ahayford

Fulfilling
Raging Heroes: Dark Elves and Sisters

2038 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I got another shipping wave. Everything except my knights and knight command arrived. Overall everything looks good. I took out the Dark elf incubi and flesh eaters to do first, along with the dark elf sorceress. Everything else is sisters.

So... The sorceress is gorgeous. No mold release issues, no miscast, no bubbles. She was fairly easy to put together.

The Incubi and Flesh eaters. They did not seem to have a shiny coat like the freebies did. The Incubi were a little shiny. I removed them all off their sprues and cleaned up the pieces. They came off the sprue easy and I did not snap any pieces off unintentionally. I separated each in so a tackle box square. The Flesh eaters came one to a sprue. The Incubi did for 5 or 6 of the models, and the others came on a sprue that had like 4 torsos and another that had 4 arms and 4 heads...

I only assembled two of the Incubi so far. They look really nice, and don't look much smaller than my other RH minis or Reaper. The weird thing is I saw someone post on Dakka a comparison with an Incubi and a space marine and they where the same height... the incubi looked much thinner and out of scale next to it... I put mine next to a space marine and it was a head taller and the scale looked much closer. I am not sure what that means... its pretty strange.

The problem I am having is my glue does not want to bond with the resin. The incubi have 2 part greatswords and its a pain in the elf holding them together to set. I clocked on at 23 minutes for just that part... Seriously painful. But once done, looks really nice.

So, I am happy with my order. And, if anyone can recommend something better than super glue I would appreciate it.  

Edited by Smokestack
2 people like this

Glue is a real problem for me, too. I have three different glues and each one works with some of the miniatures and fails completely with others. It's trial and error. I glued the angels together with one that really bonded quickly and tried the same with the Manticore - no bonding whatsoever.

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Even if they don't want to cast in metal I don't think they can avoid doing it. That would anger another portion of their backers. Even some of their resin only backers might see it as a broken promise or another slight against their supporters. They need to hold on to all the goodwill that they have left.

I'm very glad that I went in light, ordered everything I could in metal, and my resin figures look like they will be some of the last ones cast. Still a little concerned about possible connection points on the angels wings. Some people have said that a few figures have vents in hard places to fix, like covering the side of a face, including an ear. Sounds way beyond my skill level. 

Could you go into a little more detail about the angel wings? I'm still waiting for my angels to arrive because of the horses...... I'd appreciate knowing what kind of issues to expect when they arrive.

Edited by Balgin Stondraeg

1 hour ago, Balgin Stondraeg said:

Could you go into a little more detail about the angel wings? I'm still waiting for my angels to arrive because of the horses...... I'd appreciate knowing what kind of issues to expect when they arrive.

We're both in the same boat about the angels. I haven't gotten any minis yet. Just feeling a bit antsy about them. I've read that some people are getting them but I haven't seen any pictures of the sprues. They could well be perfect. Raging Heroes posted pictures of many production sprues a few months ago, just not the angels. They haven't posted much other than a few painted minis and 3D prints in the last couple updates. I'd just like to stumble upon a review video or some pictures of the production angel sprues. 

7 hours ago, Bathory said:

I don't know if it's intentional but these updates really seem to have a tone of "if you don't like the product you are dumb" 

they have so many positive comments, but in person and in emails, we just see the negative comments online and they have done what they can to fix it and all the resin is the same type so...

i am so turned off of this company at this point. The fact they act like having release agent that can't be removed is normal is crazy... they gave everyone instructions... what's the problem? 

Uh it's a sub-par product and you are an established company that should know how to make resin.... 

I am with you Bathory, for a company that sells expensive miniatures, one would think they care about the quality of their product and realize they are losing potential recurring customers.

The initial retail purchase I had of their orc was amazing. Simple to clean, crisp details, and no vents on important features. The freebies and the sisters that arrived in my first wave are lingering in a box and stored in a plastic container to be forgotten about until I clean that container out. -__-

3 people like this

26 minutes ago, pcktlnt said:

I am with you Bathory, for a company that sells expensive miniatures, one would think they care about the quality of their product and realize they are losing potential recurring customers.

The initial retail purchase I had of their orc was amazing. Simple to clean, crisp details, and no vents on important features. The freebies and the sisters that arrived in my first wave are lingering in a box and stored in a plastic container to be forgotten about until I clean that container out. -__-

I don't get this read at all.  I hear a company suffering from hard times and trying to keep people happy.  I also see someone with a vision that bit off more than they could chew.

As for release agents, it's one of the things I dislike about resin (to be honest, I don't know what anyone sees in the stuff)  I know of at least 2 companies that have had release agent issues (Impact comes leaping to mind) and the solutions are usually given and forgotten.

I don't particularly defend them but I understand their issues and problems and I'm willing to cut them a little slack.  And their prices are no worse than other resin miniatures I've seen.

My thoughts, take them as you will 

Roo

2 people like this

I took a pass on the KS but decided to drop by and see how things were going. There were a few I was interested in picking up at retail, but looking over the last three pages it seems they are having some production issues? 

Concerning the Angels: I received the fantasy command group in my second shipment. The wings were no problem (though I'm a bit afraid of painting and using those miniatures because I fear some of the parts might come off), but some vents were indeed in difficult places. But I could put them together with only minor headaches (something I cannot say for the Stingrays and some of the freebies).

