Heisler

CMPA's Moving to Third Saturday Painting - Denver CO

Okay matching names, faces and forum handles.  

Which forum member is painting the orangutan bust? 

I'm not sure that Nathan is actually on these forums.

The third Saturday of August (8/15) is coming up. We will be at Total Escape at 10:30 am on Saturday and painting till about 4 pm or so.

• Like 1

Sadly, I will missing again this month. :(

slacker

Really just a bad planner.  I planned a gameday at my house with friends then noticed it was 3rd Saturday.  I expect I won't see ya all till the workshop now unless I manage to come to the session the week before the workshop--which I doubt.

Just a reminder for Denver area painters or maybe you are visiting the area that this Saturday 9/19 is a regular third Saturday painting session. I'm not sure how well attended it will be as there is a three day painting workshop the following weekend. Hope to see folks at Total Escape this Saturday.

Now I remember a conversation about this over gyros. 

Expensive? check. Full? check.  I think I learned this much and then  forgot about it. 

Maybe next time. 

Well I'll come this weekend, likely not until nearly noon as my schedule permits. 

I need to look into that. Broomfield's a bit of a distance, though...

I need to look into that. Broomfield's a bit of a distance, though...

Well, I'm pretty sure I'm farther south of you in Aurora, or I'm coming from Ft Collins. I'm pretty sure I have you beat either way!

Sounds like you are painting the same day as we New Englanders!

Have a good time and paint well!

8)

George

• Like 1

No you are painting on the same day we are.  :;):

It was fun but it was a light day as I expected it to be. With a three day workshop starting on Friday next week most of our regulars passed on this session. That's okay though we have been meeting on a regular basis for years now (11 I think).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By PerpetuusRex
      Hi Everyone!
      I'm new here, though I have been a lurker for many years at this point.  I used to be quite into painting and sculpting miniatures but took a break when I went to college and I want to get back into it.  I've backed bones 4 so I figured I should start warming up for it!  
      So, after a four year break here is what I'm working on:

Any feedback or critique would be wonderful!

Cheers,
      PR
    • By NomadZeke
      I'm back to being late again!

Please see the main post here for rules, questions and general chatter, while using this thread to keep a list of links to your show-offs or show-off related comments in a single post: A reminder to please adhere to miniatures posting guidelines as usual.
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/78657-resolutionary-painting-challenge-2018-chatterquestions/
      All the information you need should be here.

Due to the revised format, there will be more than one bonus challenge available for this month. Including a "Hard mode" which Is some combination that may or may not have a source behind it.

Your challenge is: 9!

Bonus Challenge the first:
      March 26th is National Purple Day (raising awareness for epilepsy) - so paint a figure in monochrome purple. (Yes I know a slime would be an easy candidate)

Bonus Challenge the second:
      April Fools' Brigade - Paint a mini in a completely nonsensical paint scheme or other silliness. ex: CAV with a giant bullseye on it, Adventurer with a shield that says "I'm with tasty ->" or something similar.

Bonus Challenge the Fiv Three, sir, three!
      Monty Python and the Holy Grail released 33 years ago in April - paint up a figure to resemble a character from the movie

Good luck

The game is made up and the points don't matter
    • By NomadZeke
      [MOD]Please use the full SKU and name of Reaper minis in the titles of your Show Off threads, per forum guidelines. You can find this information on the blister card or in the online store. I also like to give credit to the sculptor in a tag, so people can find their favorites.

We have a high volume of posts generated from this challenge, which is great! But it's also creating a lot of work for the mods. Ladystorm has already urged folks to comply with these guidelines.[/MOD]

As an experiment, this project has been moved to be a bi-monthly challenge last year, that seemed to have worked so until further notice that is our format. The longer time frame theoretically will give less stress to painting, and allow more complex jobs, and more sinister challenges.

FAQ
      Reaper only? - No.
      If going on vacation, can I paint a mini(s) ahead to cover that time frame? - Yes.
      Are speed paints acceptable - Yes.
      Can it be a mini started previously? - Yes.
      Based or unbased? - Yes.
      Do minis for exchanges count? - Yes.

