Willen

My next and last airbrush

Hi folks!

Recent post about reviving a Paasche airbrush remembered me I have taken the desition to buy a third airbrush even if the wife does not approve  :devil:

I have two Sparmax airbrushes (basically Iwata clones) with all the hardware, basically I am using a dual-action gravity feed 0.35mm needle airbrush, and loving it. 

But I feel the trigger is a bit rough, and seriously want to drop some money into my next, and last, airbrush.

I am eyeing the Paasche Talon TG-3F, among others... I would love an airbrush able to do small, detail work (my control is pretty fine right now but the rough trigger and 0.35mm needle are starting to be a limiter, I think).

There is a pretty nice airbrush store in Buenos Aires, their prices double the american dollar amount, but well...

So, those of you friends who are already experienced, if you could afford any airbrush in the world, what would you get? And why?

And if it was an airbrush of no more than 200-250 USD? (That would probably be around the 600USD mark here btw).

• Like 2

I have experience with only one, a Thayer & Chandler (Badger) Omni 5000. It breaks down pretty easily and gives quite good performance, in my limited opinion.

If I had the money, I'd be looking at either a Badger Renegade or a Badger SOTAR.

Most of my research before I bought came from this guy: https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/home

• Like 2

Willen,

Sorry to play  necromancer with your old thread, but I was out of the country when this one came around. The two airbrushes I own are an Iwata HP-CS with the .35mm needle, and the Paasche Talon TG-3F three needle set that you're looking at. Here in the states, the HP-CS ran me about $150. The Talon set cost a little over $100.

Having a second airbrush with the smaller needle is nice, but the Talon does not feel like it is made as well as the HP-CS. The trigger on the Talon gives me more trouble than the HP-CS does. I hit both with superlube, so they're getting the same cleaning and treatment.  I've tried both of the smaller Talon needle sets and neither one works as smooth as the one needle I have for the Iwata. The Talon just feels more "finicky' than the other. The Iwata also feels more solid.

A couple of plusses plus for the Paasche besides the three needle kit, is the fact that the nozzle on the Iwata just sits between the main body and the cap. I worry about pulling/wiggling it free when it come off with the cap. On the Talon, the Tip (their part name for the nozzle) actually screws into the main body. You know exactly what's happening when you take that piece off. Also, Paasche spare parts run about 40-45% of the cost of Iwata spares for needles and nozzles.

I'm not sure on the build quality of the Sparmax gear, but I'd say the Paasche doesn't quite hold up to the Iwata. I do still like the Paasche, I just think the Iwata is a better made tool.

I'm at the point where I'm not going to buy another unless I get a chance to try it out first, as the two I have are still quite serviceable. Though I'd lean towards a higher end Iwata brush from my experice so far.

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments. Since then, I tried to buy the Talon but the only place I could reasonably buy it and take it with me home, it was asking like 180 Euros, so nah.

I ended up buying a Harder&Steenbeck 2-in-1, an airbrush much praised by the Euro painters, but got it shipped to a friend in Spain that will (eventually, but not nearly soon enough for my anxiety!!) come to Argentina. It includes a .15 and a .40 needle and tip, floating tip (not screw-in, which my Sparmax has and TBH I fear breaking or loosing the little thing everytime I clean it).

Thank you again for the comments. Glad I didn't spend so much money on that one Talon I found.

• Like 1

Wow, that looks like a great airbrush. I think you picked out a winner there.  I'm still mostly using mine for priming and a little rough basecoating. I was hoping the Talon would give me more control for finer painting, but I think at this point it's my own skills or lack of practice that's holding me back on that. I wish I had your dedication to painting.

That's my standard airbrush now. I have been using it for almost 3 years.

The H&S? How do you like it?

• Like 1

I picked up a Badger Anthem 155 double action brush yesterday.  Haven't used it yet, but I can post some thoughts here when I do if anyone is interested.

The Egg

• Like 3

Sorry Willen I missed this post from you. I like the H&S enough that I haven't bothered to get the pieces I need to fix my Iwata or even seriously look at another airbrush. That being said you have to keep it really clean when working with a finer needle it can clog really easy sometimes.
  • Like 1

I picked up a Badger Anthem 155 double action brush yesterday.  Haven't used it yet, but I can post some thoughts here when I do if anyone is interested.

The Egg

Sure, or on its own thread even better, so the information is available to anyone looking for it.

Sorry Willen I missed this post from you. I like the H&S enough that I haven't bothered to get the pieces I need to fix my Iwata or even seriously look at another airbrush. That being said you have to keep it really clean when working with a finer needle it can clog really easy sometimes.

Nice to know. My own H&S is with a friend in Madrid who ended up having all his trips to Argentina cancelled... so I need to go to Spain pronto  :down:

Nice to know. My own H&S is with a friend in Madrid who ended up having all his trips to Argentina cancelled... so I need to go to Spain pronto  :down:

You don't seem to have much luck with people who claim to be headed to Argentina and will bring you stuff, do you?  ::(:

I'm still hoping that one of these days, we'll be able to get down there.

Ron

• Like 1

Yeah well, nevermind. Money and stuff comes and goes anyway, friendships stay so I don't care THAT much... I just appreciate the person that offered in the first place.

But I would LOVE to get my H&S  :blush:

BTW, there is a guy from accenture taking my french class. You know where I am whenever you travel this way, house is always open for you.

• Like 1

I think iwata make a really nice airbrush. I own 3 badgers, 1 H&S AL plus and one iwata. I have also owned a paasche and grex but I gave one away and returned the grex. Badger are decent and cheap in the US so I bought several they have tiny fluid nozzles though so they are annoying to lose when they fall out, and they fall out a lot. H&S is highly praised among many top level modellers but I have to say its probably my least favorite because the needle is so delicate. I bent my .2mm fluid nozzle using a qtip to clean off tip dry, but truthfully it could have been my own fault. The grex had a very heavy trigger and also had soft needles (notice a trend here? maybe I"m just too heavy handed!). My paasche was my first and actually a very quality airbrush in retrospect I'd recommend a talon for anyone. 

But The iwata is quality through and through, their nozzle system is annoying and requires a tool to remove, something it shares with the paasche but their needles are super tough and even though its .23mm it has stood up to the fingernail test really well. I also find their accessory products like the vinyl coil hose and quick release fittings to be the best i've tried, my badger hoses and quick releases leaked like crazy. 

I use my badger krome the most but I think the iwata is my best airbrush hands down.

Ya'll need to stop about with the talk about airbrushes:  I'm now tempted to start looking into H&S.  :;):

BTW, there is a guy from accenture taking my french class. You know where I am whenever you travel this way, house is always open for you.

Thank you!  I'd love to get to Buenos Aires, and I'd love to get back to Argentina.  Probably won't have even a chance until sometime next year given how things are going.

Ron

• Like 1