Decided to start on my Counterblast! figs in the new year, and I know there are some others on the forums here that were in on that kickstarter, so figured I'd start and open topic.

I went in for the Ultonium level and got one of each starter set.

post-8239-0-29398000-1420159274_thumb.jpg

That's a good sized pile o' figs....

I'm planning to start with the Mekkus.  Let's open those bags and take a look.

post-8239-0-49291000-1420159354_thumb.jpg

Ummmm, hmmm.   I need to go sort out what belongs with what I think....

• Like 10

I'll be over here being jealous. Wanted to get in on that one, love the retro feel and looking forward to seeing some painted!

• Like 1

Hmm, had thought I'd posted the picture of the Defender #1 after I sorted out which bits were for it and primed it.

Ah well, here's the pic.

post-8239-0-43734900-1420600741_thumb.jpg

I plan to paint the Mekkus at home, so it'll be getting some attention once my D&D Gnome is finished.

And I've decided I'd do the Lancers at work (since most of them are single piece figures) after I finish Balto.  I've got the first two primed and ready to go as soon as I decide on some colours.

post-8239-0-02429300-1420600745.jpg

These guys should be a blast to paint!

• Like 7

Hmmm, not sure what happened the other day.  My post of the Defender vanished (or never posted, could have been my internet I guess).

But I'd also posted a pic of my first "finished" figure of 2015.  Of course all I had to do was base him (and I did a very quick simple one), the rest was painted last year some time.

Anyway, here he is.

post-8239-0-86786800-1420688596.jpgpost-8239-0-18605700-1420688595.jpg

BdE bot.

• Like 6

Started some base coating on the Lancers today while waiting for washes to dry on Balto.

post-8239-0-03237400-1421100088.jpg

Trying out some colours.  Kind of want to do olive as a colour to tie them all together.  Going for the classic bomber jacket for this guy.  And since he's a low level mook, wen't for the red shirt....

Skin is starting with pumpkin orange, which I keep using for everything...

post-8239-0-15788100-1421100090.jpg

This guy (isn't he an awesome fig?) just got a bit of colour where it was already going on the the Illyrian.

Thoughts?

• Like 7

Did a little more on Friday, mostly on the the plugger's eye.  Think the shape is close, but not sure about the colour,,,,

post-8239-0-81359600-1421631462.jpgpost-8239-0-88700300-1421631460.jpg

Tried out a basecoat on the Lanceguard's skin.  

post-8239-0-05645200-1421631459.jpgpost-8239-0-68713900-1421631456.jpg

Think I need to go with a bluer grey...

• Like 7

not buying the eye at all.  You might try making it a tad smaller so you can see more white around it.  It might just be the perspective of the camera though. 

Take 5 trying to post (frickin internet service).

post-8239-0-17363800-1421809933.jpgpost-8239-0-30552200-1421809932.jpg

Eye has more fine tuning, skin is done-ish.  Shirt has some highlighting, but it doesn't seem to have done much.

The rest is just basecoats, although they are more even now.

• Like 7

I really need to break out my Counterblast figures. I've got some super ideas for the ones with the bubble helmets. Also... did you guys know that Patrick Keith is working on some 15mm scale stuff? Even tinier stuff to make my eyes cross trying to paint!

• Like 1

Oh dear, 15 mm?  A new line?  Game?

More work on the Illyrian today (still haven't picked out new greys for the Lanceguard).

post-8239-0-15729400-1421976451.jpgpost-8239-0-89309200-1421976445.jpgpost-8239-0-81244300-1421976442.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how he's coming along.  R-touched up the eye, did a wash and highlights on the olive, did highlights on the black, and did a wash on the jacket.

Still need to highlight the jacket, do the metal bits on his knees and boots )and belt buckle, and then do the gun.  And of course the base, I'll keep simple since it's a gaming piece.

• Like 6

Hey Jasper, I am thinking since yesterday... with that huge an eye, why not be brave and use a thin wash to shade it like an actual ball (along the lower lip, I mean)?

I think it would help it be more 3D and less flat, for such a focal point of the mini. I would use a very dilluted desaturated red...

• Like 1

Hmmm, I may try that for the next one (I have a few Illyrians) but I want to get this guy finished up on Friday (which is the next chance I'll have to paint).  I don't want to try something like that with him this close to finished in case I create too much work to do messing it up.

I did try the little reflection dot today, does it look to be in about the right spot?

post-8239-0-50066300-1422492234.jpgpost-8239-0-11085200-1422492229.jpgpost-8239-0-68626800-1422492223.jpg

I also highlighted the jacket and worked on the gun.  I like most of it, but want to change the bright green side bits.  I'm thinking maybe diagonal strips as if it was showing the power level, or something like that.  Otherwise maybe a metal accent there,  

Thoughts?

