Arutema

Bailey Silvershot

21 posts in this topic

Great Idea!

Going to have to copy this!

So my dwarf will have a girlfriend with like talents!

8)

George

1 person likes this

My attempt at lining the eyes with a micron pen was not successful. Not sure how I'm going to tackle the eyes. May need a new, finer brush. Suggestions on brushes, techniques or more are welcome. Tonight was otherwise a night of touch-ups, though I can see I still need a few more on her trousers and boots. And I keep forgetting to do metallic details on her belt buckle. Oops.

Hopefully I can finish her to a quality that's better than my previous maybe-it-will-be-good-enough-for-taletop quality.

post-11679-0-47104300-1439024900_thumb.jpegpost-11679-0-15114000-1439024901_thumb.jpegpost-11679-0-72043400-1439024901_thumb.jpeg

2 people like this

Looking Good!

I hate eyes to, and found this article to be VERY helpful!

Even though it says eyes first, I have used it on figures that I use an airbrush on.

8)

George

2 people like this

I made another pass at the eyes today. It was not a success. Maybe the new brushes I tried  weren't up to it, but I think my hands are just too shaky.

post-11679-0-54466000-1439233485_thumb.jpeg

I'm going to end up destroying the mini with too many coats on the face, aren't I?

"I'm going to end up destroying the mini with too many coats on the face, aren't I?"

That's pretty much the reason why people suggest doing eyes first.  Because it's less painful to strip and start over if you've only done the eyes.  And good eyes do take a ton of practice.  I usually need my optivisor, a good kolinsky brush and a few attempts before I get anything resembling passable.  You can also try resting your wrist on something to reduce shaking. 

Having painted Bailey in Bones myself, I can confirm that the detail around the waist is on the soft side.  There was a "Little People" themed Beauty Pageant going on around January/February that has a lot of examples of her being painted by different people.  You might want to check that out just to help sort out what's where in the softer areas.  Or search in Show Off for some painted examples of the metal version. 

1 person likes this

Supporting your painting hand with your other hand and letting your arms rest firmly against the desk, chair, or your own body can help limit the shakes.  Consider putting a pad or pillow between the desk and your arms if you need to do this for a long time.  That's what Jen Haley does for her shaking.  Also, if you're not already controlling your breathing, take a breath and let it out slowly as you paint those details. 

It is possible to strip an area rather than the whole figure with something like isopropyl alcohol and a very small brush, or by using abrasives like sanding needles or files.  I really try to avoid doing it, though, and I haven't tried it on Bones.