Vil-hatarn

[Pathfinder] Kingmaker AP Discussion

731 posts in this topic

I generally favor spellcasters. I like the Magus, Sorcerer, and Oracle. I could go Oracle if nobody is really wanting to play with the divine. It could amuse me and I might be willing to try my hand at playing a Paladin as I never tried before.

Maybe a dwarf paladin or oracle. Yes I know they have a -2 to Charisma, but I have fond memories of playing a dwarven hearth guard way back when I first started and it could be fun to do a dwarven paladin of either Torag or Erastil

I generally favor spellcasters. I like the Magus, Sorcerer, and Oracle. I could go Oracle if nobody is really wanting to play with the divine. It could amuse me and I might be willing to try my hand at playing a Paladin as I never tried before.

Maybe a dwarf paladin or oracle. Yes I know they have a -2 to Charisma, but I have fond memories of playing a dwarven hearth guard way back when I first started and it could be fun to do a dwarven paladin of either Torag or Erastil

Are you familiar with the dwarven stonelord paladin archetype? It swaps out most of the Charisma-dependent abilities for defensive stance and a whole pile of defensive abilities. It does grant a bonded earth elemental at level 5, but we can deal with that when we come to it.

1 person likes this

I am very good at pretending such things are simply never around unless the GM wants them in or as something to simply add color to my character in downtime

And hmm. Perhaps I should take that. I recall being fascinated by that archetype when I first read it. Are we allowed to use the racial trait swaps. I think I have an idea forming on this.

Oh and by average do you mean by class or PFS style average?

I'd be interested to see how it plays, as it's a fairly major overhaul of the class. Re:the elemental, we could either switch in a bonded weapon (perhaps with some alternate special qualities) or we may find by that point that it simply isn't a problem.

Switching around racial traits is fine, and I meant average by class, not that it will make a huge difference in the long run.

1 person likes this

I can run with either way. I have a rough idea of how she will play and why she is adventuring. Planning to play with a bit of an outcast theme on her and have her not worshipping a proper dwarven deity to the shock of her clan

Choosing a Deity is hard. If I stay core it is really limited, mostly due to the LG deities only for paladins.

She is Vonthra Valnore, Dwarven Paladin of Erastil

(Finally selected one and decided to keep it simple for this. Also named her)

Hmmm, just read through the player's guide.  Hadn't realized just how outdoorsy this adventure path is.  Still going to play a rogueskilled hunter and woodsman.  Looks like I may be one of those guys that found himself on the wrong side of the law and is trying to find a fresh start.  And all those ambush skills will certainly be handy hunting and stalking.

2 people like this

It's very woodsy. And then it can get pretty urban. One reason I am looking at a non - spontaneous caster. You may have to choose your spells every day, but you have a wide variety To choose from. You can play death dealing evoker one day and spiritual diviner of the secrets of the dead the next. ::):

Roo

2 people like this

I'm still waffling back and forth between fighter and cavilier. Might just make both and then decide.

1 person likes this

Roo, what sort of a caster are you thinking? 

I've got so many options on the go in my brain I could switch between a half dozen character concepts at the drop of a hat.

1 person likes this

There are a lot of concepts I want to try too.  If no one wants to be a full divine caster, I don't mind taking that role.  

1 person likes this

I can run with either way. I have a rough idea of how she will play and why she is adventuring. Planning to play with a bit of an outcast theme on her and have her not worshipping a proper dwarven deity to the shock of her clan

Choosing a Deity is hard. If I stay core it is really limited, mostly due to the LG deities only for paladins.

She is Vonthra Valnore, Dwarven Paladin of Erastil

(Finally selected one and decided to keep it simple for this. Also named her)

LG deities are not strictly required for paladins. However, there's a slightly higher chance of conflict between your ideals and those of your deity.

1 person likes this

I was still torn and just went with a basic one. Nearly took Sarenrae by then they archetype would make little sense. I am like Unit 04 if nobody want divine caster I can pull one out. There are some nice ones to play with currently options wise

Roo, what sort of a caster are you thinking?

I've got so many options on the go in my brain I could switch between a half dozen character concepts at the drop of a hat.

Look up about 4 notes. Looking at a half elven witch. Sort of a rogue of the casting world. They make good gap fillers and the hexes start off being exceptionally effective in combat and morph over to real effective in diplomatic situations as their levels grow. The mysterious power they draw their magic from is the tweak that let's them be more of a power or social caster. so although they can't replace a wizard or sorcerer or a hhealer, they can step into any of these roles when needed.

Go ahead and chose what you want for your caster, then I can choose my power and the corresponding spells accordingly

Of course they are about as useless as a jack boot on a goat when it comes to physical combat...

Edited by Kangaroorex
2 people like this

I was still torn and just went with a basic one. Nearly took Sarenrae by then they archetype would make little sense. I am like Unit 04 if nobody want divine caster I can pull one out. There are some nice ones to play with currently options wise

Torag would make sense thematically, if you want to go with the traditional Dwarven god route.  

1 person likes this

So, I was thinking of making a fighter or cavalier.  If I go fighter I may go with the Rough Rider or Dragoon.  Of course running a straight up fighter could be fun as well.  I'm just not sure on devoting a bunch of feats to mounted combat.

ETA:

Of course, Cavalier goes against the 'pet option'.  Not sure about a mounted fighter.

If you're going to play a mounted warrior, then go with cavalier--the fighter's horse, even with the archetype bonuses, will reliably get vaporized by higher-level area-of-effect spells. Given that this is one of the few adventure paths where the cavalier has a chance to shine, I'm going to say go ahead with it, but I would ask everyone else to avoid non-familiar companions.

See, I had just talked myself into going straight fighter and then you said a cavalier had a chance to shine.  Now I'm back on the fence.

I had question about the Dueling Sword as I'm not that familiar with it.  I'll most likely be taking the Sword Scion Campaign Trait and it allows me to start with a Longsword or Aldori Dueling Sword.  I've looked at the PRD and not found stats.

The d20pfrd states:

These swords are a bit over 3 feet long, very slightly curved, and sharp only along the outer edge.

Benefit: A dueling sword may be used as a Martial Weapon (in which case it functions as a longsword), but if you have the feat Exotic Weapon Proficiency (dueling sword), you can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier on attack rolls with a dueling sword sized for you, even though it isn't a light weapon. You can also wield a dueling sword in two hands in order to apply 1-1/2 times your Strength bonus to damage.

What I get from this is that I can use it (proficient in Marital Weapons), but I can't use it with Weapon Finesse (not that I want to) with out having the Exotic

Weapon Proficiency.  So far so good.  What confuses me me is the bit about using it in two hands.  You can use any two handed weapon in two hands for 1.5 time str bonus.  Why are they bring that up.  Is there something about the Dueling sword that you have to Exotic Weapon Proficiency to use it with two hands?