Heisler

So You Are Thinking of Entering the Painting Competition at ReaperCon

All you can do with the gallery is submit your piece and see what they think. I'm not sure what the approval process is.

• Like 1

Would it be poor form to ask judges for their opinion on your work prior to entering it in the competition?

Mmm, interesting question, I'm not sure that one has been asked before. I don't think its an issue. Although I would expect a judge that feels like they are to close to your piece after that conversation to step away and have the alternate step in if they don't feel they can be objective about it at that point. That being said I'm not going to list the judges (and some of those spots haven't been filled yet, although we have a list). I would be more comfortable if you just went down the artist row and asked who ever was handy, rather than ask them because they are judging.

• Like 2

Would it be poor form to ask judges for their opinion on your work prior to entering it in the competition?

Mmm, interesting question, I'm not sure that one has been asked before. I don't think its an issue. Although I would expect a judge that feels like they are to close to your piece after that conversation to step away and have the alternate step in if they don't feel they can be objective about it at that point. That being said I'm not going to list the judges (and some of those spots haven't been filled yet, although we have a list). I would be more comfortable if you just went down the artist row and asked who ever was handy, rather than ask them because they are judging.

Mm, I think I kind of meant to ask the artists in general. But it wouldn't be weird to go to an artist and ask how your mini would place, or how to improve your placing?

• Like 1

I don't think I would ask that question, I would just ask for their opinion on your work and if there is anything you can improve. Remember there are three judges looking at each entry and they don't discuss their scores with each other. The only person that knows what each piece is going to receive is the person that tabulated the numbers.

• Like 3

I would definitely prefer not to be asked questions about placement prior to the contest judging. It's a different atmosphere/lighting/frame of mind. I also feel like if we said one placement in advance and then actually gave a different placement value during the judging, that would open the door to resentment and misunderstanding, and it could turn into an unpleasant situation all around.

If I give more than a few minutes of feedback on a piece, particularly if I know the painter, I step aside and ask for the alternate. So I guess don't try to wring loads of detailed feedback out of every artist, or you might run out of judges. ;->

Also, don't assume only the guest list artists have feedback to offer. I have received useful feedback from painters of varying levels and renown, and even from non-painters. So don't be afraid to swap opinions with other attendees you become friendly with, or to show stuff to local friends and family before you even leave for the convention.

• Like 12

"So if you have spent as much time on the base as the miniature and want it considered as part of your score then this is the category for you."

Something I've never been quite sure about...can a single stock model (no conversions) with a more elaborate base go in the Open Category, or should it go in the Painter Category? My apologies if this has already been answered and I just didn't see it. 

• Like 2

My Kaladrax is basically stock with some green stuff 'decoration' and an elaborate base, and I was told he was good for Open :)

• Like 2

"So if you have spent as much time on the base as the miniature and want it considered as part of your score then this is the category for you."

Something I've never been quite sure about...can a single stock model (no conversions) with a more elaborate base go in the Open Category, or should it go in the Painter Category? My apologies if this has already been answered and I just didn't see it. 

If you want the base (presentation) to be a larger impact on your score then put it in Open. In painter the effort on the base is not considered to a significant extant (although a poor base, or a base that appears as an after thought can hurt your entry).

• Like 3

I'm deliberately bumping this thread up. We are now less than a year a way from ReaperCon and its time to start thinking about those entries. I have gone back and reviewed the thread and I don't see anything that is not relevant within it so bookmark it and come here first to see if your question has been answered. 

• Like 5

So as it currently is, ReaperCon 2016 will have the same categories and criteria?

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 1

Thanks for the bump.  This is a great thread, and I intend to enter for the first time this year so I need to start deciding what to enter and how.

Regarding the people asking for judge type opinions, last year I caught Anne after everything was awarded and I asked if she would go into the room and answer a few questions, which she kindly did.  One question I had was why a particular piece by an artist wasn't the one chosen to be judged, because I thought it was crazy good.  She pointed out for me some things I never would have noticed regarding why one piece was better overall from that painter.  It helped me really understand what they are looking for.  Flashy isn't always better, sometimes it's just plain old consistent quality in blending and technique.

• Like 7

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By NomadZeke
      [MOD]Please use the full SKU and name of Reaper minis in the titles of your Show Off threads, per forum guidelines. You can find this information on the blister card or in the online store. I also like to give credit to the sculptor in a tag, so people can find their favorites.

We have a high volume of posts generated from this challenge, which is great! But it's also creating a lot of work for the mods. Ladystorm has already urged folks to comply with these guidelines.[/MOD]

As an experiment, this project has been moved to be a bi-monthly challenge last year, that seemed to have worked so until further notice that is our format. The longer time frame theoretically will give less stress to painting, and allow more complex jobs, and more sinister challenges.

