Heisler

CMPA's Moving to Third Saturday Painting - Denver CO

4 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Do the tournaments bring in that much?

Well they bring in more than us as most folks I THINK don't buy much.  I buy something from them each time, but I am not sure if everyone does.  

Just now, skippen said:

Well they bring in more than us as most folks I THINK don't buy much.  I buy something from them each time, but I am not sure if everyone does.  

I drop a fair chunk about every other time I'm in there.  Usually on paints.  Last time was a clearance Kyphraxis.  Granted $35 bucks isn't a ton, but it's a good chunk for me these days.  They keep dropping lines & games I care about, but they seem to be devolving into mostly cards & board games, with miniature taking a distant third.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, skippen said:

I try to when I'm there.  Heck, with Rose there I got at least some snacks, some more medium, and the unicorn she painted.

• Like 1

I always get at least a few paints when I'm there. Last time I snagged a Kaladrax. I'm sad that they got rid of the Reaper minis though. Wiz Kids is fine, but I want the variety. And the more specialty brands like the GuildBall stuff is too pricey for splurge dropping on a whim. 

If they are ditching mini stuff, I'll have to find a new FLGS. I don't like the shops closest to me - almost exclusively Citadel/Warhammer/GWS stuff. 

• Like 1

3rd Satruday is officially at Hobbytown this Saturday.

9120 Wadsworth Pkwy, Westminster, CO 80021

• Like 1

Reminder for paint meetup tomorrow:  We'll be at HobbyTown: 9120 Wadsworth Pkwy, Westminster, CO 80021

• Like 1

Hey everyone! Unfortunately, Total Escape Games is booked up with a Star Wars tournament of some sort and we've been bumped. We'll be being at HobbyTown in Westminster again.

After a week of battling a cold, I seem to have managed to obtain pink eye.  Hence, I will not be there.

• Sad 2

My brother in law decided to drop in for a visit on very short notice.  Consequently I'll be keeping him entertained instead of y'all.  :wacko:

• Like 1

This Saturday is painting, but we are currently looking for a location.  TEG is once again booked, our normal alternate HobbyTown appears to be full.  They have room in their Longmont store, but I don't think many of us would make it there.  It doesn't matter to me if its in Longmont (same amount of drive for me),  but most of our membership isn't willing to drive that far.

We will keep you updated as we learn more.

Sad news all. After a valiant effort of Nathan Doyle, we haven't been able to secure a location for this month's meetup. Coupled with Starfest this weekend, the weekend after a long workshop, we also have a lot of folks that will be absent.

So, this month's 3rd Saturday meetup is cancelled. We will see you all next month!

Next month though we are back at Total Escape Games. 

Reminder.  Third Saturday paint meetup is this Saturday at 10:30 at Total Escape Games.  Remember to bring your party member for Let's Get Adventurous if you did that.  I will see you Saturday!

• Like 1

Sadly, my daughter's got a dance lesson Saturday, so I can't make it.  Maybe in June?  Depends.

Warning for June: weekend overlaps with Denver ComicCon. Selfishly, I hope to keep that weekend or go to 2nd Saturday in June as it likely will be my last time there (travel and moving after that). 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By NomadZeke
      [MOD]Please use the full SKU and name of Reaper minis in the titles of your Show Off threads, per forum guidelines. You can find this information on the blister card or in the online store. I also like to give credit to the sculptor in a tag, so people can find their favorites.

We have a high volume of posts generated from this challenge, which is great! But it's also creating a lot of work for the mods. Ladystorm has already urged folks to comply with these guidelines.[/MOD]

As an experiment, this project has been moved to be a bi-monthly challenge last year, that seemed to have worked so until further notice that is our format. The longer time frame theoretically will give less stress to painting, and allow more complex jobs, and more sinister challenges.

FAQ
      Reaper only? - No.
      If going on vacation, can I paint a mini(s) ahead to cover that time frame? - Yes.
      Are speed paints acceptable - Yes.
      Can it be a mini started previously? - Yes.
      Based or unbased? - Yes.
      Do minis for exchanges count? - Yes.

NEW RULE - Size Equivilancy
      (This list is subject to change as bones 3 releases)
      Medium and smaller = 1 ea
      Simple Terrain (plain floors, walls) = 1ea
      Complex Terrain (http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Terrain/latest/03518 or such) = 2 ea
      Large (Giants and the like) = 2 ea
      Huge (Most dragons, Demon Minotaur Lord, etc) = 3 ea
      Bigger (Kally, Khanjirra, etc) = half of quota – rounded up
      Colossal ("Tianot,") = quota

Due to the variable nature of a CAV I compare them against a generic 28mm figure and the Avatar large figure. I take height and bulk into considering if it is worth 1 or 2 figures.
      If it's not in this list, it counts as 1.

If you have a question on the size, please post it here, and I'll address them individually.

Much like last year, the idea is to help those of us that normally paint VERY little, to start painting more.

You challenge begins...now!

And Our Mantra:

Participants:
      If your name is missing, or you believe your count is incorrect, please PM me. Please note: to make counts easier, you must post in the bi-monthly thread.