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, CorallineAlgae said:

Even if they don't want to cast in metal I don't think they can avoid doing it. That would anger another portion of their backers. Even some of their resin only backers might see it as a broken promise or another slight against their supporters. They need to hold on to all the goodwill that they have left.

I'm very glad that I went in light, ordered everything I could in metal, and my resin figures look like they will be some of the last ones cast. Still a little concerned about possible connection points on the angels wings. Some people have said that a few figures have vents in hard places to fix, like covering the side of a face, including an ear. Sounds way beyond my skill level. 

I honestly don't think they care all that much, they've been pretty dismissive of any problems people have had with this Kickstarter.

I can just see them pushing the whole 'It's going to be ages before we start working on the metal heroines, but you could switch to resin versions and get them now.' angle for the next few updates, and then say that there's now not enough demand to justify a metal production run.

I'm just glad I ended up having to be financially responsible on this one, otherwise I'd have a ton of this stuff coming including one of those giant Harpy birdbath things.

11 hours ago, Knight of the Dinner Table said:

Concerning the Angels: I received the fantasy command group in my second shipment. The wings were no problem (though I'm a bit afraid of painting and using those miniatures because I fear some of the parts might come off), but some vents were indeed in difficult places. But I could put them together with only minor headaches (something I cannot say for the Stingrays and some of the freebies).

Thank you for letting us know about the angels. I was planing on painting up the fantasy angel command group & Erzebel on a large oval base for display in a cabinet. It sounds like they might work out okay for that. Were there vents in places that might make them unsuitable as nice display pieces? Unfortunately, there's no way that I could resculpt fine details. That's beyond my skill. I leave sculpting up to the sculptors. I'm still working on mastering glue. lol

14 hours ago, aku-chan said:

-clip-

I can just see them pushing the whole 'It's going to be ages before we start working on the metal heroines, but you could switch to resin versions and get them now.' angle for the next few updates, and then say that there's now not enough demand to justify a metal production run.

-clip-

They will make them, they can offer the extras for sale in their shop. This isn't just for KS backers you know. I have some of their metal minis, they are awesome and its one of the reasons I backed this.

11 hours ago, Leader of the Rats said:

They will make them, they can offer the extras for sale in their shop. This isn't just for KS backers you know. I have some of their metal minis, they are awesome and its one of the reasons I backed this.

It's just my pessimistic take on what they say in the latest update.

I've decided I can't really post in this thread lately, I'm just to upset about the whole thing and it gets far nastier than I care to post. I've deleted at least 5 drafts over the last couple weeks.

4 people like this

they aren't any later than any number of other kickstarters out there.  some of their resin issues are a pain, but I seem to remember there was a great hue and cry when they said there might be problems and wanted to draw back and retry, so they went with what they had and now they are getting crap for it.

Since then the miniatures seem to have gotten a better mixture and they are slowly making production (resin is a slow and painful process for any company, one of the reasons I hate the stuff) they have stated numerous times that they are putting metal to the end because its a different production run.  This is also quite true

I bought a set of their metal and resin miniatures from their shop before I kickstarted this so I knew what I was getting.  They are highly detailed and therefore their parts are incredibly fiddly.  the metal is a little less detailed but I think it is much easier to work with.  since I planned these for a sisterhood army, I am not overly concerned with high detail.

Overall, the haven't been the best KS I have ever dealt with but they are far from the bottom (drake has that honor).  their communication is different and they choose not to listen to the comments on kickstarter (I can't blame them, the foul sewer that is the KS comments section is really a home for trolls and other rotten life forms) but they do respond well to any questions or comments I have made on their website and were quick to assist when I had a problem and contacted them through their preferred channels..

I guess this is a long winded way of saying I understand the disappointment, but I don't get the hate. No they aren't Oathsworn or Reaper, but they aren't Drake or CSM either. As for attitude, has anyone tried to talk to customer support for GW about a problem?  Now there is attitude!

Just my thoughts, you can take them or leave them as you will.

Roo

4 people like this

Yes, they aren't any later than some other KS projects - which in itself is no excuse. Delays can happen, that's not what most people are angry about.

Communications: Could be worse (there is almost always somebody who does things even worse), but are far from good ... that together with the delay is in itself enough to make people unhappy.

The first miniatures I received were almost impossible to glue together, much less to paint because of the release agent problem. These are miniatures for the rubbish bin, but no replacements were offered despite the fault lying clearly in their field of responsibility. Furthermore, some of the resin was so brittle that it broke far too easily - and again their field of responsibility. Their second KS, they have been around long enough. They chose the company to do the castings (again a company with experience but also with a certain track record) - their field of responsibility.

Second batch of minis: better, less grease. But: gates/vents in places that are atrocious. You hardly can't get the parts off the sprue because the part is half the size of the vent - or because the vent flows almost seamlessly into some intricate detail. That's not fiddly, that's insulting.

Metal would be at the end of the production, they were clear about that - nothing to complain about.

Having had direct contact I also have to say they are quite pleasant to "talk" to and seem to be very helpful and fast with certain things (but see above).

The miniatures have the potential to be awesome, which makes the above criticism even worse. The price they are asking is reasonable for the detail, but not reasonable when you consider release agent problems and gates/vents and brittle resin.

2 people like this