FAQ
      Reaper only? - No.
      If going on vacation, can I paint a mini(s) ahead to cover that time frame? - Yes.
      Are speed paints acceptable - Yes.
      Can it be a mini started previously? - Yes.
      Based or unbased? - Yes.
      Do minis for exchanges count? - Yes.

NEW RULE - Size Equivilancy
      (This list is subject to change as bones 3 releases)
      Medium and smaller = 1 ea
      Simple Terrain (plain floors, walls) = 1ea
      Complex Terrain (http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Terrain/latest/03518 or such) = 2 ea
      Large (Giants and the like) = 2 ea
      Huge (Most dragons, Demon Minotaur Lord, etc) = 3 ea
      Bigger (Kally, Khanjirra, etc) = half of quota – rounded up
      Colossal ("Tianot,") = quota

Due to the variable nature of a CAV I compare them against a generic 28mm figure and the Avatar large figure. I take height and bulk into considering if it is worth 1 or 2 figures.
      If it's not in this list, it counts as 1.

If you have a question on the size, please post it here, and I'll address them individually.

Much like last year, the idea is to help those of us that normally paint VERY little, to start painting more.

You challenge begins...now!

And Our Mantra:

Participants:
      If your name is missing, or you believe your count is incorrect, please PM me. Please note: to make counts easier, you must post in the bi-monthly thread.

The objective:
      To paint 52+ minis throughout the course of the year via bi-monthly quota
      (each bi-monthly thread will have the quota listed as well as the master list)

What qualifies:
      Darn near anything!
      Reaper/non-reaper!
      Any material!
      Shelf of shame minis from ages long forgotten!
      Exchange minis!
      Speed paints!
      Armies! (Though I'd encourage perhaps something outside the army as well)
      Any Size!
      Based/unbased!
      Etc! (I think that covers everything)

Jan/Feb: 8: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/78658-janfeb-rpchallenge/
      March/April: 9: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/79997-marchapril-rpchallenge/
      May/June: 9 Oops.
      July/August: 9:
      Sept/Oct: 8:
      Nov/Dec: 9: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/82946-end-of-year-rpchallenge-oct-nov-dec/

Again, I request that when tagging your posts, please use "RPChallenge" to help with locating minis from this.
    • By NomadZeke
      Pretty certain at this point I fell off the wagon got ran over by it, then chased it down and set it on fire (given the drought of these - explanation is in the chatter thread)

Please see the main post here for rules, questions and general chatter, while using this thread to keep a list of links to your show-offs or show-off related comments in a single post: A reminder to please adhere to miniatures posting guidelines as usual.
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/78657-resolutionary-painting-challenge-2018-chatterquestions/
      All the information you need should be here.

Due to the delay, there is going to be a normal and hard challenge for each month.

Your challenge is: 13!

October Bonus: This is Halloween! - Paint a mini using only colors that have black, orange, and purple in the name. You may also use "Fresh Blood" and "Spectral White" as they are part of the monthly promotion.
      Hard mode: Jack-o-lantern's light - Paint a mini where the only source of light would be coming from inside a jack-o-lantern. Pumpkin may be part of the mini/base or sculpted

November Bonus: Festive feast - Since both US And Canada have their Thanksgiving in this time bracket - paint up a mini (figure or terrain) to have some food being presented
      Hard mode: Liquid Cheer - This can be done with the above - paint a mini where it's holding a drinking vessel - but paint it as though the mug were glass and you could see the drink inside from the sides (in theme - ale or wine is the best use)

December Bonus: Winter Solstice - To celebrate the shortest day of the year - paint a halfling or dwarf decked in wintry colors (think blues/grays/whites, maybe brown and a little bit of evergreen)
      Hard Mode: Gift wrapped - paint a mini with any inorganic parts (metal, cloth, etc) being done to resemble giftwrap - little candy canes, trees, text, stripes, etc - bows optional

Good luck

The game is made up and the points don't matter
    • By Heisler
      This is the second in a series of four posts each concentrating on a different entry category. You can find information about the scoring system itself in the Painter Division post. From here forward I will just concentrate on how the component guidelines apply to the other three divisions.

Open Division
      The Open Division is far more of a freeform division than the Painter Division. Here is where you get to really strut your stuff with major conversions and scratch sculpts. If you have just a single entry then the judges can just go ahead and score your entry, no discussion is necessary. If you have multiple entries, then there will be a discussion between the judges on which entry they want to score. That conversation is typically the only conversation although these discussions tend to be longer than they might be in the Painter Division.  However, when selecting the scoring entry the conversation is still based on “I can score this one higher than the others” or words to that affect, till they come to a decision just as it would be for the Painter Division. If multiple entries are visually very thematic the judges may decide to judge them together as a single entry.