The objective:
      To paint 52+ minis throughout the course of the year via bi-monthly quota
      (each bi-monthly thread will have the quota listed as well as the master list)

What qualifies:
      Darn near anything!
      Reaper/non-reaper!
      Any material!
      Shelf of shame minis from ages long forgotten!
      Exchange minis!
      Speed paints!
      Armies! (Though I'd encourage perhaps something outside the army as well)
      Any Size!
      Based/unbased!
      Etc! (I think that covers everything)

Jan/Feb: 8: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/78658-janfeb-rpchallenge/
      March/April: 9: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/79997-marchapril-rpchallenge/
      May/June: 9 Oops.
      July/August: 9:
      Sept/Oct: 8:
      Nov/Dec: 9: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/82946-end-of-year-rpchallenge-oct-nov-dec/

Again, I request that when tagging your posts, please use "RPChallenge" to help with locating minis from this.
    • By NomadZeke
      Pretty certain at this point I fell off the wagon got ran over by it, then chased it down and set it on fire (given the drought of these - explanation is in the chatter thread)

Please see the main post here for rules, questions and general chatter, while using this thread to keep a list of links to your show-offs or show-off related comments in a single post: A reminder to please adhere to miniatures posting guidelines as usual.
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/78657-resolutionary-painting-challenge-2018-chatterquestions/
      All the information you need should be here.

Due to the delay, there is going to be a normal and hard challenge for each month.

Your challenge is: 13!

October Bonus: This is Halloween! - Paint a mini using only colors that have black, orange, and purple in the name. You may also use "Fresh Blood" and "Spectral White" as they are part of the monthly promotion.
      Hard mode: Jack-o-lantern's light - Paint a mini where the only source of light would be coming from inside a jack-o-lantern. Pumpkin may be part of the mini/base or sculpted

November Bonus: Festive feast - Since both US And Canada have their Thanksgiving in this time bracket - paint up a mini (figure or terrain) to have some food being presented
      Hard mode: Liquid Cheer - This can be done with the above - paint a mini where it's holding a drinking vessel - but paint it as though the mug were glass and you could see the drink inside from the sides (in theme - ale or wine is the best use)

December Bonus: Winter Solstice - To celebrate the shortest day of the year - paint a halfling or dwarf decked in wintry colors (think blues/grays/whites, maybe brown and a little bit of evergreen)
      Hard Mode: Gift wrapped - paint a mini with any inorganic parts (metal, cloth, etc) being done to resemble giftwrap - little candy canes, trees, text, stripes, etc - bows optional

Good luck

The game is made up and the points don't matter
    • By Rat13
      I've made no secret about my opinions on Games Workshop. Though my painting box is full of their miniatures they were always bought second and sometimes third hand (I never wanted GW to get any of my money). Even my previous Cadians were bought from my local games store that has no affiliation with GW (I also know those sets and blisters came with the business when it was bought almost twenty years ago). Now I find myself in the unique position of building a Cadian army.

My wife and I used to play weekly in D&D Adventure League but with the birth of our first child it looks like that won't be possible (We want to continue gaming at our current store but its a bit of drive and the kid is at the rolling stage so she doesn't want to be held or sit in her seat; she wants to be on the floor and we all know what gameshop floors are like). I've offered to watch the child so she can go or to switch off each week but she only wants to go together. Gaming together has always been part of our relationship, and she doesn't want to lose that. I couldn't agree more, its good to share a hobby with your spouse.

That's when our friends started trying to recruit us to play Warhammer 40K with them. At first I was resistant but our friends get together often to play and in our area its always possible to find a game (Depending on the size it can be played fairly quickly in comparison to D&D too). After some discussion we decided 40K would give me something to paint, but it would also give us both something to play and eventually something to play together.

Which brings us to this new project. Since I figured watching me assemble miniatures would be pretty boring I'm starting this thread right before I prime them. So here is most of my assembled starter set (I've got quite a few cheap sets of bits arriving over the next couple weeks and I'm not exactly sure what unit I'd like to create next so that's why I have so many unfinished figures).

I'm still not a big fan of GW but having an excuse to see our friends more often is pretty nice. In a way we're kinda trading one gaming group for another (that sounds pretty mean but I think you understand what I'm saying).
    • By Chris Palmer
      I bought into the recent Terrain Crate Kickstarter; getting the Dungeon Crate, and the Battlefield Crate, along with the Dark Lord's Tower set.  My Terrain Crate shipment arrived in the early Summer, and I immediately painted two of the large tents that came with the "Campsite" portion of the Battlefield Crate to use in a game I did at Historicon.  Recently, I've been painting some of the "Abandoned Mine" stuff from the Dungeon Crate, as I am preparing for a game a friend and I are doing at Fall-In using our Tablescapes Dungeon Mines sets.    

I thought I'd start a thread to chronicle the pieces I paint, to help me keep track, and to help keep me motivated to keep plowing through.  There's a lot of pieces!   I hope to use a bunch of it in my Fall-In game, so have some motivation there as well.

Big Tents:

The Terrain Crate stuff goes great with the Tablescapes Dungeon Mines sets.

Explosives:

Tool Racks:

• By PerpetuusRex
      Hi Everyone!
      I'm new here, though I have been a lurker for many years at this point.  I used to be quite into painting and sculpting miniatures but took a break when I went to college and I want to get back into it.  I've backed bones 4 so I figured I should start warming up for it!  
      So, after a four year break here is what I'm working on:

Any feedback or critique would be wonderful!

Cheers,
      PR
  • Who's Online   29 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)