Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

I watched the original 1960 Magnificent Seven yesterday for the first time. The acting was top notch, but whoever came up with the script was not familiar with a thing called logic. Eli Wallach's character, the bandit warlord is supposed to be the villian of the piece, yet here he is making logical statements, following a Geneva Convention like format once he gets the drop on the seven...and he keeps his word! Considering he's leading a group of starving and broke bandits, his ability to keep them under any form of discipline was amazing in and of itself.

The villagers I find myself after a certain point completely unable to have any sympathy for. They hire men to do a job then stab them in the back when things get real, (what, did they expect Eli to retreat permenantly once the first skirmish was done? It does not work like that, his own men will kill him if he did), and rather then follow the logical course of, "hey these villagers are backstabbing pieces of **** who don't appreciate our willingness to die in their cause, and the "evil" bandit has acted honestly and honorably towards us, so screw these guys, let's go home.", the seven decide "hey, lets get ourselves killed for people who've betrayed us once already."

I shake my head at this.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The Magnificent Seven is based pretty closely on the Seven Samurai, and I think what you are pointing out as illogical makes more sense in a Japanese samurai setting.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Citrine said:

The Magnificent Seven is based pretty closely on the Seven Samurai, and I think what you are pointing out as illogical makes more sense in a Japanese samurai setting.

It does. The gunslinger/cowboy comparison to the samurai doesn't really seem to hold up once the superficial levels are passed. Although Fistful of Dollars (1964) was a fairly good rendering of Kurosawa's Yojimbo. (It should have been considering it was pretty much an unauthorized remake that got Leone sued by Toho.) 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

It does. The gunslinger/cowboy comparison to the samurai doesn't really seem to hold up once the superficial levels are passed. Although Fistful of Dollars (1964) was a fairly good rendering of Kurosawa's Yojimbo. (It should have been considering it was pretty much an unauthorized remake that got Leone sued by Toho.) 

And Akira Kurosawa also didn't hide the fact that Yojimbo's setting was inspired by Westerns itself.

First time I saw Yojimbo, I couldn't help but feel how much the village and environment felt like one from the Old' West.

• Like 3

Watched The Incredibles II.....  Definitely not certain what to make of it.

Mild spoiler contained within spoiler

Spoiler

Only thing I can say for sure is my thoughts are because... My favourite moment was the fight Jack Jack was in....  With the bandit.

• Like 4

Saw Alita last night. Took some liberties with the source material* that I wouldn't have, but built a good story around it. Action sequences were super fun to watch! The movie is also very aware of the artwork of the manga, and captures a lot of the feel of Iron City, plus pays homage to some of the iconic splash pages. We had a good time!

*My biggest adaptation-to-screenplay complaint is that they condensed about 20 "episodes" of the manga, covering about four major arcs, into one narrative. This condensed all of the storytelling and made certain things seem too easy. They also did a mild genre-shift from gritty cyberpunk to crapsack-world YA fiction. Not enough to lose the grit, but enough to "gain a wider appeal." There was still a moment of non-robot dismemberment that made the eight-year-old in the audience cry in fright, so it wasn't too sanitised.

• Like 4

As part of my post-anesthesia DVD watching, I watched Tron Legacy yesterday.  This is the first time I'd seen it since it came out in theaters.

I'm not certain why I waited so long to rewatch it.  It is, to me, a really fun movie and possibly better than Tron, which is one of my favorite movies of all time (mostly for irrational reasons).  Tron Legacy is not a "great" movie but it's a fun movie to watch and eat popcorn to.  (Or would be, if I were allowed to eat popcorn right now.)

I still love the soundtrack.  Now I wish I'd bought the art book for the movie when it came out.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

As part of my post-anesthesia DVD watching, I watched Tron Legacy yesterday.  This is the first time I'd seen it since it came out in theaters.

I'm not certain why I waited so long to rewatch it.  It is, to me, a really fun movie and possibly better than Tron, which is one of my favorite movies of all time (mostly for irrational reasons).  Tron Legacy is not a "great" movie but it's a fun movie to watch and eat popcorn to.  (Or would be, if I were allowed to eat popcorn right now.)

I still love the soundtrack.  Now I wish I'd bought the art book for the movie when it came out.

I listen to the soundtrack regularly... So good...

• Like 4

Awesome Wife and I watched Polar last night.  It's about an assassin about to retire.  The company that he works for decides to off him so they dont have to pay out his retirement.  While it was no John Wick, it was still enjoyable.  The CEO was physically as well as morally repulsive, and torture scene seemed a bit excessive, but there were some twists that kept me entertained.

• Like 4

Got to see Aquaman last night. It was pretty, but also predictable, trope laden, and badly paced.  At the start it felt like the story was moving way too quickly, and then later there are sequences where major plot events happen in about 30 seconds.  There's no character development in any of the characters, they're all thin as paper.  Also the writers missed lots of opportunity to show human pathos,  especially since the main character is supposedly trying to save the surface world. 

As I said, the visuals are pretty, there's lots of special effects, the soundtrack is even decent. If you're looking for entertainment and  2 hours of popcorn eating, you could do worse. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Amusingly, watched Small Foot last night - my daughter (7) had wanted to rent it from a redbox, and we finally got around to seeing it.  I wasn't really _watching_ it, mind, but I paid it half a mind while it went down.  Although it wasn't terribly original, it seemed well acted and less cutesy than I'd expected it to be.  I'm not upset that we rented it.

Looks like we're going to go see the Wreckit Ralph sequel this weekend with friends.  Daughter has already seen it once, but I haven't seen it and look forward to it.  Also, daughter is being taken to see a stage production of Xanadu, so I'm going to have some spare time to go see Alita myself.  Woo!  Two movies in one weekend, it's like being on vacation. :)

That said, my daughter's going out east to visit family at the end of March, and I'm looking forward to splurging on movies, both in theaters and on disk.  Sure, I can watch when she gets to sleep in theory, but often I'm just too tired to bother.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Crowley said:

I listen to the soundtrack regularly... So good...

When we saw the movie in the theater, during that club scene, I turned to hubby and excitedly said "it's daft punk!" He had no idea who daft punk was :lol: he got me the soundtrack and the movie for Christmas that year. 

Loves me some daft punk.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, John Fiala said:

Looks like we're going to go see the Wreckit Ralph sequel this weekend with friends.  Daughter has already seen it once, but I haven't seen it and look forward to it.  Also, daughter is being taken to see a stage production of Xanadu, so I'm going to have some spare time to go see Alita myself.  Woo!  Two movies in one weekend, it's like being on vacation. :)

Ralph Breaks the Internet is pretty fun. There's a lot of hate out there for how much of a commercial it is for Disney, but I feel like they did a nice job winking at it. And, much like the first one, I appreciate that it's a movie about friendships rather than romances. I dig it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1