SamuraiJack

GNL Mats by GameNightLife

3 hours ago, HornedTurtle said:

You could switch you order to all square parchment to get something and then try to resell them.

I'm seriously considering exactly that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I'm seriously considering exactly that.

Same.

• Like 1

Me too.  The only thing holding me back is that I really wanted the 1.25" mats, but 1" mats won't kill me.  It's a hard choice either way. 

• Like 1

I backed this as a birthday present for my wife. It's been two and a half years, and she still really wants these. She hasn't been thrilled with my Tact-Tiles, although I like them just fine...

• Like 1

I'm just going to wait it out.  Have something else coming now that will likely be better for my needs, but these will still have plenty of use.

• Like 1

Waiting also.  1/2 my order was parchment squares.  The other 1/2 was parchment hexes.  So I'll get 1/2 of them here soon.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Harrek said:

Waiting also.  1/2 my order was parchment squares.  The other 1/2 was parchment hexes.  So I'll get 1/2 of them here soon.

Did you pay for extra shipping to split your order? Because otherwise they'll wait until the whole thing is available to ship. (See the next-to-last update for more info if you don't have it.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Did you pay for extra shipping to split your order? Because otherwise they'll wait until the whole thing is available to ship. (See the next-to-last update for more info if you don't have it.)

Yes, paid for the extra shipping.  I actually paid months ago when he first announced only the square parchment would be in the first batch.

Edited by Harrek
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, terminalmancer said:

I backed this as a birthday present for my wife. It's been two and a half years, and she still really wants these. She hasn't been thrilled with my Tact-Tiles, although I like them just fine...

Out of interest, why doesn't she like your Tact-Tiles?

15 hours ago, SamuraiJack said:

I haven't been thrilled with my Tact-Tiles either.  I'll be really happy to have these.

Same question, what don't you like about your Tact-Tiles?

I've been using mine for 2 1/2 years now and after a couple of months had issues with staining and ghosting on the tiles. This was despite using the low-odour Expo dry-erase markers like the creator suggested (and I even did a test to see which marker colours were hardest to remove and have not used those colours).

The white magic eraser sponges can remove the staining, but also can take off the marked out lines (although I've had the lines rub off in spots where I've cleaned them with just a cloth too.

Overall I think they are a great product in concept and they've been so much better to use than a battlemat or flip-mat, but I just wish they weren't so hard to get clean.

On the plus side, I've found them to be really, really durable. The tiles themselves haven't broken or anything like that (not that I'd expect hard plastic would). In comparison, I also bought the Gaming Paper dry erase tiles. Now the Gaming Paper tiles were a lot cheaper and made from a sort of laminated cardboard, so I didn't expect them to be as good as the Tact-Tiles from a durability perspective.

However, I have found that the edges of the Gaming Paper tiles have started to separate after just a handful of uses and their fit is nowhere near as good. If I had to pick between the two, I'd go for Tact-Tiles, despite the higher price.

I'm still interested in getting some of these GNL tiles, just to see what they are like but, given the delays I'm not sure when that may be.

We have basically the same issues you've noticed, with the dry erase being a bit tough to get off. I think the quality of the surface is a bit low and it isn't perfectly smooth, leading to sort of a staining effect even though the tiles don't seem to actually be permeable. If I dump enough rubbing alcohol on the tiles I can get the ink off, but my wife's not a huge fan of having to go through that whole "scraping the ink off" thing.

• Like 1

For me its the weight and the staining and the limited type of markers you can use.    Plus I worry about drawing up a map a day or three beforehand and then not being able to get it off the tile again.  The GNL tiles and even the Gaming Paper ones seem to lend themselves much better to quick wipe off and redraw.. Tact Tiles do not.  If I have a limited map for an entire session they would be fine.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olaf the Stout said:

Out of interest, why doesn't she like your Tact-Tiles?

Same question, what don't you like about your Tact-Tiles?

I've been using mine for 2 1/2 years now and after a couple of months had issues with staining and ghosting on the tiles. This was despite using the low-odour Expo dry-erase markers like the creator suggested (and I even did a test to see which marker colours were hardest to remove and have not used those colours).

The white magic eraser sponges can remove the staining, but also can take off the marked out lines (although I've had the lines rub off in spots where I've cleaned them with just a cloth too.

Overall I think they are a great product in concept and they've been so much better to use than a battlemat or flip-mat, but I just wish they weren't so hard to get clean.

On the plus side, I've found them to be really, really durable. The tiles themselves haven't broken or anything like that (not that I'd expect hard plastic would). In comparison, I also bought the Gaming Paper dry erase tiles. Now the Gaming Paper tiles were a lot cheaper and made from a sort of laminated cardboard, so I didn't expect them to be as good as the Tact-Tiles from a durability perspective.

However, I have found that the edges of the Gaming Paper tiles have started to separate after just a handful of uses and their fit is nowhere near as good. If I had to pick between the two, I'd go for Tact-Tiles, despite the higher price.

I'm still interested in getting some of these GNL tiles, just to see what they are like but, given the delays I'm not sure when that may be.

You’re more than welcome to mine at ks cost, whenever I finally get them. :/

Edited by Baphomet69