poppavt

77040: Satheras, Male Elf Warlock

This is my first completed figure and my first Bones figure. I've worked on it for weeks, on and off, to use it in a tabletop game. 

post-13902-0-32209700-1424221099.jpgpost-13902-0-65760900-1424221112.jpg

I was attempting to achieve an inner glow from the crystal, but I don't think it worked out as well as it I was hoping. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by poppavt
  • Like 22

Wow, this is very good for a first completed mini! Your theory on the glowing crystal is actually pretty spot-on, you just need to commit to it harder. It would help to smooth out the transitions on the crystal itself, and then for it to read as object source lighting (OSL) you'll need to have the purple "illuminating" the area around the crystal much more dramatically. Also, remember that a light source should be the lightest thing on the mini.

All that said, OSL is a very advanced technique, so the fact that you did as well as you did this early is admirable. Other than that, your color placement is good, and you have pretty good contrast, especially on the robes. The freehand on the scroll is especially impressive as well. Great work!

• Like 1

Wow. I was never fond of this figure, but I really like what you've done with the layers of clothing and his face. I may have to revisit my Bones bucket. 

As for the gem, glow is softer, more blended, and typically centered somewhere diffusing outward. Because of the way light refracts, it may not be visible on all the facets. You really just need to look at a lot of pictures. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. I had a hard time finding reference photos. I did put some purple wash on the hood and left shoulder, which you can see a little bit in the photo of his back.

The cape in the back is stunning. I'm having a hard time believing this is your first mini! The freehand on the scroll is also nice, the whole thing is pretty good overall.

For OSL, the light source has to be the brightest thing. In general, you want to avoid taking too many things on a mini up to white. Then you can use white to draw the eye where you want, in this case the lit gem. But really, it looks pretty good as it is, just needs some blending. In general, work with thinner paints and more layers to smooth out the transitions...but that lower cape thing in the back...you're on the right track.

• Like 2

Nice job all in all!  Clearly you've been reading a lot about blending and shading. ;)  I love the little beard on his chin.

I've been doing a lot of crystals myself lately.  I did this guy late least year, and my most recent project has been an ice base for a goliath monk.  In general, the way you do crystals is to paint them one color, red and blue in my case, then move toward white on the edges.  I've never tried OSL from a crytsal, but I suspect your instict is right - reverse that.  In either case you want a fairly blended transition and a very thin line along the crystals edge.

I'll put in links, Satheras and the base.