Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pingo

"Shakespeare Summarized" kid tackles classics of world mythology & literature

135 posts in this topic

She really seems motivated to crank them out fast as summer vacation is ending (her university starts and ends its school year considerably later than most).

These two are the first two "Trope Talks", which are more like podcasts about the aspects of storytelling than her other videos (the second one includes a lot of her unhappiness with "Batman V. Superman").

Trope Talk: Beginnings!

Trope Talk: Realism

You know I always love her videos, but yeah, that one on Realism might be my new favourite. ::): 

1 person likes this

Just got a guy at the office hooked by watching the realism video. He's a huge comic fan so that helped. After I showed him Beowulf, he said he's gonna binge the rest of them tonight.

4 people like this

By popular request (of teachers, mostly), she has redubbed a "No Swears" clean version of "Beowulf":

CLEAN Classics Summarized: Beowulf

It's been up one day and it already has a thousand views. :ik_oops:

4 people like this

Funny you should mention that. I was just talking up her channel to my daughter's English teacher. (she happens to be an Of Mice and Men fan).

3 people like this

Oh yes. Make her watch Red's rant on Of Mice and Men (it's too much to call it a review, but damn is it awesome)

2 people like this

New videos at quite a clip, and I've fallen a bit behind.  All are worth watching!:

Trope Talk:  Write What You Know

Shakespeare Summarized: Titus Andronicus  :zombie: :zombie:  :zombie:  (By request.  It's a yucky one. "Content warning: this video needed a counter for deaths AND a counter for lost body parts. Consider this fair warning.")

Miscellaneous Myths: Huitzilopochtli :zombie:  (Aztec mythology, fairly short.  Watch a cute lil' hummingbird cry "Blood for the blood god!")

A PORTUGESE Dub of Classics Summarized: The Odyssey  (Courtesy of a nice Brazilian teacher)

Red Reads Poe's "The Tell-Tale Heart" Out Loud, With Illustrations :zombie:

and finally:

Halloween Special: Dracula (Happy Halloween, everyone!)

She's been singing the end music in a lot of these.

6 people like this

I'm loving the Trope Talk series. The one on Strong Female Characters is especially interesting. (And I only spotted a couple comments of the variety you'd normally expect on any video talking about female characters. ::):

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

New videos at quite a clip, and I've fallen a bit behind.  All are worth watching!:

Trope Talk:  Write What You Know

Shakespeare Summarized: Titus Andronicus  :zombie: :zombie:  :zombie:  (By request.  It's a yucky one. "Content warning: this video needed a counter for deaths AND a counter for lost body parts. Consider this fair warning.")

Miscellaneous Myths: Huitzilopochtli :zombie:  (Aztec mythology, fairly short.  Watch a cute lil' hummingbird cry "Blood for the blood god!")

A PORTUGESE Dub of Classics Summarized: The Odyssey  (Courtesy of a nice Brazilian teacher)

Red Reads Poe's "The Tell-Tale Heart" Out Loud, With Illustrations :zombie:

and finally:

Halloween Special: Dracula (Happy Halloween, everyone!)

She's been singing the end music in a lot of these.

Titus Andronicus is easily the most disturbing of Shakespeare's plays. (There is a reason that it is also the least often produced... Brrrr.... And I am someone that played the titular character in Macbeth.)

I own the film adaptation starring Anthony Hopkins - both Jackie and Megan turned off the DVD at the same point. (And both times, I had tried to warn about just how disturbing it is.) Nor are they alone - my then roommate would leave the room rather than see it, and never saw the whole thing. (Same scene - if you have seen the film, then you know which one.).

No surprise - George R. R. Martin cites it as one of the inspirations for A Song of Ice and Fire....

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
2 people like this

It was the worst movie that I have even watched part of. Bad things happened and then KEPT HAPPENING!

2 people like this

Watched the Strong Female Characters video... Am I the only person that saw Rey and thought 'This is the way Lucas originally pictured the character that would become Luke Skywalker'?

When Lucas was first starting work on Star Wars, the main character was supposed to be female -

08-MosEisley-400x195.png

Concept art by Ralph McQuarrie - 1975.

The Auld Grump

1 person likes this

On 1/3/2017 at 11:53 AM, canuckotter said:

I'm loving the Trope Talk series. The one on Strong Female Characters is especially interesting. (And I only spotted a couple comments of the variety you'd normally expect on any video talking about female characters. ::):

I suspect that's partly because she humorously defused such comments by preemptively mocking them with godzilla footage in the video itself.  I thought that was a stroke of genius.

It probably also helps that she's super honest about being interested in figuring it out, analysis rather than preaching this or that.

3 people like this

It was a joy meeting Red at Adepticon. 

5 people like this

22 hours ago, Pingo said:

:huh:  :blink:  ::D:

Apparently there is a TV Tropes page for Overly Sarcastic Productions now.

Cool!

Wow. Crazy.

I'm also really enjoying the Trope Talk series. Please pass along my complements!

2 people like this