djizomdjinn

djizomdjinn's sculpting blog

Got myself some greenstuff, and some apoxie, and been playing around with it.

g2dgkfF.jpg

Face practice, in order from left to right. I don't know how people get straight Apoxie Sculpt to hold detail at those small sizes, I can't. Apoxie Green however, is my new favorite sculpting medium. Except for a thin base layer of GS to stick to the armature, I'm using it pretty much everywhere now. The rightmost face is right around Reaper-sized.

qIoCQIR.jpg

Starting at 54mm. I figure it's easier than going small right away. Some of you may recognize that armature reference card I have in the background.

oSCiNt4.jpg

Building up some more AG. Probably going to ditch that left miniature; I didn't think to sculpt the arms separately and add them later like I'm doing here. They're not really solidly attached at the moment, just sitting in two drilled holes. And they'll stay that way until it gets finished enough that I can join them permanently and smooth out the gaps.

Still trying to wrap around the fact that I can now make ANYTHING I WANT! Custom minis galore! Convert EVERYTHING!

Edited by djizomdjinn
  • Like 15

Kudos to you for taking the plunge on this!  I'm not sure how much experience in sculpture you already have, so unsure whether to compliment you on your already very well honed skills, or on your natural talent, but either way, it looks like you're definitely on the right track to making some really awesome custom minis!

Still trying to wrap around the fact that I can now make ANYTHING I WANT! Custom minis galore! Convert EVERYTHING!

Nice Feeling ^_^

Nice Feeling ^_^

Right up until you get to the point where you work for mini companies, then your dance card is punched pretty much continually and all your own projects start collecting dust.

(Not complaining mind you, I'm just still bowled over at how quickly I went from sculpting what I wanted and trying to get companies to take my sculpts to having more commission offers than I can handle and having to turn people down on occasion.)

• Like 7

having more commission offers than I can handle

must be horrible  ^_^

Sorry, that didn't really come out the way I intended it.  :huh:  It was supposed to be encouraging.

• Like 2

having more commission offers than I can handle

must be horrible  ^_^

Sorry, that didn't really come out the way I intended it.  :huh:  It was supposed to be encouraging.

i know  :;):

• Like 1

Is Apoxie Green a mix of greenstufff + apoxie, or just green colored Apoxie? I've tried Apoxie and I didn't get on with it very well so I went back to GS.

I presume he means Apoxie/Green Stuff mix.  Try a bend of 2/3 Green Stuff to 1/3 Apoxie sculpt.  The Apoxie relaxes the GS and gives it the ability to be tooled when hard.  However, it doesn't stretch like GS does, so it is not (IMHO) quite as good at things like faces where you want the elasticity of the GS to aid you in making realistic expressions.

I use various blends for different things, going as high as 1/3 GS to 2/3 Apoxie for underpinning, weapons that I want to sand into shape, and bases.  I never use pure Apoxie though, too messy.  Note that the more Apoxie you use, the more brittle the final will be.  I don't use it for things that need to flex (like feet do when removed from a cork).

• Like 4

I presume he means Apoxie/Green Stuff mix.

Yep. I use 50/50, it helps me estimate very accurately how much I'll be mixing up, since 50/50 green stuff and 50/50 apoxie mixed together makes 4 times the first part of whatever (I always grab GS hardener first). Odd how it's almost the exact shade of wasabi.

Straight Apoxie Sculpt I can see being very good for terrain, and other big and hard-surfaced things, but it's too brittle to use at ~30mm scale for characters and props. I suppose you could use it as a final layer, taking advantage of that beautiful water-smoothing property it has... but AG does that too.

Did you know you can carve it with a hobby knife once cured?

7E2mQvL.jpg

At first I was going to sculpt the face separately, wait for it to cure, and then glue it on with more AG... but then I figured YOLO, and sculpted it right on top. It came out okay I guess, more intense features than I wanted, and her mouth geometry is a bit borked. Worst case scenario, I can do a head or face transplant later.

Anyways, I was waiting for it to dry, and watching epoxy cure is not very exciting...

49XdWti.jpg

So I decided to try out a 28mm sculpt. Either I got my print scale slightly off, or Reaper minis are more of a heroic 28mm, because she was too small, compared side-by-side with a Reaper mini sitting around.

First time I've sculpted something too small. Anyways, it was an easy fix.

