Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

I recently watched The Shipping News. It's got Kevin Spacey, Julianne Moore and Dame Judi Dench as a bunch of Newfoundlanders (well, Spacey isn't so much native Newfie) and Cate Blanchett as a Jersey Shore reject. And a nice little script. It's been a while since I enjoyed a random movie so much. 

That movie is positively scandalous here.  I don't even remember why.  But I do know that mentioning it is an excellent way to get rode out on a rail.  I haven't seen it because I don't want anybody to find out I did such a thing and exile me.  No idea why it's so provacative but you'd get less of a reaction if you were caught french-kissing Hitler. 

• Like 3

I recently watched The Shipping News. It's got Kevin Spacey, Julianne Moore and Dame Judi Dench as a bunch of Newfoundlanders (well, Spacey isn't so much native Newfie) and Cate Blanchett as a Jersey Shore reject. And a nice little script. It's been a while since I enjoyed a random movie so much. 

That movie is positively scandalous here.  I don't even remember why.  But I do know that mentioning it is an excellent way to get rode out on a rail.  I haven't seen it because I don't want anybody to find out I did such a thing and exile me.  No idea why it's so provacative but you'd get less of a reaction if you were caught french-kissing Hitler. 

I imagine because it isn't particularly kind to the idiosyncrasies of Newfoundland culture. The basic gist is that Spacey's family is from there, but he was born in the US and has never been to his ancestral home. Things happen and he goes to live in his family's old house. The Newfoundland town is full of hilarious bumpkins, manipulative kings-of-town and destructive drunken morons. They're all ultimately pretty cuddly characters, but I could imagine it wouldn't be all that endearing to the people it purports to hold a mirror to.

• Like 1

Recently: Big Hero 6.  New Disney flick.  Great movie.  There are a lot of fat jokes and fart jokes throughout the film, which I found facile and kind of boring, even though the rest of the theatre found them uproarious.  The themes the movie tried to play on, though, were touching and very well done.

The Breakfast Club.  For the 12th time, I'm sure.  One of my favorites

Annie Hall.  Because Woody Allen is supposed to be a cinematic genius.  It was pretty good, I suppose.  I wonder if Charlie Kaufman's Synecdoche New York drew some inspiration from this, when Woody is trying to write and direct a play that follows the course of his failing relationship, only he changes the ending of the arguments so that he always emerges the winner.

To Watch Soon:  The Hobbit 3.  Tempted to drive the two hours into the city and watch it today, actually.

Achorman 2.  It just showed up on Netflix, and I've always loved quoting the first movie.

Interstellar - I heard it was like 3 hours long, and not so ravely reviewed as some of Christopher Nolan's other movies, but because I love apocalypse movies, sci-fi, and Anne Hathaway, I MUST see this film.

Edit: I hit post before I was done!!!

Edited by Sabith

We just watched X-Men: Days of Future Past last night.  Why: we hadn't seen it yet. It was pretty good; it sparked a pretty interesting family discussion for quite a while after we finished it.

Plan to see: besides a lot of recent movies that we've missed in the theater, we're planning on seeing the third Hobbit movie fairly soon.

• Like 1

@Talae wooo! Robin Hood Men in Tights, showed it to my students and a good majority enjoyed the movie. 

@dsmiles, Axe Gang! (I think it's the intro), *shuffle shuffle* ^__^

Students? I would imagine that I could get in trouble for showing that one to my 7th graders...

Just watched Christmas Vacation. Kind of a family tradition even though I'm not home this year. Wife isn't a fan, so I watched it while she was still at work.

A family tradition for us too! I finally picked up our own copy the other day on BluRay.

Today I watched Iron Man 3 because I thought the release of Guardians of the Galaxy was a good excuse to re-watch most of the Marvel films (skipped Incredible Hulk), so I've been watching one a week.

So far, I've found that they all hold up to repeat viewing quite well.

• Like 2

@Talae wooo! Robin Hood Men in Tights, showed it to my students and a good majority enjoyed the movie.

@dsmiles, Axe Gang! (I think it's the intro), *shuffle shuffle* ^__^

Students? I would imagine that I could get in trouble for showing that one to my 7th graders...

Mine were ninth graders. Three scenes come to mind for the young. Though, a good majority probably seen something similar our worse. XD

Maid Merriam singing in the bath tub.

Robin singing scene "the moon is high"

Jackhammer scene.

Wanna go see the third Hobbit movie... not because I have high expectations, but, well, dragon. And I saw the first two in theatres, and I might as well complete the experience. Plus, dragon. And I have it on good authority that there is a dwarf mounted on a war pig.

Miracle On 34th Street, a few nights ago... love that movie, the old one with Edmund Gwenn as Kris Kringle. Gwenn just utterly nailed that role.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is a tradition for me, albeit a painful one, as I don't view it as a comedy so much as a view of every family Christmas until I left home, with my dad as Chevy Chase and me in Rusty's role. Let's invite a million relatives to sleep on every flat surface in the house! Errrgh. Maybe that's why I find the film so funny...

Evil Dead II is a Christmas tradition around here as well -- the original Bruce Campbell version. Love that movie!

• Like 1

Showing my age and the time of the season...just watched two old classic films (and still enjoy them with each viewing)...they were Miracle On 34th Street and White Christmas!

• Like 1

Watched Nightmare Before Christmas with the kids. Was the four year old's idea.

• Like 3

I imagine because it isn't particularly kind to the idiosyncrasies of Newfoundland culture. The basic gist is that Spacey's family is from there, but he was born in the US and has never been to his ancestral home. Things happen and he goes to live in his family's old house. The Newfoundland town is full of hilarious bumpkins, manipulative kings-of-town and destructive drunken morons. They're all ultimately pretty cuddly characters, but I could imagine it wouldn't be all that endearing to the people it purports to hold a mirror to.

I risked exile and watched it.  Now I see - it doesn't paint everyone like saints, which is practically a capital offense around here.  But I can tell you it's a painfully accurate depiction.  Even the Quoyle ghosts in the attic, there's a fair helping of dark in my dad's side. 

Also that cove is what 99% of the whole place looks like.  You see now why I've never seen a beach with sand. 

Anyway, my verdict is that we need to get over ourselves - which is long overdue anyhow.

• Like 2

Watched Nightmare before Christmas (for the first time actually) the other day. My vote is it needs to be shown on American Thanksgiving, as it can't decide for sure if it is a Halloween movie or a Christmas movie, so stick it between. Also, drove niece and nephew crazy 'singing'  "what's this, what's this" or some variation of for, well, everything

• Like 1

I don't own nearly as many of the Marvel movies as I should...

I kind of stopped buying them after The Avengers, so I only have the Phase 1 movies. At this point I'll probably wait until a nice Phase 2 boxed set comes out before getting any more, though I would like to watch Guardians of the Galaxy again.

• Like 1