Vil-hatarn

[Pathfinder] Kingmaker AP Discussion

Personally, I'm a fan of the fire priest. Angradd goes well with fire and war. and who expects a fireball from the priest? Not to mention the little firebolts are a nasty surprise for your average goblin or kobold.

off topic, theres an idea for a sTore in the town "terry's trap detectors! Finest kobolds on a stick in town" (also available in goblin, pixie, and dire rat) ::):

• Like 1

Dilvish: I believe, with Exotic Proficiency, you are allowed to both apply your Dexterity modifier to attack rolls and apply 1.5 times your Strength modifier to damage rolls when two-handing, similar to the elven curve blade.

• Like 1

(proficient in Marital Weapons)

Tee-hee!

Meanwhile, I'm open to suggestions. By which I mean give me your suggestions, people. Where can I dig a little something different out of this campaign, in terms of class?

Are gunslingers on the table?

Unlike most one handed weapons, the rapier cannot be used two handed, but can be used with weapon finesse.  The note in the dueling sword is probably because of that.  

From what I have read and talked to others about, the key to this adventure path is a balance of skills both combat and social. I think this path will really shine in a pbf environment because it will allow for things like diplomacy, ritual casting, crafting skills and other, usually secondary abilities to come to the fore. I am really looking forward to being able to use divining spells, crafting, and profession skills as more than background and more weapons for the cause.

Seeing the priest raise a temple (if they can find the funds) or starting a witches coven or a watchING the wizard build an academy, while also going out to shake down the evil denizens for operating capital should make for an interesting campaign.

• Like 2

Ok, then, I don't need to take Exotic WP for the thing (I'm going with Str 16 Dex 13 so no need for Weapon Finesse).  Mostly taking it for the flavor as it is effectively a longsword (cost 5gp more and weighs 1lb less).

Now to figure out feats and my fighter will be done.  Then I can work on the cavalier and see which one I prefer.  Luckily I already have a Cavalier done up up from Mummy's Mask that I can modify for this Adventure Path.

ETA: I'm trying to strike a balance between flavor and effectiveness with my skill, trait and feat choices.  I tend to go too far in either direction during character creation.

My rough back ground is that I will be (fighter of cavalier) a member of a prominent Chelaxian who is in self exile for killing another member of the nobility in a duel.  I have eventual made my way here and and am looking to start a new life while avoiding any assassins (mundane an supernatural).  With my propensity to dueling the Sword Scion trait makes sense.  If anyone sees any gap in need that fits this idea then let me know.  I'm thinking about taking the extra trait feat as my human bonus so I can get some more flavor benefits.

• Like 2

Re: gunslingers, I'm hesitant but have never actually had one in a game, so I'm willing to give it a shot. If you're looking for something different, I would be willing to consider the Occult Adventures playtest classes (kineticist, medium, mesmerist, occultist, psychic, and spiritualist). I have the PDF if you're interested.

Re: gunslingers, I'm hesitant but have never actually had one in a game, so I'm willing to give it a shot.

Hah!  I see what you did there :poke:

• Like 2

A gunslinger might be pretty cool, but I would be very prone to wanting to play it like one of the 3+1 Musketeers.

• Like 1

Ok, then, I don't need to take Exotic WP for the thing (I'm going with Str 16 Dex 13 so no need for Weapon Finesse).  Mostly taking it for the flavor as it is effectively a longsword (cost 5gp more and weighs 1lb less).

Now to figure out feats and my fighter will be done.  Then I can work on the cavalier and see which one I prefer.  Luckily I already have a Cavalier done up up from Mummy's Mask that I can modify for this Adventure Path.

ETA: I'm trying to strike a balance between flavor and effectiveness with my skill, trait and feat choices.  I tend to go too far in either direction during character creation.

My rough back ground is that I will be (fighter of cavalier) a member of a prominent Chelaxian who is in self exile for killing another member of the nobility in a duel.  I have eventual made my way here and and am looking to start a new life while avoiding any assassins (mundane an supernatural).  With my propensity to dueling the Sword Scion trait makes sense.  If anyone sees any gap in need that fits this idea then let me know.  I'm thinking about taking the extra trait feat as my human bonus so I can get some more flavor benefits.

Sounds great! As Kangaroorex noted, this is definitely an AP where even 'flavor' choices can definitely come into play.

For the convenience of the remaining players, here's a list of the proposed characters so far:

Qwyksilver: hunter/brigand-themed rogue

Dilvish: human (Chelaxian) fighter

Kangaroorex: half-elf witch

Flamehawke: dwarf paladin (note, no casting if stonelord)

ShadowRaven: dwarf wizard

Marvin: bow ranger?

So plenty of room for a divine caster or two (though I will attempt to reduce the need for a healbot either through house rules or magic item placement), possibly a ranged martial character, and then there's space for some of the less typical classes if anyone's interested in them (alchemist, monk, swashbuckler, occult adventures classes).

• Like 1

I'm 80% in the fighter camp right now.  I'm kinda liking what I've come up with so far.  I really wanted to take the Fighter of the Society trait (+1 to AC when wearing armor?! yes please) but it doesn't fit.  It's now time to buy equipment.  So much stuff to buy and so little money to spend.  I've got my next couple of hundred gold allocated for future purchases already.

I'll be able to shoot, but am not planning on taking many shooting feats at this point.  I'm going to be more of a 1H/2H fighter.  Speaking 2H fighting, when adding 1.5x my Str bonus when using a weapon with 2 hands, do I round up or down (Str 16 is that +4 damage or +6 damage)?

I suppose I could roll as a ranger. Ranged version. Not as exciting, perhaps, but sounds like might fill a gap better.

Range Rangers are more reliable than gunslingers and with strength bows can become a lot more deadly.

@Vil: as I have the cauldron hex and plan on one of my starting spells being CLW, if we don't get a healer, you have an Avenue of potion placement even at the start of the adventure. Just a thought...

• Like 2

I'm 80% in the fighter camp right now. I'm kinda liking what I've come up with so far. I really wanted to take the Fighter of the Society trait (+1 to AC when wearing armor?! yes please) but it doesn't fit. It's now time to buy equipment. So much stuff to buy and so little money to spend. I've got my next couple of hundred gold allocated for future purchases already.

I'll be able to shoot, but am not planning on taking many shooting feats at this point. I'm going to be more of a 1H/2H fighter. Speaking 2H fighting, when adding 1.5x my Str bonus when using a weapon with 2 hands, do I round up or down (Str 16 is that +4 damage or +6 damage)?

Always round down. Generally I would handwave that kind of requirement but that trait is...rather overpowered.

• Like 1