Let’s take a quick look at the scoring guidelines the judges use (which is published as part of the MSP Open rules):
      Difficulty: 15%
      Creativity: 10%
      Workmanship: 30%
      Painting Skill: 30%
      Presentation: 15%

What does this mean for the Open Division? In this division we are really want to see all your skills. While the components remain the same the emphasis has obviously changed a great deal.

Difficulty: This is far more intuitive than it is in the Painter Division. The level of difficulty depends entirely on the difficulty of the conversion, with a minor conversion being the least difficult with graduations on up from there with a complete scratch sculpt being the most difficult.

Creativity: Creativity stays about the same as it does for Painter. Painting is still a factor here. Now painting is combined with your ability to convert and sculpt to reach your audience. The entrant’s imagination comes into play here, you are looking for impact on the audience. Are you straining the boundaries of believability or are you trying to evoke a specific emotion from your viewers? Have you achieved what you set out to do at the end?

Workmanship: This remains a pretty straightforward component but in the Open Division there is a higher emphasis on it. It reflects how well constructed the entire piece is. Any type of non-painting effort is represented here. Again a well done conversion means that the judge can’t tell that anything has been converted. A scratch sculpt should be properly proportioned and well sculpted (no thumb prints!). A missed mold line, poor assembly or a poorly executed conversion could easily drop you a while numeric value in the scoring. This is a category that we really encourage documentation, show us what you did and how you did it.

Painting Skill: Everything that was said about painting still applies in the Open Division but there is less emphasis. At this point workmanship and painting are equal. While we don’t expect your abilities to be exactly equal in both areas you cannot count on your ability to paint alone to carry you over the top.

Presentation:  There is more emphasis on the is component as well. If you are building the entire entry, essentially from scratch then the presentation of your entry is going to have a significant impact on how a viewer perceives your entry. Bring your entry to life!
    • By Rat13
      I've made no secret about my opinions on Games Workshop. Though my painting box is full of their miniatures they were always bought second and sometimes third hand (I never wanted GW to get any of my money). Even my previous Cadians were bought from my local games store that has no affiliation with GW (I also know those sets and blisters came with the business when it was bought almost twenty years ago). Now I find myself in the unique position of building a Cadian army.

My wife and I used to play weekly in D&D Adventure League but with the birth of our first child it looks like that won't be possible (We want to continue gaming at our current store but its a bit of drive and the kid is at the rolling stage so she doesn't want to be held or sit in her seat; she wants to be on the floor and we all know what gameshop floors are like). I've offered to watch the child so she can go or to switch off each week but she only wants to go together. Gaming together has always been part of our relationship, and she doesn't want to lose that. I couldn't agree more, its good to share a hobby with your spouse.

That's when our friends started trying to recruit us to play Warhammer 40K with them. At first I was resistant but our friends get together often to play and in our area its always possible to find a game (Depending on the size it can be played fairly quickly in comparison to D&D too). After some discussion we decided 40K would give me something to paint, but it would also give us both something to play and eventually something to play together.

Which brings us to this new project. Since I figured watching me assemble miniatures would be pretty boring I'm starting this thread right before I prime them. So here is most of my assembled starter set (I've got quite a few cheap sets of bits arriving over the next couple weeks and I'm not exactly sure what unit I'd like to create next so that's why I have so many unfinished figures).

I'm still not a big fan of GW but having an excuse to see our friends more often is pretty nice. In a way we're kinda trading one gaming group for another (that sounds pretty mean but I think you understand what I'm saying).
    • By Chris Palmer
      I bought into the recent Terrain Crate Kickstarter; getting the Dungeon Crate, and the Battlefield Crate, along with the Dark Lord's Tower set.  My Terrain Crate shipment arrived in the early Summer, and I immediately painted two of the large tents that came with the "Campsite" portion of the Battlefield Crate to use in a game I did at Historicon.  Recently, I've been painting some of the "Abandoned Mine" stuff from the Dungeon Crate, as I am preparing for a game a friend and I are doing at Fall-In using our Tablescapes Dungeon Mines sets.    

I thought I'd start a thread to chronicle the pieces I paint, to help me keep track, and to help keep me motivated to keep plowing through.  There's a lot of pieces!   I hope to use a bunch of it in my Fall-In game, so have some motivation there as well.

Big Tents:

The Terrain Crate stuff goes great with the Tablescapes Dungeon Mines sets.

Explosives:

Tool Racks:

• Who's Online   31 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)