NEW RULE - Size Equivilancy
      (This list is subject to change as bones 3 releases)
      Medium and smaller = 1 ea
      Simple Terrain (plain floors, walls) = 1ea
      Complex Terrain (http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Terrain/latest/03518 or such) = 2 ea
      Large (Giants and the like) = 2 ea
      Huge (Most dragons, Demon Minotaur Lord, etc) = 3 ea
      Bigger (Kally, Khanjirra, etc) = half of quota – rounded up
      Colossal ("Tianot,") = quota

Due to the variable nature of a CAV I compare them against a generic 28mm figure and the Avatar large figure. I take height and bulk into considering if it is worth 1 or 2 figures.
      If it's not in this list, it counts as 1.

If you have a question on the size, please post it here, and I'll address them individually.

Much like last year, the idea is to help those of us that normally paint VERY little, to start painting more.

You challenge begins...now!

And Our Mantra:

Participants:
      If your name is missing, or you believe your count is incorrect, please PM me. Please note: to make counts easier, you must post in the bi-monthly thread.

The objective:
      To paint 52+ minis throughout the course of the year via bi-monthly quota
      (each bi-monthly thread will have the quota listed as well as the master list)

What qualifies:
      Darn near anything!
      Reaper/non-reaper!
      Any material!
      Shelf of shame minis from ages long forgotten!
      Exchange minis!
      Speed paints!
      Armies! (Though I'd encourage perhaps something outside the army as well)
      Any Size!
      Based/unbased!
      Etc! (I think that covers everything)

Jan/Feb: 8: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/78658-janfeb-rpchallenge/
      March/April: 9: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/79997-marchapril-rpchallenge/
      May/June: 9
      July/August: 9:
      Sept/Oct: 8:

Nov/Dec: 9:

Again, I request that when tagging your posts, please use "RPChallenge" to help with locating minis from this.
    • By CashWiley
      So I've been slacking on both updating here and on my blog. Here it feels odd because I don't really paint minis these days (though I want to!) and the blog kinda died when I switched hosting away from wordpress.com, my views basically dried up. I'm active on FB but I keep my friends list very tight (no offense to anyone intended), I should open up my image folders to the public, but I hesitate to do that on FB. Here's a link to my thread from last year: 

Anyway, I'll try to catch up a bit for year 3 (what!?!). Here's the YTD WIPs from oil portraiture class. Same model, same painting. Getting into some more advanced stuff with glazes, trying to add physical depth to the painting. At this point it's starting to get pretty luminous in some areas. The physical light on the painting can pass through some of the oil-heavy layers and pick up color from pigments along the way, hit the underlayers and shine or dull for the return journey. Cool stuff, I begin to understand the reason people say you can't appreciate an old master oil painting in a photo, you miss all the complex stuff the physical light does interacting with the layers. Each of these represents a 3 hour session, or about 2 hours of painting time.

I've also narrowed my focus in drawing to portraiture, so I can bring up my skills for heads. Since I want to pursue figurative works, having solid portrait skills is going to be crucial, and it helps me stay focused in my studies and hopefully avoid lulls between studies. I'm taking Stan Prokopenko's portrait lessons as a premium member, but he makes most of these lessons free on his Proko youtube channel. I like to make study sheets while I watch the videos, and draw as many examples as I can. I picked up this amazing habit from Patrick Jones, it's really helpful for learning and later reference. Each sheet is 18x24 charcoal on newsprint.

The final two lessons are charcoal portrait copies, where the reference photo is on one side of the screen and Stan draws on the other side, explaining his process as he draws. Here I've just about wrapped up the lay-in step. Charcoal on newsprint approx 11x14.

• By Pingo
      So I have gotten comments like this now and again:

and again:

so I thought I would start a thread to talk some about how I paint, because it works pretty well for me and maybe what I've learned and practiced can help other people too.

How I paint miniatures is grounded in how I paint paintings, so that's what I'm going to talk about here.

I have a series of WIP photos from a recent painting which I will use to demonstrate.

This is the finished painting:

"Nurturing the Phoenix", oil paint on wooden panel, approx. 18"x24" (would have to pull it out of the painting closet and measure to check)
  • Who's Online   27 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)