Talae

Movies - Recently Watched or Plan to Watch Soon

2237 posts in this topic

Watched Nightmare before Christmas (for the first time actually) the other day. My vote is it needs to be shown on American Thanksgiving, as it can't decide for sure if it is a Halloween movie or a Christmas movie, so stick it between. Also, drove niece and nephew crazy 'singing'  "what's this, what's this" or some variation of for, well, everything

Most of us crazy Americans watch it during both seasons.

2 people like this

I watched snippets of something called "Igor" yesterday. I watched it because I was suffering insomnia, because it was on, and because it wouldn't go away.

I only saw a few scenes—no idea how it ended.

Edited by TGP

I watched snippets of something called "Igor" yesterday. I watched it because I was suffering insomnia, because it was on, and because it wouldn't go away.

For some strange reason, I find your statement hilarious.

1 person likes this

For some strange reason, I find your statement hilarious.

It was a bizarre animated deal that was probably intended to be hilarious. My humor sensing sub-routine was reporting back nothing but error codes so .... :huh: IDK.

1 person likes this

In the past two weeks I have watched:

Galaxy Quest

Open Range

The Quick and the Dead (remake)

Pale Rider

Silverado

Iron Giant

Bull Durham

Puss in Boots

The Replacement Killers

Why? Because I put movies on when I'm painting or doing any of my other hobby activities and I only need to listen to these movies now (well except for Iron Giant, that's new for me since I found it in the $5 bin at Walmart.

1 person likes this

We watched The Fly (1986) last night. My wife does not like scary movies, so hated me for having her watch it. I remembered the acting and dialogue being better than it was.

We also watched Elf with the kids before that for probably the twelfth time this season. 

The only two movies I've watched in the past couple of weeks are Rocky Horror and Repo: The Genetic Opera.

Out now or coming out this week that I want to see:

Hobbit Part MCMMXVIII or whatever it is now, I lose track.

Into the Woods  My wife and I love the broadway play, sad as it is.

Annie  Another musical my wife and I enjoy, and I'm excited to see the story retold to not be about depression-era characters I really don't care much about.  I honestly never cared about Daddy Warbucks, but I expect to Jamie Foxx's mayor character to be likable and more relevant to me.

I have been told I might enjoy Interstellar.

Otherwise I've been watching a lot of my MST3K collection, and Sharknado 2 is on Netflix...

1 person likes this

Ended up not watching wolf of wall street but some Chinese martial art film on YouTube called treasure inn. 6/10. Some fun characters but stupid overall.

Let's see... We've watched Elf, Muppet Christmas Carol, and in the next few days will be watching lots, and lots, and lots of A Christmas Story.

On Saturday I plan on seeing Into the Woods with my dad.

At some point I want to watch Frozen again... it's not a Christmas movie, but there's snow in it. ^_^

I recently watched The Shipping News. It's got Kevin Spacey, Julianne Moore and Dame Judi Dench as a bunch of Newfoundlanders (well, Spacey isn't so much native Newfie) and Cate Blanchett as a Jersey Shore reject. And a nice little script. It's been a while since I enjoyed a random movie so much.

That movie is positively scandalous here. I don't even remember why. But I do know that mentioning it is an excellent way to get rode out on a rail. I haven't seen it because I don't want anybody to find out I did such a thing and exile me. No idea why it's so provacative but you'd get less of a reaction if you were caught french-kissing Hitler.

I imagine because it isn't particularly kind to the idiosyncrasies of Newfoundland culture. The basic gist is that Spacey's family is from there, but he was born in the US and has never been to his ancestral home. Things happen and he goes to live in his family's old house. The Newfoundland town is full of hilarious bumpkins, manipulative kings-of-town and destructive drunken morons. They're all ultimately pretty cuddly characters, but I could imagine it wouldn't be all that endearing to the people it purports to hold a mirror to.

I risked exile and watched it. Now I see - it doesn't paint everyone like saints, which is practically a capital offense around here. But I can tell you it's a painfully accurate depiction. Even the Quoyle ghosts in the attic, there's a fair helping of dark in my dad's side.

Also that cove is what 99% of the whole place looks like. You see now why I've never seen a beach with sand.

Anyway, my verdict is that we need to get over ourselves - which is long overdue anyhow.

Heh. It's one of the interesting things about Pittsburgh...natives are simply bursting at the seams with civic pride*, and don't you ever insult the city to their face, but they're actually pretty self-aware when it comes to the grating qualities of Pittsburgher culture. If Shipping News were about the 'Burgh, folks here would be upset if it didn't reveal some unsavory qualities.

Thanks for the insider's perspective on the movie; I won't tell anyone you watched it. ;)

*and non-natives...go find my treatise on Pittsburgh in the "getting to know each other" thread for November if you care for an example.

1 person likes this

Lets see:

Santa claus 2

Fed Claus

Lego Movie

Hobbit: the Five Armies

47 Ronin

Grudge Match

Tomorrow Never Dies

Arthur Christmas: wasn't bad for what it is.

Paranormal Activity: wasn't that into it. After always hearing how great it is, was disappointed.

Dark Shadows: not nearly as unwatchable as I thought it'd be. Depp turned in a solid enough performance. Eva Green totally makes me swoon. Michelle Pfeiffer has held up just great. This is one, though, that makes me wonder what it'd be like if Tim Burton actually appeared to give a crap, anymore.

Recently Watched:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - not a good movie, made me miss vanilla ice's ninja rap

The Hobbit: Battle of Five Armies

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Watching soon:

Guardians of the Galaxy - My wife and I are watching this Xmas eve after having dinner with my family.  We will need to unwind  ::P:

Interstellar - if we can catch it in the theater

Gremlins - theater is showing this at the end of the month.  Our car is named after Gizmo so we have to see it

5 people like this