Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

1 hour ago, Loim said:

I've finally gotten to where I can watch The Two Towers and Return of the King without screaming and breaking things, so I may binge all three of the LoTR tonight

Lol, I still can't stop myself from making snarky comments and disgusted noises if I'm made to watch them.

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 2

I am watching a Soviet-era Czechoslovakian sci fi comedy.

What has happened to my life?!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Pingo said:

I am watching a Soviet-era Czechoslovakian sci fi comedy.

What has happened to my life?!?

Based on a story by Stanislaw Lem? If so, I may have seen it, way, way back in the seventies.

The Auld Grump

34 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Based on a story by Stanislaw Lem? If so, I may have seen it, way, way back in the seventies.

The Auld Grump

Probably not. This one is from 1984 and involves two neighboring families acquiring competing robot grandmothers from a frankly terrifying technology company.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Probably not. This one is from 1984 and involves two neighboring families acquiring competing robot grandmothers from a frankly terrifying technology company.

Nope, I would have to say that isn't it.

Any good?

The Auld Grump - I am pretty sure that the Stanislaw Lem movie was made for TV.

I have pretty much talked myself into talking Megan into watching The Third Man.

The downside? I will never be able to get that danged zither music out of my head.

The Auld Grump - which means that I have to share.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Nope, I would have to say that isn't it.

Any good?

The Auld Grump - I am pretty sure that the Stanislaw Lem movie was made for TV.

I kept expecting the MST3K guys to pop up and start riffing.

It had no musical soundtrack and the pacing was weird. I could see where laughs were supposed to happen.

I think they might have actually harmed animals in the making of this film. :( (That, or someone was unusually good at making very convincing taxidermic models)

On the bright side, the robot grandmothers were genuinely terrifying, and the company that made them a great example of the soulless modern architecture circa. 1984.

Interesting for research, maybe, which is why I watched it. But good? Ummm, no.

• Like 4

I saw “Bumblebee” last night. I did not enjoy it.

OH and I have membership for out local cinema so we pay a small fee per month and can see as many films as we like. I didn’t really want to see it but OH wanted to, so we went anyway and it was exactly what I expected it to be and I was just bored the whole time, there are a couple of funny lines but overall, wouldn’t recommend.

• Like 3

Finally got to watch "Hotel Artemis" on New Years Eve.  It's an interesting movie and I enjoyed it.  I think it didn't really do well because it doesn't really fit into any neat category.  At it's heart it's a movie about family and the choices we make for, and because of them.  I liked it.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Mckenna35 said:

Finally got to watch "Hotel Artemis" on New Years Eve.  It's an interesting movie and I enjoyed it.  I think it didn't really do well because it doesn't really fit into any neat category.  At it's heart it's a movie about family and the choices we make for, and because of them.  I liked it.

I also enjoyed it. Not the best movie I've seen, but everyone involved does a good job and it was an interesting story. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mckenna35 said:

I enjoyed it too, I agree it was a tough film to categorise but I think you've described it pretty well with that.

I was lucky I got to see it actually as I saw 1 trailer at the cinema for it prior to its release- which seemed really unusual, and then there was barely any screenings of it and all were on really late- seemed like whoever does the programme at my local cinema wasn't a fan!

• Like 4

On 12/31/2018 at 4:12 PM, Corsair said:

Watched the movie Stardust since several folks recommended it. Fun little popcorn movie.

I really wanted to like that film, but a lot of the scenes for the mystical land over the wall were filmed near where I grew up. It's great for the areas economy, but it really takes you out of the movie when you know that the characters who are lost are actually walking towards a car park ::D:

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

14 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

I really wanted to like that film, but a lot of the scenes for the mystical land over the wall were filmed near where I grew up. It's great for the areas economy, but it really takes you out of the movie when you know that the characters who are lost are actually walking towards a car park ::D:

I've run into that problem before.  There was this vampire movie shot in Pittsburgh, where I went to college, and of course when filming they don't just start walking around the city.  No, they pick interesting looking buildings and just film in front of those.  So while watching the film you'd recognize the current building, and then they'd go around the corner and they'd be five blocks away, magically.  This must be really hard on people from Vancouver.  (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojm74VGsZBU is an interesting video on how Vancouver never plays itself.)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I get that a lot for any show set in Chicago. “Wait. Where is this chase scene going?”

I had a German friend who could not take the Conan the Barbarian movie seriously because she recognized Arnold Schwarzenegger’s regional accent too precisely.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John Fiala said:

I've run into that problem before.  There was this vampire movie shot in Pittsburgh, where I went to college, and of course when filming they don't just start walking around the city.  No, they pick interesting looking buildings and just film in front of those.  So while watching the film you'd recognize the current building, and then they'd go around the corner and they'd be five blocks away, magically.  This must be really hard on people from Vancouver.  (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojm74VGsZBU is an interesting video on how Vancouver never plays itself.)

Sir Cyr's work building stars in Deadpool 2. He's seen parts of our neighborhood shut down for filming (unknown stuff) while biking to work. Awful lot of stuff is filmed here, somehow even deserts on certain shows look remarkably like the PNW.... hmm. 

• Like 3