ahayford

Fulfilling
Raging Heroes: Dark Elves and Sisters

2074 posts in this topic

I asked about the mounted knights and they're not ready yet.  I guess they fall under "monsters and machines"

3 hours ago, Orlando_the_Technicoloured said:

18342426_1470040266395293_88254329655504

these are the orphans and their supervisors, old style sprues rather than the new pizza slice sort, but not as greasy/slick as my freebies were so probably the new type of mould release, detail is good, resin seems solid, no obvious mould lines (but I've not cut them free and done any clean up and I don't notice them that well until I do)

I like them

Thank you so much for posting that pic. I didn't order many sets from this kickstarter but I ordered this one. Looking at it though, I'm hoping that I have the skill to put at least a couple of these together without breaking something. I'll definitely have to wait until a helpful (and highly skilled) gamer posts a step by step video showing how the tricky ones should be assembled.

2 hours ago, CashWiley said:

Boggles that they just cut a vent from the sword blade to a breast. That's an utter disregard for the end product to make things cast easier. Blah.

Well, nobody looks at a sword or female's breast on a painted mini.

I wonder if vents like that require us to somehow re-sculpt the details they cover? I hope the connection points are so thin that they only leave a mold line. Looks pretty scary.

14 hours ago, CorallineAlgae said:

I wonder if vents like that require us to somehow re-sculpt the details they cover? I hope the connection points are so thin that they only leave a mold line. Looks pretty scary.

Don't cut away then sculpt up. Cut the vent away further from the contour you want then carve down to it. Then, and only then, should you sculpt back up a little if necessary.

4 people like this

Yikes, they still use kind of a scary amount of lubricant on the resins. I put 2 davidians and an icarite in my ultrasonic cleaner to get them prepared to assemble.

The liquid in the cleaner had the same viscosity as soda when it was done.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the davidians and icarites, they build pretty well, and don't seem too overly fragile. 

the regular sisters fit together more poorly than expected and seem to suffer greatly from mold shift on their draperies. 

The elves are bad. All the weapons are significantly thinner than the vents they're attached to and are very likely to break as you are assembling.

3 people like this

16 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Yikes, they still use kind of a scary amount of lubricant on the resins. I put 2 davidians and an icarite in my ultrasonic cleaner to get them prepared to assemble.

The liquid in the cleaner had the same viscosity as soda when it was done.

I never considered using an ultrasonic cleaner for minis. Sounds like it might be a pretty good idea. Does it work better than the normal blue Dawn, warm water and a toothbrush method? I was considering getting a small one just to clean eyeglasses for the family along with the occasional odds and ends, but if it's good for resin and hard plastic minis it might be worth moving up the queue.

6 hours ago, CorallineAlgae said:

I never considered using an ultrasonic cleaner for minis. Sounds like it might be a pretty good idea. Does it work better than the normal blue Dawn, warm water and a toothbrush method? I was considering getting a small one just to clean eyeglasses for the family along with the occasional odds and ends, but if it's good for resin and hard plastic minis it might be worth moving up the queue.

I use it mostly for resins because it reduces the chances of snapping parts while scrubbing. it does about the same job as the other way. but the cleaner I use is kind of a cheep one

1 person likes this

Only missing my mounted knights and Asharah for this one.... I think I have made my decision though and unless something really irresistible comes, this is my last Raging Heroes KS... The models are gorgeous but too much of a PITA to put together.

1 person likes this

Ditto. Maybe if they offer a hand-poured resin option through a legit caster like GRX, I'll reconsider.

2 people like this

Missing the mounted knights, the chariot and all the metal heroines .... guess if I'm lucky, I'll see all that this year ... wouldn't be surprised if it's next year.

Well they can't do the metal to the very end ... but if you want to change to resin *eye roll* you know after all the fantastic things you've heard!

the larger minis look better then the smaller ones. Fingers crossed the rest of my shipment will have the most recent minis and won't have poorly cast rough textured resin covered in mold release. 

1 person likes this

After my experience with their resin, I'd rather wait a year for the metal miniatures - they can't be much worse. Seems like they're trying to get as many people to switch from metal to resin as they can ...

I'm also sticking with the metal minis. They're the only things holding up my order but I'm not about to switch them out for resin.