haldir

Pathfinder: Giantslayer AP

Great story!

I've got Thomlin's background set, I just need to look up some setting specific details and write it down.  I should be able to get to it tonight.

I'm also trying to decide whether to take the Charger Archetype for my mount.  I'm not sure if what it gains outweighs what it loses (evasion mostly).  Steady Gait looks like the best feat for my mount.

• Like 1

You know I thought I had put 4 on that post. so yes there are 4 & up to 2 slots available. 

• Like 1

Thomlin's background:

Thomlin's family has lived in Lastwall since it's inception.  His many times great-grandfather, Thomlan, fought in the crusade against the Whispering Tyrant.  After the battle, Thomlan stayed and eventually took up farming.  Generations of his descendants worked the land until the Hordewall fell.  His family fled as the land of their forefathers was overrun by masses of orcs. They resettled near the Dortort Ranch.  No longer working the land for themselves, they have worked as hired hands at farms and ranches throughout the area.  Some members of the family have gone off to join the forces of Last Wall, but most stay and work the land.

Named in honor of his fore bearer, Thomlin has grownup hearing stories of the family farm and the exploits of notable members of the family.  He has always dreamed of restoring the family to their ancestral home.  From a youg age he has contributed to the families finances by working for the Dortort Ranch.  First as a stableboy and groom, and later exercising and training their horses.  He showed a real talent for working with the Dort Chargers, and has spent countless hours in the saddle, training them for war.

A follower of Iomede, Thomlin has patterned his actions on the stories of her deeds.  One day, not long ago, a trade caravan from Trunau arrived to purchase horses.  Hearing about Trunau's steadfastness against the orcs that cost his family their birthright, Thomlin was inspired by their courage.  That night, he had a dream that he was defending the town, astride a horse, riding down a nebulous enemy.  Believeing that the dream was a sign from Iomede, He vowed that he would do what he could to assist the survival of those who called Trunau home.

He told old man Dortort that he would be leaving to go to Trunau to following his calling, and while the rancher was sad to see an experience hand go, Thomlin's passion and resolve was so strong that Dortort didn't even try to talk him into staying.  In fact, he gifted Thomlin with Falgar, the even gaited Dort Charger he had been training, as well as letting him keep the armor and weapons he used for that training.

Thomlin has recently arrived to Trunau and willing to pitch in and do whatever needs to be done to ensure the security of the town.

• Like 3

Meet Kirinto of the Vale

Kirinto never knew his original family.  Raised as a foundling by an elven family in Trunau he spent his young years in the city rushing about and interacting with the other races.  He also spent time providing information to the guard, from both inside and outside of the walls.  and he spent a lot of time outside the walls, probably more than his adopted parents would be comfortable with, even finding time to play and befriend some of the more peaceful orc children in secret by showing them little magic tricks.

Early on he learned he had an affinity for magic, especially the stuff that makes things go boom.  As he grew older he spent less time playing with others and more time searching for magic.  This came to a head when he snuck off with a wand of fireball and figured out how to activate it, fortunately straight up.  This led to his being apprenticed to a magic user of some renown, partially at his parents cost and partially for the safety of the city.  He quickly learned the skills to control his power and focus it into his studies. 

His studies also revolved around those greatest of magical treasures, the artifacts.  much is written but little is known.  he made it his personal challenge to find and collect these devices, and more importantly, discover what they actually do.  Frustrated in his inability to find these in the more urban areas of the world, he returned to Trunau in the hopes of locating some and to provide and do his part protecting the city that raised him.

Kirinto has one item from his past life, a signet ring of unknown origin that was found with him.  He has kept it close all his life and has worn it since it would fit on his finger.  the image on the ring depicts a dragon curled around a small child.  elven script around the edge reads "I claim as mine".  No one has ever been able to identify the origins of the ring or its real meaning, but for Kirinto it has become part of him and part of his magic.

Kirinto is an elf of middle height and weight.  he tends to wear bright colors, especially the brightest blues and greens he can find.  over his clothing he usually wears a full length cloak of midnight blue scarlet silk flames around the bottom.  sometimes he wears the flame in, sometimes out to the world. 

Heres the link to the mythweavers character sheet.  its the new form so let me know if something goes wrong.  I may play a little with his equipment but he should be all set

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=110003

Edit: I might also make him a 20 point buy rather than a 15 point buy (doh!)

Edited by Kangaroorex
  • Like 2

AP's don't necessarily work that way. Adjust number of enemies, and they usually say "party should be level x by here, level y by here."

Of course. I was just saying we're gtg as is I think. How big the party is is up to Haldir . As it stands I haven't played in a group bigger than 3 for 5 years. It's nice to have a full rounded party for a change.

• Like 1

I still have to settle on Falgar's stats.  Really I just need to decide if I'm using an archtype and pick his feat.  I'm leaning towards Steady Gait;  Helps with mounted charges and mounted archery.

Yeah, things always slowed down in face to face groups more than 4 or 5. I always like 4 as a DM for APs, since that's how they're written, and then less modifying. But as a player in a PBP, nice to have a larger group, IMO.

If Marvin doesn't jump in...I do have a Gripli ninja that I made up for stuff and giggles That I've not run past Haldir or anyone because I was never seriously thinking I would actually play it...

• Like 1

big groups face to face require some actual organization and who will do what ahead of time.  Other than that they can be a blast to play and you can get into some real huge battles, including some serious magic faceoffs with a big party.  Of course with multiple spellcasters in the party there can be problems when multi fireballs get cast into the area with the tanks under the assumption that surely they can survive 1...

And I LIKE the grippli ninja!  although they lack a lot in strength, they are pretty awesome PCs.  The frogs also absorb a lot of party grief,  I think it would be pretty cool.  And there is nothing like telling the party trap disabler and general sneak about to "hop to it" and mean every word ::D:

Edited by Kangaroorex
  • Like 2

I think it would be cool as well and he has a picture for it. If he does the right markings it will even fit the running along the grass thing that ninjas do

I'm fully for passing in favor of SR. I want to say that once again.

If that's still the last spot? Idk. I'm so high on cold medicine right now.

But if I wind up in the party, I'm looking I think at a half-orc barbarian. I've never used archetypes, really, but I'm looking at either the Breaker (great background/character opportunities, I'm thinking) or the Armored Hulk (seems like a good tanking option).

• Like 1