Sign in to follow this  
Maredudd

Paint for Factions

Mallus; check Amazon. They have some great starter kits (compressor, regulator, hose, airbrush, eyc...) from a company called Master Airbrush. My first airbrush was from them and I still use it. great quality for the price. I'm not sure of the policty here about linking to 'sell sites' so I will just post a pic and you can search amazon for it.

Papabees; it's pretty simple really. Not unlike OSL with a brush. Lay down your base color in an even coat over the whole mini. Change to your intermediate color and hit all the areas that would be brighter then follow it up with your highlight color on just the sharpest edges. Give it a wash and once dry go back and highlight with the highlight color on just the sharpest edges. Accent colors and such will still have to be done with a traditional brush but it saves a heck of a lot of time and you can get some pretty stunning results if your color choice is right. Note: I have had excellent luck doing this with the reaper triad series paints.

-Gunz

51wnckdg-AL._SY355_.jpg

Edited by Mastergunz
  • Like 1

You are correct that we aren't allowed to link directly with sale sites here, but we are allowed to put name and model number, etc. to make Googling easier

Also, start picking up the magazine Fine Scale Modeler. The things they teach there hold true for minis and there are always good air-brushing tips and techniques.

• Like 1

How do those master airbrushes compare to a badger or paasche?

No idea about Badger or Paasche as my only other experience is with Iwata. However, using that as a comparison I can honestly say I see little difference in the 2. It's buying a 'name brand' for me. Like when people swear up and down Kolynski 7's are the best brushes around...in my personal experience I get as good and sometimes better results with cheaper brushes like 'artists touch' or 'Loew and Cornell'. I just don't worry about damaging them as I know I can go buy another one for a few bucks. In the end I really believe it comes down to ones personal ability and skill more so than the "quality" of equipment.

As CAVBOSS said, there are tons of hobby magazines for scale modelers that are veritable treasure troves of information about AB techniques. I just read an article about using chipping medium through an AB to get a random worn paint pattern....

-Gunz

• Like 2

Mallus; check Amazon. They have some great starter kits (compressor, regulator, hose, airbrush, eyc...) from a company called Master Airbrush. My first airbrush was from them and I still use it. great quality for the price. I'm not sure of the policty here about linking to 'sell sites' so I will just post a pic and you can search amazon for it.

Papabees; it's pretty simple really. Not unlike OSL with a brush. Lay down your base color in an even coat over the whole mini. Change to your intermediate color and hit all the areas that would be brighter then follow it up with your highlight color on just the sharpest edges. Give it a wash and once dry go back and highlight with the highlight color on just the sharpest edges. Accent colors and such will still have to be done with a traditional brush but it saves a heck of a lot of time and you can get some pretty stunning results if your color choice is right. Note: I have had excellent luck doing this with the reaper triad series paints.

-Gunz

51wnckdg-AL._SY355_.jpg

What mix do you use to thin the MSP from Reaper?

I like Wicked Colors W100 reducer by Createx but i have also used a 'Les Bursley homebrew formula' of Liquitex Matte Medium, Liquitex Flow Improver, and Distilled Water.

If you guys want to see some AB magic youtube Les Bursley or AwesomePaintJob.com

-Gunz

• Like 1

Just came across this last night and after reading several very favorable reviews I think i'm going to order one and see if it works well as a mobile unit for conventions and such. Thought you guys who are on the fence about getting an AB would be interested.

http://www.amazon.com/PointZero-Multi-purpose-Dual-action-Airbrush-Set/dp/B004KNDR08/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1426176533&sr=8-10&keywords=pointzero+airbrush

-Gunz

I started a red Rach Dictator but after starting I wasn't happy with how it was coming out so I set it aside. I haven't painted since and last night I looked at my desk and realized that it actually looked pretty good. Now I'm ready to finish the details on it.

Look forward to seeing it! :D

-Gunz

Here's a sneak peek of it. I finally finished most of the details (this pic is before that was done) I just need to finish the base...

0317151755_zpsk0yfquxl.jpg

0317151755b_zps105zrp2d.jpg

• Like 5

Hey guys, got some 6mm out of my system for Onslaught miniatures and returned to the BSR goodness, lol. Having a bit of fun trying new schemes out and decided on this one for the Malvernian Razor CAV based off the CAV: Strike Operations​ card. The book/card scheme had only the orange fade to green so I decided to spice it up and add tiger stripes ala the Acturan Guards. Note: This is the metal version of the mini. Enjoy!

-Gunz

MastergunzCAVMalvernisRazor1_zpsywwxck1b

MastergunzCAVMalvernisRazor2_zpsqqusghqd

MastergunzCAVMalvernisRazor3_zpsey6hwu8j

• Like 4