Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

Wife and I watched Venom today. Both enjoyed it. Kind of a cookie cutter plot, but, a know, superhero movie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pegazus said:

Wife and I watched Venom today. Both enjoyed it. Kind of a cookie cutter plot, but, a know, superhero movie.

It kinda fell apart in the third act, but it's the best Superhero Romcom since Deadpool 1.

• Like 3

We are putting together a Fun But Bad Monster Movies list for Halloween.

I picked Hansel & Gretel - Witch Hunters.

Grump has Bubba Hotep.

Julie picked Monster Squad.

Jon picked something called Brain Dead. The only one I know nothing about.

Dunc has Van Helsing.

The idea is that we watch the movies and go MST3K on them. ::P:

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Hansel & Gretel is fun-bad. I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Van Helsing is pleasing. 

Brain Dead is um... it is a record setter for something. You can take a guess at what. Also check who the producer is when you are done. After finishing... because reasons. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Hansel & Gretel is fun-bad. I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Van Helsing is pleasing. 

Brain Dead is um... it is a record setter for something. You can take a guess at what. Also check who the producer is when you are done. After finishing... because reasons. 

Braindead is a heck of a fun movie - when you are in the right mood and/or under the influence of alcohol.

And, yes, the man went in entirely different directions when he was done with the splatter genre.

Monster Squad is the one that I consider the odd film in the list.

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* Gods... I am tempted to add Lifeforce to the list.  Teenage Grump loved that movie.... For unfortunately obvious reasons. (Then again, I also liked the book the movie was based on... so, maybe not that surprising.)

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

So I just watched The Voices.  Its a Ryan Reynolds movie on Netflix. 

If you're in to dark (perhaps extremely dark) comedies then I highly recommend it.  It is not for the faint of heart.  But it is a good low budget movie that surprised me. 

Hubby had me watch the original Fright Night. It was pretty fun. Lots of terrible 80s hair and fashion. 

The seduction scene was pretty gross though.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Weird-O said:

Which character?

Our Pathfinder characters. (Jon's bloodrager. Julie's white necromancer, Duncan's swashbuckler, my vigilante, Megan's sea witch, Jen's gunslinger. So far.)

We now have two movies from the same director - The Frighteners has been added to the list. (Unfairly, in my opinion, The Frighteners isn't a bad movie.)

The Auld Grump - but Jen doesn't watch a lot of horror movies, so she is getting her movie. ::):

Edited by TheAuldGrump

I got to see Burlesque on cable last night.  It was good, but not nearly as good as I seem to remember the reviews saying it was.  Since it was edited I suspect some key scenes got lost, and that was why. 

Looking forward to seeing First Man in the theater soon. 

• Like 2

On 10/9/2018 at 3:28 PM, PaganMegan said:

We are putting together a Fun But Bad Monster Movies list for Halloween.

I picked Hansel & Gretel - Witch Hunters.

Grump has Bubba Hotep.

Julie picked Monster Squad.

Jon picked something called Brain Dead. The only one I know nothing about.

Dunc has Van Helsing.

The idea is that we watch the movies and go MST3K on them. ::P:

I watch Monster Squad every once in awhile with my kids and I think it holds up fairly well.  Maybe that's just me ::):

If you are looking for a fun but bad monster movie I would suggest House.  Although I feel it is a bit self aware so I don't know if that would take away from the fun of MST3King it but it is a fun movie.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NecroMancer said:

I watch Monster Squad every once in awhile with my kids and I think it holds up fairly well.  Maybe that's just me ::):

If you are looking for a fun but bad monster movie I would suggest House.  Although I feel it is a bit self aware so I don't know if that would take away from the fun of MST3King it but it is a fun movie.  

House II - best scene Bill Towner: Electrician/Adventurer.

A classic! ::D:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZeEC70Hw38&t=6s

The Auld Grump

• Like 3

We watched Annabelle yesterday, it was pretty good. They built up tension really well. Had a kinda cliche ending, but still good. 

We also watched The Cleanse, with Johnny Galecki. It wasn't a horror film, or even very suspenseful. It was like, a psychological slightly-monstery movie. It was... okay. 

And then this morning we watched Jigsaw. It was... a Saw movie. :shrug: 

Hubby is using movies to distract himself from his worries.

• Like 2