ub3r_n3rd

[GROUP/OPEN] DSM WIPs - Stephanie Law Masterworks

With most everyone having received or receiving in the next few days, I'd like to open up a thread for EVERYONE in a Group/Open WIP thread.

Although I won't be doing mine until after the current projects are off my desk with time constraints, I can see quite a few of us really wanting to paint these up.

This is open to EVERYONE and ALL the new DSM Stephanie Law Masterworks figures. Feel free to post up your WIP here and most importantly... HAVE FUN!!

P.S. Let us keep chatter to a minimum and only about these figures.

• Like 5

I'm still preping Thalia. Last night I cleaned the flash and vents. I also filed some of the mold lines. There is a mold line that runs up her side just to the right of the ribbon stitches on her left side.

10850307_369679789867933_399155763519338

It's really difficult to see the mold line but I know it's there. I have some scalpel blades on order. When they arrive I'll see about cleaning up that mold line.  That same mold line also runs down the mask and I fear that my cleaning attempt may have destroyed the detail there. So I may be cutting the mask off entirely and sculpting a new one closer to the original artwork concept. The mold lines on the rest of the figure are tiny and easy to remove. But that one side of the mold must have been deformed a bit.

I am also looking at cutting off the eyelids. DKS recommends it in his expressive faces class. That will need to wait on scalpel blades. In the mean time I may sculpt the theater mask tonight.

• Like 14

I might be talked into posting some pics in here so as to feed the egos of the other painters.  Well assuming that I don't go blind just looking for the mold lines that is.

But in return I'd have to ask people to name names when it comes to colors so I cans steal ideas without so much work.

• Like 5

So preparation is important and so is having the right tools for the job.  In this case this:

post-12951-0-11759000-1420853350.jpg

A rye old fashioned.  Cut an orange into rounds about 1/2" thick.  quarter those rounds put two quarters in a glass and reserve the rest.  Add the right amount of sugar ~1-2 teaspoons.  Then a dash of aromatic bitters.  Angustura is fine but there are better out there.  Mash the oranges being careful not to mash the pith, just the fruit.  Then tilt the glass around to cover the sides in sugar.  Add Ice, you don't want it to be full but you want it to last the drink.  Put in a shot of good rye.  I'm going to plug Rittenhouse here.  It is cheap, relatively unknown and really outstanding.  also 100 proof so it adds some punch.  Stir with spoon, garnish with cherry.  

Then pick up your mini:

post-12951-0-63297800-1420853652.jpg

This is where I left her last night.  her skin goobered up a bit in places but I can fix that with some glazes of matte medium and a quick glaze of the skin tone.  I'm going to continue refining her skin and slowly add in some shadows tonight.

• Like 17

I might be talked into posting some pics in here so as to feed the egos of the other painters.

Participation, posting pics, sharing ideas, asking questions; that's what this place is all about.

If someone doesn't post some info you're interested in, ask. I've yet to find anyone who won't share the process, from the complete beginner to the best painters in the world.

• Like 5

so, I'm quitting for the night, her skin is mostly done and I've started messing with her hair.  this is the best face I have ever done. easily.

post-12951-0-47853500-1420864068.jpg

• Like 19

Thalia is tricky..  She has the tinest tab oat the bottom of her feet to insert into the base. I wasn't sure how I was going to secure the figure for painting. I ended up drilling out a hole in the tab and glueing a paperclip into it. after that I wrapped a little green stuff around the tab and paperclip to give it a little more heft. The arm needs to be glued in. I did that but there was a bit of a gap, so GS gap filling is done. Now it all needs time to setup.

thalia_01.JPG

thalia_02.JPG

• Like 13

Incredible Stuff !!!!

Looks like 2015 took off with a Blast Of Energy and Creativity !

Looks at all of this Great Stuff going on !

• Like 2

Dontfear her face is beautiful. Can't wait to see how her blonde hair turns out. I may just have to prep one of these myself and join in the fun.

• Like 2

*sigh*  So I looked over the box for 2 days and finally decided that despite a HUGE case of the heebies on this girl after seeing what Jessica Rich did to her, she was still my favorite of the bunch to work on.  I may have to follow DontFear step 1 to get anything done on her.  Name is Mab according to JR's FB page.

Edited by Matbar
  • Like 4