Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stormbreach

Ral Partha Mind Flayer

7 posts in this topic

Here is a mind flayer I have had for a long time. I liked him a lot better than the first Ral Partha mind flayer sculpt. When I was thinking of colors for him I was thinking of him clashing with himself, loudly. Being a mind flayer I thought it would be neat if it kind of hurt your head just to look at him. In the end he didn't clash all that badly, but it was fun painting him anyway. If I were to have him perfect his head would contrast with his robe more and his tentacles would fade to bright pink at the tips but I don't know how to glaze yet. Also these pics don't show the highlighting on his robe properly but I kind of like it because my second layer had some blue I mixed in and it makes it look almost iridescent in the right light because there is no blue in the lower layers, only the highest one. Here he is.

post-13810-0-52100500-1425264628_thumb.jpgpost-13810-0-13886500-1425264640_thumb.jpg

As always, C&C are welcome and encouraged!

Edit: forgot to mention I like the beak and how I managed to get a little pinker flesh around it. Kind of gross, but it's supposed to be gross, it's a mind flayer.

Edited by stormbreach
20 people like this

Really cool sculpt. Now I have to go track one down for myself.

1 person likes this

This is great! I think the colors are actually quite muted and undergroundy.

1 person likes this

Ermagherd, it's a Foglio-style mindflayer!

ETA: Complete with Magnificent Hat!

Edited by Pingo
1 person likes this

Hah, this is great!

1 person likes this

Why don't they make flayers with hats any more?

1 person likes this

They all started using product... and the hat messes everything up - god save us all from the metrosexual mindflayers!

love the mini!

2 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Chaoswolf
      This is an old Ral Partha 3 stage character; high level Cleric. I've got both the low level, and mid level ones around here somewhere; I need to dig them out and paint them, too.

My usual tabletop paint job, I hope you like it.

• By Chaoswolf
      This is an old Ral Partha female fighter; she is part of a 2 figure set with a male figure dressed and armed in the same fashion. (He is still on the workbench awaiting a few finishing touches)

I hope you like her.

• By 72moonglum
      Hello all,
      so here are two figures I just finished recently from Ral Partha.
      The first one is from the Larry Elmore set Bones of the Past, I think sculpted by Jeff Grace, which was based off a painting Larry Elmore did I think perhaps for a book cover.  I tried to actually use the same color scheme on my mini as showed up in the painting, but I ended up changing up the belt because in the painting it was red and she already had red details and pants.

I did the other figure a wile back ago, the gal with the purse, loincloth and little else.  Here's the link to that one: 
      I think, that linked up okay.

Then here is another figure I did, Jee-Anna the armored warrior priest (ess) a figure sculpted by Jim Johnson quite a while back ago.  I really like this figure and wanted to give her just dark, blacks and greys, so hopefully with this color scheme I ended up getting what I wanted.  With the base, I ended up sculpting some more stones because it was one of those stone floor bases.

Anyway, hope you enjoy them!

• By Citrine
      This is 01-151 Sea Dragon from Ral Partha, re-released by Iron Wind Metals under the same SKU.  I got mine from the Chaos Wars Kickstarter they had a while back.

I decided I would be more daring and colorful than I usually paint, and paint this up as a tropical coral reef dragon.

• By 72moonglum
      So, here are two miniatures I just got done painting and basing last night.  I ended up painting these two as well as another figure (front with a link for nudity) at the same time because I was starting out with the same skin colors, beginning with Tanned Skin. 

One thing I did with the female pirate's sword and metal was I used Ashen Blue as my base color, then used deeper blues, then dark elf skin and shadow, then black, and worked upwards with lighter greys and finally white.  

With the bases, which I also do very simply, I did the pirate bases starting with a base of blonde hair, then terran khaki.  The thought was to make sand, but who knows how well that worked out.  

Here is the link to the third miniature:

http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Image:02-806_flute8.JPG

And here is the photo this figure came from:

And a question, one of the doubts I had was about the female pirate, should I have lightened her eyebrows?

• Who's Online   45 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)