Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

Watched the Pitch Perfect movies. All three of them. Hadn't seen them before, but they were something my wanted to binge watch.

We also watched John Wick 2, Atomic Blonde, and La La Land...well, I fell asleep during La La Land.

• Like 4

The fight scenes in Atomic Blonde....

It was obvious that the director had seen actual fights.

It was equally obvious that the director had never seen actual fights between trained combatants.

The Auld Grump

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The fight scenes in Atomic Blonde....

It was obvious that the director had seen actual fights.

It was equally obvious that the director had never seen actual fights between trained combatants.

The Auld Grump

I honestly don't know how I felt about the fight scenes. They simultaneously were more and less realistic than most. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hubby and I watched Skyscraper, that film with the Rock as a security consulatant for the largest building in the world. It didn't do well in the box office, partially because people thought it was a Die Hard rip off. I can confidently say that, aside from being set in a mostly empty building and there being elfholes with guns wanting to kill them all, there's really no similarity. I actually thought it was more similar to The Towering Inferno, which is also wasn't very similar to. 

Anyway, it was a fun action movie. Enough plot to make sense, but not much more. Decent actors, convincing effects, and children who weren't so stupid you wanted them to fall off the building. It's a popcorn movie... a shame I didn't have any popcorn.

• Like 5

On 10/18/2018 at 3:41 AM, redambrosia said:

Hubby and I watched Skyscraper, that film with the Rock as a security consulatant for the largest building in the world. It didn't do well in the box office, partially because people thought it was a Die Hard rip off. I can confidently say that, aside from being set in a mostly empty building and there being elfholes with guns wanting to kill them all, there's really no similarity. I actually thought it was more similar to The Towering Inferno, which is also wasn't very similar to. 

Anyway, it was a fun action movie. Enough plot to make sense, but not much more. Decent actors, convincing effects, and children who weren't so stupid you wanted them to fall off the building. It's a popcorn movie... a shame I didn't have any popcorn.

I loved the fact that his prosthetic leg was more than just a thing to stumble against that magically saves the day because it's a movie. He really thought of it as a tool and used it intelligently for a variety of things.

• Like 3

I saw Star Trek - Beyond for the first time last weekend.

Kinda nice, I love Star Trek, but a little bit far fetched to defeat the enemy with a song..

I've been playing Motörhead since I was 15yrs old and my enemies still live.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Haha 7

On 10/18/2018 at 1:36 AM, Talae said:

I honestly don't know how I felt about the fight scenes. They simultaneously were more and less realistic than most. 

I LOVELOVELOVE Atomic Blonde.

For my part, I don't care much about the question of "realism" in fights. I care about how the fights support the show... Realistic and historical technique can be a part of that, but far from all.

The fights in Atomic Blonde fit very well within the world, they all had clear narrative that provided forward momentum to both the fight itself from moment to moment and to the overall plot. I thought they were a logical extension of both the circumstances within the story and the cinematic period to which the movie paid homage.

All in all, as a fight director, Atomic Blonde is easily in my top five favorite fight movies, and I think my favorite of any fight movie made within the last decade*. I need to watch it again, but I would happily talk about it for hours (and did, in the week after I first saw it... I'm a bit of a nerd**.)

*This is an admittedly bold statement which has not been thoroughly researched. There are a few movies which may be newer than I remember.

**Duh.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sanael said:

I LOVELOVELOVE Atomic Blonde.

For my part, I don't care much about the question of "realism" in fights. I care about how the fights support the show... Realistic and historical technique can be a part of that, but far from all.

The fights in Atomic Blonde fit very well within the world, they all had clear narrative that provided forward momentum to both the fight itself from moment to moment and to the overall plot. I thought they were a logical extension of both the circumstances within the story and the cinematic period to which the movie paid homage.

All in all, as a fight director, Atomic Blonde is easily in my top five favorite fight movies, and I think my favorite of any fight movie made within the last decade*. I need to watch it again, but I would happily talk about it for hours (and did, in the week after I first saw it... I'm a bit of a nerd**.)

*This is an admittedly bold statement which has not been thoroughly researched. There are a few movies which may be newer than I remember.

**Duh.

John Wick /cough cough

• Like 2

Just now, Citrine said:

John Wick /cough cough

A reasonable suggestion. I'm ashamed to say that I have somehow failed to see John Wick. I don't understand this, either, but it's true. My understanding is that it might indeed give AB a run for its money, but I just don't know yet.

That said (although it isn't necessarily related to the fights, especially since I hear Reeves did a TON of work for Wick) in my book, there is no criteria by which Keanu Reeves is better than Charlize Theron.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I thought John Wick was more shoot-em-up than fisticuffs. Both are good, but Atomic Blonde gets my vote. Not seen JW2 yet, but it's on my list.

Watched Screamers:- The Hunting (the reason I was re-watching Screamers last week).

Had no idea they'd made a sequel, until I'd stumbled upon it the other week.

Still a big pile of silly sci-fi nonsense with a very obvious twist ending, but I'd say that this was the better film, mainly down to a decade of advancements in FX making the human Screamers a lot creepier (if still laughably impractical). 

• Like 1