Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

On 10/27/2018 at 1:18 PM, Crowley said:

Just watched Night of the Comet on amazon... man, what a goofy silly classic movie. Putting on Lifeforce next.

Which reminds me, I want to see if I can dig up Year of the Comet - I am pretty sure Megan has never even heard of it, unless I have mentioned it to her.

(Rotten Tomatoes was not kind to that movie. ::P: )

The Auld Grump

6255089-sa.jpg

I bet I'd've loved this circa 1996.

Alas, it's 2018. It was okay, I guess. Felt half-finished.

6A6CF4B4-C523-45F3-878A-E6B975CBB21A.jpeg.96a1815b3e2bd2aaa351893689e642d8.jpeg

Held up surprisingly well. Still goofy and all, but fun. Kris Kristopherson 4 lyfe.

• Like 4

Watching Death Becomes Her. 

Somehow I never realized that that's Bruce Willis. I'm gonna blame all that hair on his head. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Watching Death Becomes Her. 

Somehow I never realized that that's Bruce Willis. I'm gonna blame all that hair on his head. :lol:

Possibly the most... unique... of Bruce Willis's movies.... :lol:

I really enjoyed it, not sure if Megan has seen it.

The Auld Grump - and soooo much better than Hudson Hawk....

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Watched Batman Ninja, it was rather odd.

Kind of like watching a somewhat hyperactive child playing with their action figures.

• Haha 2

I'm working from home today. And watching Beerfest!

If you've never seen Beefest, it has the 2nd best plot twist in all of movie history. (Only beaten by Vader's "I'm your father".)

On 11/4/2018 at 9:49 AM, TheAuldGrump said:

The Auld Grump - and soooo much better than Hudson Hawk....

Hudson Hawk is a masterpiece of movie making! Also, I watched Surrogates the other night. Another great Willis movie.

We went to The Nutcracker movie.  I found it beautiful and entertaining, despite numerous departures from the traditional story. Mackenzie Foy did a good job as Clara. She was one of the few leads in the movie really acting her role.  Kiera Knightly was twitchy and spastic as the Sugarplum Fairy, and Morgan Freeman and Helen Mirren were wasted as Drosselmeyer and Mother Ginger.  Mathew Macfayden does what he does best: big sad eyes.   I felt sorry for the folks who walked out as the credits started, because Misty Copeland has an absolutely beautiful dance routine mid-credits. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

I watched Ant-Man and Ant Man and the Wasp with Mum on Wednesday, first time for Mum, third time for me. ::):

SO much fun!

SO much stupid! :lol:

And it is weird realizing that Ant-Man is a sequel to a movie that never was, so many references to the first Ant-Man, and even flashbacks - the hero is not the first Ant-Man, but the first one never had his own movie.

And Douglas played Hank Pym as a total kneebiter! One of the antagonist factions only exists because they hate Pym SO MUCH!

So very not surprised that it did better than Justice League. It was DUMB but it was FUN DUMB! Justice League was just as DUMB, but no fun.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

My mother-in-law gave us access to her movies on demand account, so we've been watching a few. 

Yesterday we watched Hotel Transylvania 3, which was good fun. I realized afterwards that Captain Erica seems to be based on Doris Day. At least looks wise. 

Tonight we watched Solo (Star Wars). I really enjoyed it. The flight scenes were fun, the backstory it provided Han was good, and Lando was {redacted}. 

Hubby also watched Deep Blue Sea 2 (because he loves terrible movies) and Murder on the Orient Express, which I had already seen without him. Of course, I didn't want to leave, because Murder on the Orient Express is so darn good, but I gotta work. 

Next up is The Grand Budapest Hotel. I've wanted to see that since it came out, just never had the chance.

• Like 5

On 10/24/2018 at 9:33 AM, TheAuldGrump said:

The low res had more to do with the resolution HBO recorded at than the limitations of the laser disk.

Duncan has it mainly for what he considers the best recording of Star Wars, before Lucas started mucking everything up.

It is also a format that some earlier anime was recorded on, and that was never converted to DVD.

He vacuum seals because of what was sometimes called 'laser rot' - the edges of early laser disks was not sealed, which allowed the actual media - sandwiched between two polymer layers - to slowly oxidize.

And... yeah, it would not surprise me if the player is older than you, it was a short lived medium, but paved the way for the more convenient, more compact, and less expensive CDs later on. (Japan used to have movies recorded on CD - two CDs for each movie.)

The Auld Grump

I don’t think I have them any more, but I used to have a little stack of gigantic old CDs (the size of vinyl LPs!) of things that couldn’t be found in the US, such as “Tampopo” and some Urusei Yatsura and Lone Wolf and Cub.

I watched Outlaw King on Netflix. Story about Robert the Bruce. Not a cinematic masterpiece, but a pretty decent watch. I don't know all the history, but I know of a few spots where they took a few minor liberties, but overall it seems to be much more historically accurate than Braveheart (low bar I know). I enjoyed it.  

• Like 1