Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

51 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Duncan has it mainly for what he considers the best recording of Star Wars, before Lucas started mucking everything up.

The Auld Grump

There may be a "new" alternative to it now.

A group called Team Negative One got a hold of some of the original 35mm theatrical prints and restored them themselves, and in HD. Image quality is on par with Blu-Ray (better or worse depending on the scene).

The real trouble is finding a copy as it is absolutely not condoned by Disney.

This is my "real" reason to buying a Blu-Ray disc writer.

• Like 5

I just watched The Fog (1980). I don't know why, but that film gives me the severe heebee jeebees every time I watch it. I mean, it's old, hokey and hasn't aged well at all, but it really unsettles me anyway :unsure:

Of course, the remake is horrifying in a totally different way...

• Like 2

Watched "The Hitman's Bodyguard" over the weekend.  Certainly seemed as though the cast had a good time making it.  Different kind of role for Salma Hayek.  It was a little disconcerting watching Elodie Yung since I'd only ever seen her as Electra in Netflix's Daredevil/Defenders shows.  I enjoyed it. ::D:

• Like 4

I saw First Man for my birthday over the weekend. The cinematography was amazing, it really felt like I was transported to the 1960s. Seeing what grief was like in dysfunctional relationships, OTOH, that was less fun.

• Like 4

We watched All the Way last night, about President Lyndon Johnson in the year after President Kennedy was shot.  Very interesting movie about that time period, and the political maneuvers to get the Civil Rights Bill passed.

• Like 3

Hubby has been watching lots (lots) of horror flicks while I've been asleep. Most of them he hasn't cared to show me, but he decided I had to watch You Might Be The Killer. It was well worth it, a hilarious take on slasher flicks. If you like the genre, it's well worth it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/24/2018 at 10:33 AM, TheAuldGrump said:

And... yeah, it would not surprise me if the player is older than you, it was a short lived medium, but paved the way for the more convenient, more compact, and less expensive CDs later on. (Japan used to have movies recorded on CD - two CDs for each movie.)

I had a few of those from back when I worked at the comic shop. 

Caught the end of Independence Day 2 and the beginning of Transformers Age of Extinction at dinner last night. Both seem incredibly silly. 

• Like 2

Just watched Night of the Comet on amazon... man, what a goofy silly classic movie. Putting on Lifeforce next.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Crowley said:

Just watched Night of the Comet on amazon... man, what a goofy silly classic movie. Putting on Lifeforce next.

Well... that was something... :blink:

Mathilda May was certainly worth watching. :devil: The rest? I mean... It was... something. 

18 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Well... that was something... :blink:

Mathilda May was certainly worth watching. :devil: The rest? I mean... It was... something. 

There was a reason that Teenage Grump liked the movie.... <_<

The Auld Grump

• Haha 2

Just now, TheAuldGrump said:

There was a reason that Teenage Grump liked the movie.... <_<

The Auld Grump

I completely understand. 

On 10/27/2018 at 1:18 PM, Crowley said:

Both classics... I have Night of the Comet on VHS. Someday I'm going to go to a ComicCon and present it to Robert Beltran for an autograph - I'm sure it'll be a nice change from signing all that Voyager stuff, lol...

I just watched an amazingly awesome movie...

I Think We're Alone Now, starring Peter Dinklage.

Mr.Dinklage plays a last-man-on-earth character living by himself in a small town after the rest of humanity has suddenly all dropped dead in the streets. His life is interrupted when a young woman played by Elle Fanning shows up and he discovers he is not, in fact, alone.

The movie is an hour and a half long, but the entire script of the film could be written out on a handful of notebook paper, and there are only four actors in the entire film: Peter Dinklage, Elle Fanning, Paul Giamati and Charlotte Gainsbourg.

It was freakin' brilliant.

You all need to go watch it now. Yes, you. Go. Now.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

We watched two things worth mentioning. First: The Haunting of Hill House, a series on Netflix. It was good, beautifully acted, well written. Less scary though, more sad and tragic. 

Second: Get Out. It was quite good. It seemed slow at first, but that just the tension building. I did not quite expect the ending, it was creepy in a completely different way than I thought it would be.

• Like 3