Sign in to follow this  
stormbreach

Ral Partha Mind Flayer

Here is a mind flayer I have had for a long time. I liked him a lot better than the first Ral Partha mind flayer sculpt. When I was thinking of colors for him I was thinking of him clashing with himself, loudly. Being a mind flayer I thought it would be neat if it kind of hurt your head just to look at him. In the end he didn't clash all that badly, but it was fun painting him anyway. If I were to have him perfect his head would contrast with his robe more and his tentacles would fade to bright pink at the tips but I don't know how to glaze yet. Also these pics don't show the highlighting on his robe properly but I kind of like it because my second layer had some blue I mixed in and it makes it look almost iridescent in the right light because there is no blue in the lower layers, only the highest one. Here he is.

post-13810-0-52100500-1425264628_thumb.jpgpost-13810-0-13886500-1425264640_thumb.jpg

As always, C&C are welcome and encouraged!

Edit: forgot to mention I like the beak and how I managed to get a little pinker flesh around it. Kind of gross, but it's supposed to be gross, it's a mind flayer.

Edited by stormbreach
  • Like 20

Ermagherd, it's a Foglio-style mindflayer!

ETA: Complete with Magnificent Hat!

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 1

Why don't they make flayers with hats any more?

• Like 1

They all started using product... and the hat messes everything up - god save us all from the metrosexual mindflayers!

love the mini!

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      Good morning,

so here's my last little painted piece of happiness, another Hackmaster figure that Ral Partha has gotten a hold of, a human thief.  I actually kind of have begun liking these figures quite a lot, as they feel like prototypes of their classes so often, kind of generic, but very nicely done in that old school feel.  I wanted dark colors for this one, but didn't want just black, so hopefully gave him a bit of variety with the colors.

• By alchemist
      This sculpt is a lot of fun.  I've been meaning to paint him for a long time.

I tried to do a kind of swirling water effect on the base, using Woodland Scenics Water Effects.  Not sure how well it shows in the photos.

And of course, then I had to do this:

• By 72moonglum
      Good evening all,

so just finished this one, another really fun and adventurous Dwarf sculpted by Jim Johnson back in 2002-2003. Another piece from the Hackmaster line from Kenzer and Company, but was acquired by Ral Partha and now being cast by them.  Hopefully dwarfy enough colors, started out with his skin as tanned highlights and gave him some nice black hair.  I thought about doing something with the runes on his axe but then just figured I'd leave them as metal.

Enjoy!
    • By Pingo
      So I realized I only had one painted dwarf (!) when one of my GMs asked me if I had anything for the Jadeborn, a race in Exalted that is roughly equivalent to dwarves except for the 0.001% who are roughly equivalent to elves. And they are also sort of stone golems. Based on jade.

I thought Reaper's 60184: Meyanda, Android Priestess, sculpted by Bobby Jackson, would do well for one of the elfy artisan Jadeborn and I pulled out a random assortment of seven (because of course) dwarves for the worker and warrior Jadeborn.

All paints used are Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics. Color mixes are (usually) noted, but not exact ratios.

Questions are welcomed and I will try to answer them. Critiques are appreciated.

This is the way I usually start miniature figures: Lightly primed with Titanium White, then when that is dry, washing it over with Burnt Umber. Burnt Umber is a dark, transparent pigment that settles into crannies when thinned down and shows the details very well. It also gives a nice warm undertone to later paint layers.

I left a few crystal and gem areas white so they will have more luminosity later.

Left to right:
      Reaper 60184, Meyanda Android Priestess; Ral Partha; Hasslefree HFD014 Hatherley; Oathsworn Miniatures; Oathsworn Miniatures; Red Box Games; Stonehaven Miniatures; Reaper 14143: Kara Foehunter, Dwarf Hero

Details:

The Ral Partha dwarf is tiny!

• By 72moonglum
      Hello all,
      just finished another Ral Partha Hackmaster figure, this time a male dwarf thief, dagger in one hand and crossbow in the other.   It's another figure sculpted by the prolific Jim Johnson back in about 2003.

For this one, I wanted darker colors, but really the hardest part on him was deciding the line at the edges of his leather jerkin. I had considered red and gold, but then for some reason purple ended up being the color I went with. 

Enjoy!

• Who's Online   30 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)