SamuraiJack

Delayed
GNL Mats by GameNightLife

222 posts in this topic

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamenightlife/gnl-mats?ref=category_newest

About this project

GameNightLife is a small group of gaming enthusiasts. We really are that scrappy, upstart startup that you think about: no marketing team, no "social media experts," no businesspeople. Just a few people who have so much fun with tabletop gaming that we want to share it with the world.

So, because of that, we're happy to finally be able to give everyone something we always wanted---a gaming tile that:

• Can cover any size or shape table.
  • Works with any kind of marker.
  • Cleans up easily and quickly.
  • Withstands spills and "snackccidents."
  • Lets you have a proper chase scene.
  • Doesn't slide around on the table.
  • Is affordable.

f58b9c1d6682262ec07dfd252180ee46_origina

This whole project is simple and to-the-point, the way we think gaming stuff should be.

Our Goal:

We're asking for $50,000 because that is the absolute minimum required for a production run. The factory can't make these for a reasonable price without the massive order.

We know that many people have voiced a desire for a mat like this, so we feel confident that we will meet our goal.

We are even more confident in our ability to deliver the product in a timely manner (possibly even ahead of schedule). The production facility is ready to start as soon as the Kickstarter concludes. Production will take 1 to 2 months, depending on the size of our order. Shipping is expected to take about 4 weeks (literally depending on weather, and other factors, including the size of the order)

Edited by Darsc Zacal
Tag updated
1 person likes this

Tempted to get this for the hubs. Someone drew a type of organ on his mat (not me) in permanent marker since someone else said all markers came off the mat.  

Sometimes beer and D&D aren't the best combo :)

7 people like this

Interesting. I just don't like the Chessex Battlemats, as I've just never seen one that wasn't smudged, and I honestly feel a little tacky with my self-laminated mats. Thought about the tact-tiles or what's-it a while back but didn't pull the trigger. Will keep an eye on this.

That is AWESOME! I am going to contemplate this sucker!

Interesting. I'll watch this one.

Tempted to get this for the hubs. Someone drew a type of organ on his mat (not me) in permanent marker since someone else said all markers came off the mat.  

Sometimes beer and D&D aren't the best combo :)

Have you tried going over it with a dry or wet erase marker?  sometimes permanent ink will come off if you use the erasable ink over top of it.. we use rubbing alcohol to get sharpie off wood furniture so maybe that would work?

I wish these came in 6/12/24 instead of 5/10/20...

5 people like this

I forget what we tried using to get rid of it, but the wet erase over sounds like a good idea. 

Magnets!

The front page (at least when I read it at the beginning) did not mention magnets. There are magnets in the middle of each edge to hold the tiles together.

Also, watch the FAQ video. No, really, watch the FAQ video - they're flexible, and the guy pours boiling water and bleach and stuff on them and they take no damage.

Someone drew a type of organ on his mat (not me) in permanent marker . . .

Was it a Steinway?

On topic, these look pretty cool. Now time for some math to figure out how many I'd need. I, too, strongly considered the tact-tiles KS way back when, but never pulled the trigger. I really like the price on these, and the magnet edges are a nice touch.

I was wondering if there was SOME way to mark them in a permanent way.  The reason I ask is that we often stop gaming in the middle of a battle and having the squares or hexes numbered help keep track of where people are until the next week (or many weeks) session.  Then I could label each map with a unique letter, and then number the hexes and squares on each.  That let's me say the cleric was at B56, the fighter at A24, etc.

I asked them the question of course and will see what they reply.

I was wondering if there was SOME way to mark them in a permanent way.  The reason I ask is that we often stop gaming in the middle of a battle and having the squares or hexes numbered help keep track of where people are until the next week (or many weeks) session.  Then I could label each map with a unique letter, and then number the hexes and squares on each.  That let's me say the cleric was at B56, the fighter at A24, etc.

I asked them the question of course and will see what they reply.

We take pictures. It's possible you can mark them semi-permanently by simply carefully avoiding wiping the surface when you pack them up. That way, you can just put "fighter", "rogue", "ork #1", etc. on the map when you pack it up.

3 people like this

I've done the pictures also.  Cell phones work great.  But nice to have the numbers like the current Chessex map does.  But I could live without it.  These do look really good.

1 person likes this

Reminder set.

I'm backing this.  I asked a question about shipping to Canada and got a very prompt reply: Good news!  They are using USPS not UPS. 

1 person likes this