Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

On 12/20/2018 at 4:20 AM, haldir said:

Watched Incredibles 2 the other night. While I throughly enjoyed the movie, the plot was very predictable (I had the villian picked out the moment they stepped in the room) & it followed the current Disney trend when it comes to their popular "boys only" movies.

That being said I loved the animation & the characters. I also loved that it continued pretty much right as the 1st one ended. The oddball supers would make for a interesting night of GURPS supers. 

Name's Reflux. Medical condition or super power, you decide.

It felt like there was a whole lot left on the cutting room floor, somehow.

The Auld Grump

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Name's Reflux. Medical condition or super power, you decide.

It felt like there was a whole lot left on the cutting room floor, somehow.

The Auld Grump

Yup, the movie was a bit predictable, but I have watched it twice now just to catch the one-liners.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Yup, the movie was a bit predictable, but I have watched it twice now just to catch the one-liners.

Mind you, they were also hearkening back to the Silver Age of comics - when superhero comics were very predictable, or just plain silly. (Thank you, Comics Code. <_<)

The Comics Code is, thankfully, a thing of the past.

I think even Archie has dropped it.

As an aside - there is an R (or at least PG13) rated webcomic out there, in the style of the Archie comics... a few years ago, the artist got a message from one of the lawyers of Archie comics.

Which basically came down to 'You have a great grasp on our style, how would you like to do an issue?'

Praise and a job offer, instead of ordering a takedown. :;,;:

The result was Archie Meets Ramones. ::P:

Ramones_-_poster_grande.png?v=1472920297

The Auld Grump - Menage A 3 is the webcomic.

• Like 8

We are at the kids house for Christmas Celebration.

Daughter and Son -in - Law plus three grandkidlets decided we should go see the new Mary Popin's returns movie.  So after a nice Chinese Dinner we did.

The movie is extremely enjoyable, and they handled the references to the original movie with a light and respectful touch.  The story line is very enjoyable and all the musical and animation sequences are well done.

The animation sequences make subtle references to some of the old Disney animation in a fashion that I found delightful.  I think my favorate scene in the whole movie is the Royal Dalton Music Hall, which includes the penguins tht danced with Mary Poppins and Bert in a whole new musical number.

This one's a keeper and we will definitely be buying it on Blu-Ray.

GEM

Seasonable Greetings

• Like 5

Was going to see Auqaman with Awesome Wife Weds afternoon.  Went to check times and found it was playing at 9:05pm tonight.  We just recently got back.  Loved the movie!  It's my second favorite DC film, falling just a smidge behind Wonder Woman.  Jason Momoa's portrayal is just so fun, and I really like Amber Heard as Mara.  They had a great dynamic.  Some scene were a bit corny but hey, it's a superhero movie after all.

• Like 5

They Shall Not Grow Old’ is the best money I’ve spent on a movie ticket in 2018. Amazing restoration of the footage from WW1. The amount of film flaws they were able to clear up and the modernization of the variable frame rates is incredible on its own but the superb colorization really makes the footage feel more immediate. They also did a great job picking veteran interview audio clips to dub in. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

On 12/23/2018 at 3:27 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

Mind you, they were also hearkening back to the Silver Age of comics - when superhero comics were very predictable, or just plain silly. (Thank you, Comics Code. <_<)

The Comics Code is, thankfully, a thing of the past.

I think even Archie has dropped it.

Funny you should mention that, we saw the new Spiderman film the other day and there was a reference to that in it, and you've just reminded me to look it up, which I shall do now, because I had no idea what it was. 

I really enjoyed the Spiderman film, real light hearted fun and it had a truly great aesthetic.

• Like 3

Recently picked up The Happytime Murders on dvd at the Goodwill...

It was better than I thought it would be - there were a few moments of actual character depth inbetween the over-the-top jokes. I'll probably watch it a few more times.

• Like 3

Saw Aquaman at a family gathering this weekend.

It was considerably better than I had expected: fun, goofy, visually awesome and with some heart. Jason Momoa is appealing as a big lug and Amber Heard is great as the kick-backside princess who is never damseled or undermined, yay!

Wonder Woman remains in my opinion the best of the live action DC superhero films, but this is a solid second.

• Like 8

Hubby and I saw Aquaman yesterday. It was a lot of fun, huge improvement on Justice League. I particularly enjoyed the part where [redacted] and then [redacted], and of course the [redacted]. Was totally awesomesauce ^_^ 

Then we also rented Crazy Rich Asians (free Redbox rental, woo!). It was a sweet story, if more than a little decadent. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Then we also rented Crazy Rich Asians (free Redbox rental, woo!). It was a sweet story, if more than a little decadent. 

A bit like a Fitzgerald novel, but the characters have a hint of morality and don't spend the entire story moaning about how rich they are and how that makes life meaningless. (I really did not like F. Scott Fitzgerald... does it show?)

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Just watched The Force Awakens for the first time since seeing The Last Jedi. Confirmed my thoughts that the latter is a much much weaker film which squandered the opportunities set out by the former.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I went and saw Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse this weekend. Best movie I've seen all year. Stylistically amazing. I could gush for hours about the art. I also loved the way they handled the origins, and the characters were all interesting in their own rights. I was a bit disappointed that they divorced Miles from the Ultimate Universe, but I figure they were always going to. Recommend. 

I've finally gotten to where I can watch The Two Towers and Return of the King without screaming and breaking things, so I may binge all three of the LoTR tonight. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Watched the movie Stardust since several folks recommended it. Fun little popcorn movie.

Edited by Corsair
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1