Laoke

Gelatinous Cube (77305), Translucent Slimes (77306), Shadow (77369), Crystal Golem (77309), Ice Wall (77312) - Bones II

I think the green slime came out great. The orange one looks like there was some pooling of the ink. The cube looks good, nice and even colour, though because of the colour, it looks like a tidal wave of (possibly used) ale.

• Like 5

nice job. Maybe a chestnut brown wash for the ochre will make it more ochre?

and why do I have this sudden hankering for pineapple-flavoured Jelly?

• Like 1

The problem with washes on the translucent figures when you're trying to keep them somewhat translucent is that they tend to 'cloud' the figure in patches.  I've had better luck with inks, but I don't have a brown ink.

The comment about pooling is well taken, but it's actually the opposite:  now that I look at it carefully I can see spots where I didn't apply the paint evenly.  I'll fix it up in a bit : )

Edited by Laoke
  • Like 1

The effect is good, but I keep thinking they look like rock candy or gummy worms/bears.

But that's probably what happens with all Tamiya transparent paints on "organic" figures instead of model cars.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 3

The problem with washes on the translucent figures when you're trying to keep them somewhat translucent is that they tend to 'cloud' the figure in patches.  I've had better luck with inks, but I don't have a brown ink.

I like Osmiroid Brown ink, nicely transparent, but my bottle is so old it is a 2 oz.bottle so I have no clue if new stock has a different formula.

Edit, guess the brand is long OOP  ::(: and my supply is getting low  ::o:

Edited by scorpio616
  • Like 1

The blue does look good. I would try using the edge of a brush to very lightly put some blue-white (RMS Ghost White comes to mind) on the very edges of the crystal structures...this should be pretty quick, and would add some definition to the shape without sacrificing translucency.

The Gel cube looks magnificent!

• Like 3

They look yummy. Like if there was a death slime filled version of Candy Land.

I can never figure out what to do with my clear bones, yours look great.

Edited by Bathory
  • Like 1

Very cool!  I especially like the Gelatinous Urine!   Does Tamiya still make the paint "smoke"?  I wonder how that would work, adding shadows and depth, but still keeping the "clear" look of the plastic.  Any other thoughts on how to do this?  Secret Weapon soft body black just beaded up and looked terrible.  Luckily I could wash it off quickly, and it didn't leave any residue.  

• Like 1

Very cool!  I especially like the Gelatinous Urine!   Does Tamiya still make the paint "smoke"?  I wonder how that would work, adding shadows and depth, but still keeping the "clear" look of the plastic.  Any other thoughts on how to do this?  Secret Weapon soft body black just beaded up and looked terrible.  Luckily I could wash it off quickly, and it didn't leave any residue.  

Yeah, Tamiya still make "smoke" - Tamiya Clear Smoke is what I used on the Shadow. It's probably the closest match to the Purple Translucents:  Red shades them harshly into 'ZOMG blood tentacle', and Blue results in a marginally purplish blue tentacle.  Yes, tested both using the tentacles.  If anyone wants to see the results lemme know - it's not good, I warn you now : )

I suspect that Smoke on the clear translucents would result in a slightly purplish / grey figure.

One way I have of making an 'interesting' look for armor is to paint it using metallic paints and then laying Clear Smoke / appropriate color over the top.  I've even used it over bare metal for a similar effect.  The result is a glossy, hard-laquered looking metallic surface.

I've had good results adding definition to the translucent figures using black ink - it's marginally translucent, sticks where it's supposed to go, and adds deeper definition than just using the Tamiya Clear paints themselves (although, in a lot of cases, just using Tamiya Clear paint works perfectly well).  Washes tend to make the translucent figures a little cloudy.

If you're having trouble with paints beading on Bones, and you want to keep the translucent nature intact, you might want to try coating the figure in acrylic medium first (RMS Brush on Sealer is acrylic medium, although grabbing a big bottle from your local art store will likely be cheaper).  That should give the paint something to work with that's not as hydrophobic as bare Bones, while still being transparent.  But I haven't tried it myself so I don't know for sure if it'll work or not.

If you're having trouble with paints beading on Bones, and you want to keep the translucent nature intact, you might want to try coating the figure in acrylic medium first (RMS Brush on Sealer is acrylic medium, although grabbing a big bottle from your local art store will likely be cheaper).  That should give the paint something to work with that's not as hydrophobic as bare Bones, while still being transparent.  But I haven't tried it myself so I don't know for sure if it'll work or not.

I have. it works. I've also tried fluorescent medium... which worked but was a bit frosty.

I highly recommend the badger freak flex translucent paints. Good value. Artists inks are also reasonably priced for the quantity, and there's lots of options.

I did a quick comparison of clear paints and inks here

• Like 1

Yeah I saw that when it first came through, lots of nifty information there.  I might have to give Badger paints a try when I run out of Tamiya : )

One question - are they an alcohol based acrylic?

Edited by Laoke