• Like 7

The white spot looks right to me.

For the green on the gun, do you have a light, bright neon-like green? I am thinking diagonal solid line on that green, if the color is brighter enough, would give it kinda a glow. Alternatively, if you have a green ink, white lines and a green ink wash!

• Like 1

Started feeling kind of crappy yesterday, so I did a little work on the Illyrian and brought him home with me last night.

post-8239-0-05537000-1422638980.jpgpost-8239-0-33608600-1422638973.jpg

Went with something fairly simple with the gun, as I had a bit of a headache.

I got most of the simple basing done last night, with just a quick drybrush left to do.

Seems it was for the best as I woke up with a fever this morning (my wife's been sick for two days now, so not overly surprising).

I did a few finishing touches once the Tylenol kicked in and he's been posted to show-off now, along with the BdE Bot I finished a bit ago.

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Dan d'Lyon
      Can't believe I missed this one until now.  I didn't have a printer during their previous projects, but I'm definitely in on this one.  Less than 48 hours to go.  Link added.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2nddynasty/starship-iii-fully-3d-printable-28mm-spaceships?ref=user_menu

Seek adventure amongst the stars! Explore strange new worlds, smuggle illicit cargos across the hyperspace lanes or launch a space to ground assault, in your Scout Ship, Transport, or Space Shuttle!
      Somewhere in the outer reaches... Starship III introduces three original, fully 3D-printable spaceships scaled for 28mm play in your favourite Tabletop RPGs or Wargames. Complete with OpenLOCK-compatible modular interiors, the ships are detailed inside and out and a variety of configurations can be used to customise the deck plans.
      Each ship comes detailed inside and out (Scout ship standard interior shown here) As the campaign unfolds, new starship hull variants and modules will be unlocked as stretch goals to bring even more variety to your game and increase the pledge value for everyone.
      Each pledge is designed to be printed on your own 3D printer or via a print service, allowing you to print as many parts as you like, for non-commercial use. Deliverable files will be made available digitally in STL zip packs via DriveThruRPG.com (see Printing Requirements details below for print bed size requirements)
      Hangar 01: Space Shuttle Alpha Need a way to get your units from the ground to orbit? This space shuttle is fully modular and can be configured as a dropship, cargo shuttle, or even a small starship. The stock standard aerodynamic fuselage comes complete with manoeuvring thrusters, sensors, landing gear and articulated main thrusters for VTOL operations.
      The standard layout below is included in any pledges that include the shuttle Modular standard deck plan of shuttle interior. Hangar 02: Scout Ship Beta Explore deep space and final frontiers with this full 28mm scale scout ship, designed stock-standard for long haul endurance scout missions. Includes two manned turrets for defending in rough territory, a full sensor suite package for scanning new systems, a well equipped engineering section, cargo hold, living quarters and a 5-station forward bridge.
      These are the unique parts that compose the scout ship interior, which come as a part of any scout ship pledge Closeup of the Engineering Standard Deck Plan for the Scout Ship Beta Hangar 03: Transport Delta Cruise the hyperspace lanes in this high-speed transport. Haul cargo - legal or illicit - with two massive engines to get you from point A to point B. Manoeuvre with the fluidity of repulsor technology and defend yourself with manned or unmanned turrets and a powerful shield generator.

• By Rigel
      Made up my mind long ago that I should paint A CIRCUS. I've had 50124 (Merlock the Magnificent) and 50125 (Yvette, Magician's Assistant) for a while, and also one of the Killer Clowns (50247, Zonkers). And then I found a sheet of red-and-white Big Top striped paper, and a few other things from other sources, and The Addiction set in. 

Here's what I've got so far: 

Sarastro the Mentalist there is from Black Cat, and the lady in the Romany garb is a Nolzur's dancer that comes with the barmaid. The orb was from Nolzur's Wizard's study set dressing, and you've already met Cole Stoker, the Pulp Minis stevedore. (Every circus needs roustabouts, especially ones with shovels.) 

BUT IT WASN'T ENOUGH. IT WOULD NEVER BE ENOUGH.

A circus needs:
      -a ringmaster (50277)
      -MORE CLOWNS (02216, Kosmo)
      -a sinister knife-thrower (50012, Jack the Ripper)
      -acrobats (50169, Lady Tiger--there weren't any acrobats under the Circus tag, but if you want spandex and eye-catching costumes, you go Superheroes)
      -fire-eaters/daredevils (50196, Devil Girl; she would also work in a Weird West game)
      -animal tamers (coulda used a pith-helmeted pulp explorer, but 50041 has a whip and a sweet costume)
      -a strongman (50273, Herq)

And I also picked up 50121, Dr. VooDoo, because top hat, theatrics, and magic fit in well with the themes I've got. 

