I loved your Lem in the Beauty Pageant, he definitely deserves his own Show Off thread! 

The eyes are absolutely amazing!  The reflection on the flute is an especially nice touch, I played flute in Junior High as well.  ^_^

• Like 3

Yep, that's awesome.

Is there any chance you could post a shot of him at apx. arm's length? I'd love to see how he looks "on the table." Given the way you play with colors and shapes, I bet he looks fantastic.

• Like 2

These were all very lovely Pingo! I was impressed by the sheer volume of these lovely gnomes. You are very talented! :)

• Like 1

Yep, that's awesome.

Is there any chance you could post a shot of him at apx. arm's length? I'd love to see how he looks "on the table." Given the way you play with colors and shapes, I bet he looks fantastic.

Sure!  He wasn't involved in yesterday's game, but I had a chance to take some pictures in context to show how he looks and how his size compares.

I had lost track of how tiny these hobbits are.  He's centered in both pictures but may get a little lost in the second one.

post-8022-0-72351000-1425816528_thumb.jpg

post-8022-0-15427600-1425816536_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

knowing how small they are....  how in Gods name can you paint those eyes so nicely!!!!!    Do you use a 20x magnifying lens and some kinda high tech computerized paint brush for the brush control? :huh::upside:

as you can see I am impressed and only wish I could do that nicely. <_<

• Like 3

Well, he's certainly a colorful and very cheerful looking little fellow. You did an awesome job on him!

• Like 1

knowing how small they are....  how in Gods name can you paint those eyes so nicely!!!!!    Do you use a 20x magnifying lens and some kinda high tech computerized paint brush for the brush control? :huh::upside:

as you can see I am impressed and only wish I could do that nicely. <_<

I am a tad farsighted and as I have gotten older I've started to need glasses. Last time I had my eyes checked I explained about minis to my optometrist, and I now have two pairs of glasses, one for about six inches away to infinity and one that focuses only on things four to eight inches away.

My close-up glasses are good for most general paint work, but for really detailed work like little faces I use one of those head-mounted magnifying visors, an extremely cheap one from Amazon that has worked pretty well. Its description says it goes up to 10x, but I've not yet used all the lenses.

The rest is as steady a hand as I can manage, breath control, having some understanding of where I'm going with layers, and, not least important, a clean wet brush always at the ready and a ruthless willingness to immediately wipe away any paint stroke that doesn't work.

When doing careful things like faces I might end up wiping away about 3/4 of the brush strokes I attempt.

• Like 4

Thanks for the second photos! Your contrast works very well to define the shapes of these at a distance. I also really love your painted grass at that range. Beautiful stuff.

Also, quite a nice collection of dice. Did the totally ancient d8 give itself pride of place in the second shot, or did you put it there?

• Like 1

Thanks for the second photos! Your contrast works very well to define the shapes of these at a distance. I also really love your painted grass at that range. Beautiful stuff.

Also, quite a nice collection of dice. Did the totally ancient d8 give itself pride of place in the second shot, or did you put it there?

I put it there.  That's the oldest die I own.