ahayford

Fulfilling
Raging Heroes: Dark Elves and Sisters

2112 posts in this topic

I bought their existing resin and backed the KS expecting the product to be the same or very close to it. It isn't. I spent over $500 on something I am not happy with, sorry if I'm not all rainbows and sunshine. 

5 people like this

Like Bathory, I had bought a few boxes of their old stuff before deciding to split a pledge with a friend. I'm not as worried because I'm only in for maybe $100, I'm just confused by the sizable dip in quality from previous output.

So far I've been able to salvage about 90% of what I received, although with a lot of difficulty. I am a bit worried about what I'll see when the regular sisters, and the crucible sisters arrive. 

1 person likes this

For me it's not so much hate, more very disappointed.

While they haven't massively screwed up anything, there's been a lot of little things that have soured me on the whole thing.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

So...

Communication: I think the communication has been poor. Moving updates off site, not responding to comments in the kickstarter, not allowing the comments that are left on the non kickstarter page updates to be posted. The posting of only good comments with the "look all of our comments are positive and no one is complaining" spiel... And the feeling of condescension and dismissal of complaints when they are actually addressed. Overall, this is their biggest flaw IMO.

Models: I think they are nice and the quality is nice... but... either they are all beyond my skill level or I am doing something wrong. When it takes an hour to assemble 1 mini... That's not great... Once assemble they are gorgeous... but assembly is abysmal... I actually DREAD assembly for these... That should not be... I did get metal in RH1 for the heroes... I did not like the metal. The pieces like "arm with staff or arm with banner" were designed with resin in mind and were too heavy to stick to the body.. That's why I chose all resin this time.

Future: Would I back another RH kickstarter...? At this point I am leaning towards no, but I honestly don't know. Again I love the models. But assemble is so problematic that it makes these a nightmare.... Communication being what it is combined with massive delay... I don't know...

Opinions on what I have: Overall I am somewhat happy. I love the girls I have gotten.... They will be eventually assembled and used for something. There was real value in this kickstarter. its a shame that it went from a "must have" for me to a "maybe leaning towards no"...

image.jpg

Edited by Smokestack
5 people like this

Disappointment I can understand.  I have some pieces that I am not overly thrilled with either.  on the other hand, I seem to be one of the lucky ones who got a decent batch of the materials.  Either that or the same tricks that work for trollcast work for this stuff... (love the pony, hate the resin)

I should take a few more of these out and see, but what I got were the "freebies"  and, well, considering that I technically paid nothing for them, I consider it under an experiment on both sides. 

Whether I would order from them again depends entirely on what is being offered.  I doubt I would make a large purchase but more minis like the first KS might draw me back in again, and the promise of leaders in metal, might draw me in.  In either case it would take a really good discount or a truly incredible mini to make me purchase another resin piece.

well, so I did get one bit of good news today, the last of my TGG order shipped.

2 people like this

Would be nice, but I want metal so I get to wait...

If anyone's interested, I have had some luck with some of the more greasier of my "freebies" using a double coat of Vallejo grey paintable primer.  First coat looks like garbage, but the second coat seems to grab pretty well.  I will get some paint on and then we'll see.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I'm a bit worried about this "grease" stuff causing bubbling after the paint has been applied. Has that ever happened to anyone with resin before? I'm about to start painting them soon and I wonder if I should let them air a month longer to see if any extra seeps out.

Edited by Leader of the Rats
1 person likes this

15 minutes ago, Leader of the Rats said:

I'm a bit worried about this "grease" stuff causing bubbling after the paint has been applied. Has that ever happened to anyone with resin before? I'm about to start painting them soon and I wonder if I should let them air a month longer to see if any extra seeps out.

so far, all of mine either stuff stuck after the first washing or it didn't, I haven't had any that were good, then went bad.

I think it depends a lot on the primer used

I've had no problems using a rustoleum primer, but using other brands and the paint hasn't stuck, which appears as bubbling after the primer has set properly (2-3 days in my experience). I've seen exactly the same thing on car repairs when they haven't prepared the surface properly. 

I do tend to have a few days between priming and painting as well,  so any primer issues do come up before I paint

1 person likes this

On 4/21/2017 at 7:06 PM, Leader of the Rats said:

I've seen it with trollcast.  Sometimes you geto a perfect coat of primer that is literally a detached skin.  It looks good but after a week or so without additional paint, the stuff dries and stretches causing it to bubble or peel of the mini.  I'm waiting to see of this happens with the one above.

One of my impact minis did this and I was able to peel the entire paint job off the mini like a latex skin.  It was sort of creepy.  

As far as I know, the company doing the casting for Raging Heroes is the same that does the casting for Impact (and Trollcast)?

2 hours ago, Knight of the Dinner Table said:

As far as I know, the company doing the casting for Raging Heroes is the same that does the casting for Impact (and Trollcast)?

I did not know this. That could explain why one or two of the figures had the typical Trollcast grainy surface to it.

Got my order while in Scotland.. opened it last night and was missing one of my large angels.. everything else looks great.. none of them seem to be on those fancy new sprues though unless they were all cut free of them

4 hours ago, SamuraiJack said:

Got my order while in Scotland.. opened it last night and was missing one of my large angels.. everything else looks great.. none of them seem to be on those fancy new sprues though unless they were all cut free of them

None of them were on sprues? I'm guessing they were individually bagged. Do you think that will make them easier to assemble? The unboxing videos I've seen for the latest shipments show them on the sprues so that's a little surprising to hear.