Had some wooden discs for targets (the half-assed paint job is on purpose, such as an underpaid clown might slap on with a very wide brush). I'll also make some cotton candy and fried food stalls, inspired by this: http://carmensminiaturepainting.blogspot.com/2007/04/how-i-made-hotdog-stand-for-my-pulp.html 

Decided to make Zonkers the "friendly" clown and Kosmo the "horrifying Grimaldi/Pagliacci" clown. My order arrived with a sample of deep midnight/cobalt blue that was perfect. 

So far, this is ArmyPainter True Red, that reaper-sample blue, white, and black. Devil Girl is also done in Reaper's Cinnamon Red (my go-to for tieflings.)

The Plan (advice and C&C welcome):
      Jack, I think, will be grey pinstripes, including the top hat, the top of which is a target. 
      Firefox the Animal Tamer: Brown whip, redhead, pale skin, fox-orange costume
      Lady Tiger: I would give her tiger stripes, but don't want to step on the orange territory too much, so yellow cheetah/leopard pattern perhaps?
      Ringmaster: Seeking advice on the trousers. White? Pale khaki? YELLOW? Stripe down the side, of course.
      Dr. VooDoo: Straightforward brown skin, yellowed grass skirt, going to try to paint skull-and-ribcage makeup on him
      Kosmo: that lollipop. Advice welcome. Rainbow, heavy on yellow? Peppermint? Continue his terrifying color scheme? 
      Herq: I feel like he needs horizontal stripes on the tank top. Red or blue? 
      Devil Girl: Also torn. I don't want that duster to be black (thinking probably tan, for the Hellboy resonance?) but that bustier is what's perplexing me.

Come with me on this journey into calliope-sounding, popcorn-scented MADNESS! 

• By Jasper_the_2nd
      Just noticed this KS was posted here. Only 53 hours left....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wowbuildings/wowbuildings-further-space-adventures-3d-print-stl/description

Here we are folks, WOWBuildings is expanding further into space, with the infrastructure now for several types of scenarios, this KS will be a mix of vehicles and Buildings so you will have an even bigger range of choices for your tabletops. all will come in STL format and cuts will be made where needed so boot up those 3D printers once again and jump on board for what hopefully will be a great sack full of goodies to enjoy.
      I am adding a couple of special adds that are for personal print use only as a little treat for you top end backers, all files will be initially 28mm scaled (but slightly over scaled to allow for GW sized figures) and optimized for 15-32mm scales so hopefully something for all.
      Again human based faction designs for this KS with other races in the pipeline if all goes well, so hello again and as usual keep the feedback coming and if you want anything specific added then just ask, if it can be done it will be so
      Stretch Goals as you see will start at £1000, and £500, but this time i am toying with adding some £250 jump points too here and there to add to the fun.
      I have tried to keep the pledge level prices as low as i can as well including the licence which is an absolute bargain price for this KS as a thank you for continued support and to help with those after Xmas blues.
      £10 Road Builder
      £30 Asteroid Miner
      £40 Planet Settler
    • By Rigel
      More pulp-era sailors, from Pulp Figures this time! These guys are all from the Tramp Steamer Sailors 2 set in Murch's Savage Seas line--except for Oleg the Brute, who comes from the Pulp Heroes and Personalities: Trans-Siberian Renegades set. These are all 28-mm or so, smaller than most Reaper minis--but that means more weight available for their valuable, perhaps contraband cargo.

Here's First Mate Bombay Joe, always ready for any development; and Salty Nils the Sour Swede. (Nils got a bad priming job which gives him a bit of a skin condition.) Marvelous expressions in these faces--stern attention to duty and envious disgruntlement. 

Here's rowdy crewmen "Red" Mulvaney and Oleg the Brute: 

And Cole P. Stoker and Captain Vanderdecken. 

This crew can get you to Skull Island and back...for the right price, of course! 
    • By Rigel
      Julie Guthrie knows how to sculpt 'em! I love the twisted locks of hair on this lady, who meets the decency standards of the forum by fractions of a millimeter.

And while we're on a kick of well-built tropical adventurers with a healthy disdain for pants, here's Todd Harris's Jaatu. An excellent sculpt in the grand Imaro fashion, with dragon/crocodile armor and an axe that you KNOW does more than just hack at things. Axes with faces are not to be trifled with. 

Both of these are perfect for the Chultan-set Tomb of Annihiliation,  which I'm running currently. 
  • Who's Online   41 Members, 3 Anonymous, 95 Guests (See full list)