My concept painting (also my avatar):

9u9rIJE.jpg

Edited by djizomdjinn
  • Like 3

8vMywPX.jpg

54mm has collarbones! Also a bit of face tweaking. Collarbones revealed that I hadn't balanced her out quite right, so I had to give her a mastectomy. I have to say, I didn't really have any solid concept in mind other than "sculpt and fix whatever you screw up and hopefully you'll get better at sculpting". Anyone have any suggestions?

28mm has arms! Now, the next part would be the cape; can't plop on the head until I get that done. My first inclination was to use more armature wire...

Ir1f5ic.jpg

It's only 24 ga, but it still looks awfully thick. If only I had some sort of flexible, slightly stiff, thin sheet of sheet metal... like a foil...

bIXhSRz.jpg

Splat. I probably should have done both sides. Well, it's an experiment. I'll see how it goes.

wHSeH5y.jpg

A lovely new cape, waiting to cure.

Edited by djizomdjinn
  • Like 5

So, the foil doesn't really work as an armature. The Apoxie Green peels away from it. Fortunately, it works fine as a mold of sorts, and when it peeled away it kept that same cape shape. A second layer of AG stiffened it up enough I was comfortable putting it on the mini, and a nice sharp hobby knife gave it crisp edges and sharp corners.

1WzYqeX.jpg

Note to self: Leaving extra wire on the neck so you can sculpt a head on it later is a great idea. Sculpting a head on wire to add to mini later is also a great idea. Doing both at the same time is a horrible idea.

Got a full set of clay shapers! I already knew how wonderful they were, as I had an extra firm small chisel point I bought a while ago for something else, and it quickly became my most used tool. But a full set makes smoothing and texturing much easier.

I swear my cell phone camera is better than my actual camera. I should retake pics of my Pearl and see if she comes out better.

P.S. Ah yes, I've also been working on a third fig while waiting for the cape to set; this one's a knight in armor, as an exercise in sculpting smooth, hard forms. Pics will have to wait though, and I'm debating splitting that one into another thread.

Edited by djizomdjinn
  • Like 2

ZUB6VtQ.jpg

The end of my first mini is in sight!

Added an extra corner to the cape so it furls around more by trimming a corner out of AG cured into thin sheet, and then attached using more AG. Her hairstyle sat too high on her head, added some bangs.

Sculpted most of the staff first on a wire support, attached it in place with two small blobs of AG on the wrist stumps, and then sculpted them into hands. I think I'll trim back the armature wire to only the palms next time; I ran into it when I was sculpting fingers and I had to work with it.

The staff tassel is comically oversized compared to the concept art, but I don't really mind too much. What does bother me is that 24 ga wire is still too thick for that tassel, but what's done is done. I'll try to pick up some 26 or 28 for next time. Also the staff looks a bit too much like bone and not enough like bamboo to me, but that's an easy fix.

Oh, I don't think I mentioned this, but that carved circle on the clamp is a 1" circle (traced Reaper base). The large clamp is, of course a Large (2") Reaper base. If I ever decide to sculpt at Huge or above, I'm going to need new clamps.

Things to do:

Define the feet.

Smooth out whatever isn't too bulky already.

Bulk out the middle of the staff so it's more cylindrical.

Things to remember for the next mini:

Work in larger sections, so there's less joining required, hopefully resulting in a smoother mini.

Decide what attachment method I'm going to use for parts sculpted separately earlier.

Be more patient. A lot of the roughness can be attributed to not waiting long enough and sculpting something else, only to not have any place I could touch the mini in order to smooth out what I'd done.

• Like 8

Okay, it was really bugging me that I didn't have that fringe on the edge of her cape, since to me, that makes the cloak a lot more unique and distinctive.

6iDSNbW.jpg

Bug squashed.

So I rolled out a long tube of AG, splatted it on some foil, and then made the pattern using a flat chisel clay shaper. 5 hours later, I peeled the partially cured, but still flexible strip of new fringing off the foil, "glued" it to the edge of the cape with some pure GS rolled into a tube on the edge of the cloak, and then blended it in once it cured in place with some more AG. I think this is a good demonstration to myself at least that the foil technique does work, both for sheets and strips of "fabric". With about 2 to 3 laminated layers of putty, the edges look like a lasanga... but no one will see those anyways. And if that really bugged me, I could smooth it over with more putty. Which I'm not going to do. Either way, the cape is now rock solid and as hard as anything else on the mini.

While her thighs are puttied together for structural integrity, her shins aren't, so I decided to pull her right leg out a bit to give the impression of weight from the longer bottom end of the staff.

Also did the stuff on the things to do list.

Okay, NOW I'm done.

Critiques, comments, suggestions, guys? Quintuple posting makes me feel lonely.

• Like 10