Arutema

Bailey Silvershot

21 posts in this topic

So I was thinking of building a Halfling gunslinger for Pathfinder Society, and I hit the snag that I know of no Halfling minis with firearms.

Wait, this can mean only one thing, another weapon conversion. Baliey Silverbell and Gruff Grimecleaver have about the same hand size after gloves.

Here she is recovering (letting the glue dry) after the operation. I can see I'll have to fill some gaps with a little greenstuff.

post-11679-0-25092900-1423732731_thumb.jpeg

12 people like this

I love this. I think that Bailey may be the most painted dwarf ever at this point. I see a lot of people doing good things with her.

Right: I fill the gaps in her arm with a little greenstuff.

Left: I use rather more greenstuff to sculpt what will become sand dunes onto a otherwise boring 25mm base.

post-11679-0-32614100-1423823831_thumb.jpeg

6 people like this

Like the work your doing but I notice your base greenstuff is multi coloured.  You may want to spend a bit more time rolling it around and wrapping it up on itself to eliminate the yellow and blues.   They actually won't cure to a proper hardness as well as the greens.  You should have a uniform green color when it it fully mixed.

1 person likes this

Like the work your doing but I notice your base greenstuff is multi coloured.  You may want to spend a bit more time rolling it around and wrapping it up on itself to eliminate the yellow and blues.   They actually won't cure to a proper hardness as well as the greens.  You should have a uniform green color when it it fully mixed.

QFT - was going to say the exact same thing. 

1 person likes this

QFT - was going to say the exact same thing. 

And indeed, much of the unmixed areas are still quite runny. I may have to try again with better-mixed greenstuff.

I prime over the dried greenstuff. Took it out on the tabletop like this and my fellow players didn't recognize it as a conversion even.

post-11679-0-78580300-1424078151_thumb.jpegpost-11679-0-10618700-1424078152_thumb.jpeg

Now I'm getting nervous if I can do the conversion work justice with my painting skills.

And wondering what I'll do about a base.

4 people like this

Finally got the courage and time to get started painting.

The mini says "Dwarf" moreso than "Halfling" to me, so I've decided to paint her up as one Pathfinder's Pahmet desert dwarves. Going for the desert wanderer look, I try MSP Tanned Flesh for the face and MSP Tanned Leather for the various leather bits.

A quick look at the mini afterwards had me thinking there wasn't enough contrast between the two, and the camera flash has confirmed my suspicions. The paint has also revealed some mold lines I missed on the hood, so I need to go back over the mini and cut those off.

post-11679-0-35047100-1424344485_thumb.jpegpost-11679-0-43440300-1424344499_thumb.jpeg

Any suggestions for a color for her gloves that won't be too dark but will contrast with the face?

4 people like this

Personally, I'd go a bit darker on the skin myself, rather than the leather. Add just a drop or two of a slightly darker brown to your tanned flesh, that should give you the necessary contrast, especially once you start doing highlights and shadows on the skin and leather and you have other colors inbetween the two to break them up. You may need to experiment a bit to find the right mix ratio but I'd suggest a brown with a hint of red or orange to it while highlighting the gloves with lighter tan colors.

Edited by Mad Jack

Finally had a chance to break out paints again today, but i feel rather "meh" with the results. Lots of paint slopped where it shouldn't be. The blue-gray for her clothes is way too blue. The tanned leather is beading on the bare bonesium on her boots, and i feel the brown I used for the gun's stock is too dark.

Meh.

post-11679-0-89037800-1425363562_thumb.jpeg

3 people like this

Wow, has it really been 4 months?

My painting last time revealed some really horrible mold lines. I cut those off as best I can.

Being dissatisfied with the last session's colors, I do a lot of painting over bits this session.

The character will in time end up in a mithril chain shirt, so I try for a silvery look with MSP polished silver. I also repaint her trousers MSPp olished bone, and the gun's action vallejo brass.

Now I feel like I'm getting somewhere, but can't find a brown I like for the gun's stock in my collection. Time to order something If i can't find a decent color at the FLGS Sunday.

post-11679-0-10571100-1438416093_thumb.jpeg

2 people like this

Well, I lied about not having a brown I liked in stock. VallejoDark Flesh managed to do a decent job as a wood on the gun and crossbow stocks.

Those fine details... I'm not sure if it's brush quality, brush control or eyesight limiting me, but I'm struggling with them.

post-11679-0-07051400-1438502056_thumb.jpegpost-11679-0-76539500-1438502056_thumb.jpeg

1 person likes this

It is mostly the bones material. Eventually also if the original sculpt was not so good or very old. Old minis have sometimes problems with details.

Yes, several bones miniatures are not different to the metal versions, but as soon there are more sharp details on the original it will have problems to show them.

One point I forgot to mention, look after other painted versions of the mini you want to paint. It helps much to decide what to do with a mini. To find out 'Hey it was a drilling machine the zombicide abomination has between his legs...'