Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stormbreach

Ral Partha Mind Flayer

7 posts in this topic

Here is a mind flayer I have had for a long time. I liked him a lot better than the first Ral Partha mind flayer sculpt. When I was thinking of colors for him I was thinking of him clashing with himself, loudly. Being a mind flayer I thought it would be neat if it kind of hurt your head just to look at him. In the end he didn't clash all that badly, but it was fun painting him anyway. If I were to have him perfect his head would contrast with his robe more and his tentacles would fade to bright pink at the tips but I don't know how to glaze yet. Also these pics don't show the highlighting on his robe properly but I kind of like it because my second layer had some blue I mixed in and it makes it look almost iridescent in the right light because there is no blue in the lower layers, only the highest one. Here he is.

post-13810-0-52100500-1425264628_thumb.jpgpost-13810-0-13886500-1425264640_thumb.jpg

As always, C&C are welcome and encouraged!

Edit: forgot to mention I like the beak and how I managed to get a little pinker flesh around it. Kind of gross, but it's supposed to be gross, it's a mind flayer.

Edited by stormbreach
20 people like this

Really cool sculpt. Now I have to go track one down for myself.

1 person likes this

This is great! I think the colors are actually quite muted and undergroundy.

1 person likes this

Ermagherd, it's a Foglio-style mindflayer!

ETA: Complete with Magnificent Hat!

Edited by Pingo
1 person likes this

Hah, this is great!

1 person likes this

Why don't they make flayers with hats any more?

1 person likes this

They all started using product... and the hat messes everything up - god save us all from the metrosexual mindflayers!

love the mini!

2 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rob Dean
      I pulled this figure off my "to do" pile yesterday and gave him a fast paint job; think of it as practice for speed painting at Gencon.  Anyway, I also got him based up last night. He's the early version of Ral Partha ES-32 (or 01-032), and was later replaced by a spearman facing forward.  I like the animation of the Parthian shot pose, but a unit of them is going to look odd on a wargame table any time that they are NOT evading...

• By 72moonglum
      Good evening all,

so I finished these two this morning, that come from an old Ral Partha set called I think Dwarven Steam Cannon, that was resurrected in a recent Ral Partha Kickstarter.  I don't have the actual steam cannon, but I do have two of the three dwarves that operate the contraption, which are here:

I made them pretty much the same color of uniform, because they are running the same big machine, just varying essentially their hair color.  They do both have eyes and they are painted, but they are under those furrowed hairy brows. 

Here they are together:

There is a third engineer, who is actually working, he's got a shovel and he's picking up coal, but that's a figure I just don't happen to be the proud owner of.  I'll have to pick that one up one of these days to complete my little trio of dwarves. 

Remember that these are old school Partha, so they are pretty small sized figures.  They probably take up about 1/3 to 1/4 the lead of a modern dwarf these days and are probably about 20 mm tall.  I really do like these figures, as they are some of the few non-bellicose figures from that time, no weapons, just working (even though they are running a cannon).  Anyhow, simple paint jobs, and I hope you enjoy them!
    • By 72moonglum
      Hello guys and gals!

So just got these two photographed this afternoon, two Children of the Night old school Samurais, from two different packages.  One is a Female Samurai, out of an old Samurai Player Characters package or something similar, and the other one is a dwarf samurai from a Dwarf Player character set, beautifully and petitely sculpted by Dennis Mize. I painted them both at the same time in an attempt to use the same color schemes, hence saving a tad bit of time.  I'm pretty satisfied how they came out, even though I have doubts about the female samurai's eyes.  These are though very true 25 mm figures, really small, so I don't think I want to keep messing with them, as don't want to make matters worse.

Here's the Female Samurai:

And here is the Dwarf Samurai:

Here they are together:

and this is kind of fun, I actually painted the female samurai as per the records I found, in July of 2007, so literally a decade ago, and here is that comparison:

In which also the eyes were a bit obnoxious to work with, but in my old paint job, they ended up being pretty large.  The older version way back then would have been painted with craft paints and brushes I would have gotten from Michaels.

So anyways, hope you enjoy!
    • By Silvervane
      As typical to form, I managed to get some painting time in finally.  Rather than work on something I've already started, I started something new.  My new project is Magister from the Forgotten Realms Ral Partha Set that I started a while ago.  I can link to my other painted works from this set to give people a feel for my progress over the last couple of years (if anyone is interested).  But for now I began with my usual 1st step in painting the face.  I also base coated the the rest of the skin (the little bit of it there is).  He has been primed and waiting on my desk longer than I thought he would.

Here is how he looks at the moment:

• By 72moonglum
      Hi guys,

So I just finished this figure this weekend.  This is a Hackmaster Female Gnome Illusionist from a line that was created for the Hackmaster Role Playing Game, but was recently acquired by Iron Wind Metals/Ral Partha.  It's a pretty nice little series of figures with an old school vibe and some interesting creatures.  This is the only one I really have at the moment and decided to paint her up. I painted a version of this figure a long time ago, but not too too long ago got  a hold of another copy. So here's the most recent version:

and here is my original version, which I painted probably almost ten years ago I'm guessing:

I'm kind of torn between the two. I think I like the color patterns all bright and such with the freehand ghosts, but at least from a painting aspect, even though not as colorful, the newer one I like probably a bit better.

Way back when I had the conception from the Monster Manual that gnomes were grey with white hair and while I have overcome that conception, I was still living in that state of mind when I painted her the first time.

Anyhow, there they are, enjoy!
  • Who's Online   39 Members, 7 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)