies grim and grey was a good look for the films... (But did I mention Wonder Woman?  ::P: ) Megan and I own exactly one of the recent DC movies? Care to guess?

Same. Justice league wasn't actually as bad as I was expecting, though it was still awful. And while marvel's villains have been mostly "meh", DC's villains have just been lame, even wonder woman's. That was the one meh thing about her movie.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Same. Justice league wasn't actually as bad as I was expecting, though it was still awful. And while marvel's villains have been mostly "meh", DC's villains have just been lame, even wonder woman's. That was the one meh thing about her movie.

 

Got to agree with this. David Thewlis as the Big Bad just wasn't very convincing. Far too well spoken for a God of War.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"A scene where the hero makes an absolute fool of his opponents." This is a thing that belongs, occasionally, in an RPG session, and certainly a superhero movie. A scene where you honkin' ROOT FOR THE HERO, as he kicks broccoli and takes names. A perfect example is in the first Iron Man movie, in the scene where he's gone back to Carbombistan and confronts the evil evil terrorists who are attacking civilians and putting them in trucks for some reason, and shooting some of them for the lulz. After he trashes them, he is shot by a tank, shoots the tank back, blows up a stash of his munitions, and then tangles with a couple of American fighter jets.

He is The Invincible Iron Man, and it is glorious. It's FUN. Pure wild goofy comic book fun. And you'll note that MOST Marvel films throw this in somewhere; EVERY scene where Spider-Man deals with a street thug or ordinary robber, that crook is going to be humiliated. Sure, maybe stuff will get serious later, but we got those scenes where Super Hero gets to be Super Hero, durnit.

DC movie? If Superman confronts a liquor store robber, the robber's going to be carrying a chunk of Kryptonite for some reason. If Batman confronts a liquor store robber, he's going to brutalize the poor broccoli, or worse, kill him... which subverts my expectations. When did Batman kill people? Use guns? I didn't buy a ticket for Die Hard, did I?

I guess that's my issue. The DC people are making movies about vicious brutal action stars who can fly and have heat vision, and their even worse opponents, who need to be killed for the good of mankind, and when I complain that this isn't what I grew up reading in comic books, Zach Snyder just sneers and says, "Well, you don't understand the characters."

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:15 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

For Gods' sake man - spoiler warning! ::P:

 

 

The Auld Grump

 

Having thought about this long and hard I have decided that I am going to put a request to the UN to pass a ruling: How long does a film have to be released for before "spoiler" warnings are no longer required?

 

 And when that has been decided someone can explain "Mulholland Drive" and "Donnie Darko" to me.

Edited by paintybeard
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

Having thought about this long and hard I have decided that I am going to put a request to the UN to pass a ruling: How long does a film have to be released for before "spoiler" warnings are no longer required?

 

You have a fundamental misunderstanding here. Spoiler warnings are no longer required after I have seen the movie or decided not to see it ever.

 

16 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

 And when that has been decided someone can explain "Mulholland Drive" and "Donnie Darko" to me.

 

No, nobody can.

  • Haha 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What? Donnie Darko was simple enough, especially if you've seen the director's cut.

Mulholland Drive, on the other hand...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw Ant Man and the Wasp today. Fun movie, as expected. Loved seeing Michelle Pheiffer. 

 

Man, they really missed an opportunity not having Micheal Peña narrate a overview of everything that happened leading up to infinity war. :lol:

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Saw Ant Man and the Wasp today. Fun movie, as expected. Loved seeing Michelle Pheiffer. 

 

Man, they really missed an opportunity not having Micheal Peña narrate a overview of everything that happened leading up to infinity war. :lol:

I wonder how much it would cost to hire him to just do that? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  A different kind of superhero movie ... Beowulf & Grendal ... beneath the legend lies the tail ... my favorite take on the old tail to date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×