Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

10 hours ago, Chrome said:

I really enjoyed Glass. A small part of me wanted it to turn into some Marvel-style slugfest, but I knew that wasn't going to happen and was happy that it didn't. 

Going to see it Friday. Glad to hear you liked it. 

Saw They Shall Never Grow Old today, Peter Jackson’s WWI documentary with restored film and colorized. Really worth the money. Sadly, it was a one day event here. Really should be in wider release.

• Like 3

Finally watched Avengers: Infinity War, I'm only one Marvel movie behind woohoo!

As for the movie itself, felt oddly meh about it.

It wasn't a bad film,  but it just didn't click with me for some reason.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, aku-chan said:

Finally watched Avengers: Infinity War, I'm only one Marvel movie behind woohoo!

Because Thanos is duuuuuuuummmmmbbbbbbbb!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

I'm just curious what Thanos plans to do now that his purpose is complete? Is it now just "Thanos Bueller's Day Off"?

That would be an awesome skit... if it happens, you heard it here first, folks! And I want my 10%.

• Haha 5

On 1/21/2019 at 9:30 PM, Pegazus said:

Saw They Shall Never Grow Old today, Peter Jackson’s WWI documentary with restored film and colorized. Really worth the money. Sadly, it was a one day event here. Really should be in wider release.

It was on one of the cable tv channels back in December, I think. DH and I watched it, and found it very moving.  I'm surprised it hasn't made it to Youtube yet. 

We saw Into the Spiderverse this week.  It was ok. Not what I was expecting. Funny in places. Very hard to watch and follow what was happening in others.  The "out of focus" and "misaligned" coloration effects made my eyes hurt after a while.  I would recommend it for hard core comic book and Spidey fans, I doubt anyone else would care much about the characters or the 'verse, or the story.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Sadly, not just Thanos.

I tend to be fairly good at not thinking too hard about things in these kinds of films, but it just didn't work this time.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, aku-chan said:

Sadly, not just Thanos.

I tend to be fairly good at not thinking too hard about things in these kinds of films, but it just didn't work this time.

Yeah, there was a lot of dumb in that movie. I'd like to attribute it to the lack of the sass master Hawkeye.

• Like 4

In a Lonely Place (1950) Humphry Bogart, Gloria Grahame 

Was on TCM earlier tonight. One of Bogart's best in my opinion and one of the rare occasions where the movie is superior to the book. The book wasn't all that bad, but the changes made definately improved the story. 

The first time I saw it years ago it stuck with me as Dix Steele's more unappealing charcteristics reminded me of myself in my early 20s. Since then having researched a bit more about it and learning of what was going on with Nicolas Ray the director who was married to and about to seperate from Gloria Grahame, added a whole new subtext to this last viewing. Not perhaps the best date movie, but a damn good one. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/26/2019 at 12:45 PM, aku-chan said:

I found that I enjoyed it a lot more the second time around. I think part of what was so odd about it the first time is that there's really no main hero to follow around. Thannos is really the main character so the movie follows him around, but that's not really how we're trained to think of movies. (The villain being the centerpiece.) It honestly kinda reminded me of the old cross-overs from the comics, when the villain would jump from issue to issue.

Also, I watched Fyre on Netfix on Sunday night. I'm not usually one for documentaries, but this was a really good show and a great insight to our current "internet influencer" culture. Google "Fyre Festival" if you're not sure what I'm talking about.

And in a weird coincidence, the next day more news hit about the festival. They're still trying to find out exactly what happened to all of the $26M USD the festival organizer raised from investors, and a federal judge ruled that the super models who were hired to film a promo video can be subpoenaed to testify how much they were paid for the gig. According to the documentary, they paid Kyle Jenner $200,000 (or maybe 250, I can't remember) simply to make 1 tweet about the event on their launch day.

The organizer got 6 years in prison, but I found myself thinking he deserved much, much more. I don't really care about the festival goers who got scammed or the rich investors who threw money at him b/c they're idiots, but he ruined a lot of his employees lives.

Edited by Chrome
  • Like 5

Finally watched The Last Jedi and Solo.  Not too sure on my thoughts regarding Last Jedi, but opinions did change on that one commanding lady person (forgot her name).  Boy did they change, and for the better.  Pity about certain fight sequences though (I'm on mobile, so can't spoiler easily) 

As for Solo.... It was okay...? Hard to put thoughts together on that one, and not just because it's 3am and I should have been asleep like three hours ago... 

• Like 2

Hubby and I have tickets to see Into the Spiderverse today. Looking forward to that foot long theater hotdog :ik_oops: and the movie too :lol:

• Like 1

Saw Solo and Incredibles 2. Incredibles 2 was enjoyable, but seemed like it could have been edited down in length.

I enjoyed Solo. I haven’t seen the new Star Wars “proper” movies, but so far I have enjoyed both of the stand alone movies better than the original 6 Star Wars movies (yeah, I’m a nerd heretic:poke:).

• Like 2

We went to On the Basis of Sex this week.  I liked it but wish it had been more in depth.  RBG has had such an incredible life, and this movie only covers a few years early in her career.  It left me wanting more.  The acting was good in most places, flat in a few spots. I felt the ending was a little underwhelming.   See it before it is gone, it won't be in theaters long. It may be a better home movie, there's nothing awesome about it that should be seen on the big screen. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It is hard to believe my go to movie genre growing up was westerns / SciFi* and I had never seen High Noon. Just saw it today and I’d say it holds up. I can see how several of the concepts were requisitioned in other movies. This was a great recovery from watching Hotel Transylvania 3 with the family earlier in the day. I lost interest fairly soon. I never saw the first two and am definately in no hurry to change that. 

*IMHO the best fantasy movies were pretty mediocre at best until LOTR came out. 

• Like 1

Holy crap, into the Spiderverse was amazing! The animation was so good! I cried several times (thank you pregnancy hormones :lol: ).

• Like 6