Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

I think A) that's the only way you'd get Jackman to come back to Wolverine; and B) Tom Holland would have so much fun in a deadpool musical :lol:

• Like 5

14 hours ago, strawhat said:

If, and only if, you can get Jackman to do Wolverine one more time!

:winkthumbs:

Wolverine as the Beast, and Deadpool as the Beauty?

Yeah, I can see that.

But I can't unsee it. ::(:::P:

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* Followed by Deadpool on Ice....

• Haha 4
  • Confused 2

On 9/12/2018 at 11:07 AM, TheAuldGrump said:

Wolverine as the Beast, and Deadpool as the Beauty?

Yeah, I can see that.

But I can't unsee it. ::(:::P:

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* Followed by Deadpool on Ice....

No, Beast as the Beast, Kitty Pryde as Belle.

Not that I have thought this through or anything. ::P:

Kitty Pryde NEEDS her own movie!

And NOT with Deadpool or Squirrel Girl!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am afraid I have become too much of a cynic.  Had a 5 hour flight so I thought j would catch up on some more popular movies

Deadpool2:  meh.  Does everybody have to be whiny and spool predictable?  All those plots and no surprises? 

SOLO:  expected to be bored wasn't disappointed 

Infinity wars: so much visual and aural noise, so little actually going on.

I was completely underwhelmed.

• Thanks 1

I definitely have too many hormones swimming around in my brain. Jurassic World made me cry several times. 

Most of the people who deserved to get eaten got eaten. So, there's that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

FAFA9586-D1C2-468A-AD52-6EC558ADE131.jpeg.83c5230570687fde9912a5b7b47c5205.jpeg

Surprisingly enjoyable! Far and away the most competently written Thor movie. Jokes were actually funny and well-timed. Action well-paced mostly. Kinda pointless and too long, but a huge step forward for the subseries.

08E77A49-04B5-47A6-8043-4CA91DD1A7C7.jpeg.5c8e0af5a76798eadaca8db413b9dd2c.jpeg

The exact same movie as Iron Man and Ant-Man but with the typical Marvel shtick reskinned this time in an African theme. That's a positive, as those are by far the most successfully executed movies in the franchise, but Black Panther unfortunately lacks a cast with comparable chops to sell the lines and hit the cues. Disappointing, given the hype, but unsurprising.

607C3984-C164-4416-8CCE-5930F66FE77C.jpeg.92ac97662bc5625fd7256a0ae4e52cab.jpeg

Absolutely fabulous. Beautifully desolate landscapes, otherworldly sea creatures, penguins and seals of course, and misfits and madmen wildeyed and toiling away at the end of the earth.

I'd love to visit Antarctica, to actually live and work there a while. I think I'd fit in pretty well. Don't know if they have a need for failed writers/farmers tho.

See also: Laura van den Berg's short story, "Antarctica."

See also: Second Impact.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Situations (mostly) beyond my control prevented us from seeing any movies earlier this year, so we missed Black Panther, Infinity War, Solo, and Ant-Man and the Wasp.

I've caught up on three of those now (without needing the new Blu-Ray player I just bought, the old one decided to start working again out of the...heh...blue).

The Black Panther was good, but not great.  To be fair, as Marvin said, there was an absurd amount of hype to live up to, and not many movies could.

Avengers: Infinity War had a lot of ups and downs.  I've got some issues with things, but want to watch it again before I decide how I feel about it.

On the whole, despite Marvel being at/near the top of CGI, they need to stop relying on it.  It's getting distracting.

Solo was very mediocre.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't exactly good.  I appreciate the Easter Eggs like the call-out to Aurra Sing.  I think that part of the problem is that there just wasn't any real sense of risk on the part of the characters.  I'm hoping they do better with Kenobi's and Fett's movies.  And I'm hoping that "you know who" will be much more prominent.

Got the urge to re-watch the Dr. Phibes films.

I know they're not very good and rather silly, but I love them and it's a shame the various attempts to make more of them over the years never amounted to anything.

• Thanks 2

I went to go see "The House with a Clock in its Walls", both to get some time alone and to check and see if my daughter was old enough to see it.  She's not old enough, but I had a great time watching this movie.  Some nicely creepy bits, and some fun character bits as well.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, John Fiala said:

I went to go see "The House with a Clock in its Walls", both to get some time alone and to check and see if my daughter was old enough to see it.  She's not old enough, but I had a great time watching this movie.  Some nicely creepy bits, and some fun character bits as well.

Did it live up to the book?

I've been kind of afraid to watch the movie, because I met Bellairs while he was in Maine, way back when. (I was a sprog at the time.)

I loved those books all to pieces, along with Face in the Frost.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Did it live up to the book?

I've been kind of afraid to watch the movie, because I met Bellairs while he was in Maine, way back when. (I was a sprog at the time.)

I loved those books all to pieces, along with Face in the Frost.

The Auld Grump

To be honest, I don't know yet.  I haven't read the book that I can remember, which is a shame, because it sounds like it'd have been right up my alley.

But as a movie, I liked it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John Fiala said:

To be honest, I don't know yet.  I haven't read the book that I can remember, which is a shame, because it sounds like it'd have been right up my alley.

But as a movie, I liked it.

I remember the book he was working on when he visited Maine - The Spell of the Sorcerer's Skull - then years later hearing the song that was one of the big clues in the book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oUDvqPifFY

The Auld Grump - song came first - Bellairs just liked the song. ::):

• Like 1

Just got back from A Star is Born.  Oh my sweet baby Christmas that was amazing.  Gaga of course can sing anything but Cooper was strong as well.  And the feels.  Man the feels.  Gonna have to see it again.

• Like 1